News: Cowboys Nation Nuggets: Week 12 (and then some)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Nation Nuggets: Week 12 (and then some)
http://cowboyszone.com/2016/11/cowboys-nation-nuggets-week-12-and-then-some.html

This was a much better Thanksgiving for the Dallas Cowboys and their fans, for the first time in three years we were all able to enjoy our desserts and leftovers after the annual Turkey Day game. Even better, a 10-1 record has given us reason to really celebrate how good this team is, after all, they have the best record in the NFL. Downplay the Cowboys all you want, but there is no denying that fact.

Sweeping the Commanders is a thing of beauty and the Cowboys now have five games left to help them secure the NFC East and establish their playoff seeding. Here are the Cowboys Nation Nuggets for week 12:

Non-threat: The Commanders are no longer a threat to division, now it’s just the New York Giants who can challenge for the NFC East crown. The sweep rendered the Commanders to wild card status and if the Cowboys can beat the Giants in two weeks, it would seal up the division. Thanksgiving cleared up some of the clutter.

Haters: Amazing that people still have the temerity to mention Dallas’ schedule as the reason they are 10-1. It’s hard to win games in the NFL, no matter the opponent. It’s even harder to win games on the road, where the Cowboys are undefeated and have won in tough places like Lambeau and Heinz Fields. They have now beaten Washington twice and won tough games against the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens. Nothing soft about winning games, which is the whole point anyway.

Gavin Escobar: Go ahead and watch Escobar as a blocker against the Commanders; he is much improved. He had a huge block to help spring Ezekiel Elliott for 21-yards in the fourth quarter when the Cowboys needed some offensive momentum. The offense needed Escobar to step up when asked and he has done an admirable job so far.

J.J. Wilcox: We know this has been his breakout season and his injury status would be another blow for an already ailing secondary, even if they get Barry Church back this week. He sets the tone in the secondary with his big hits and he had another one against the Commanders. The intimidation factor that Wilcox brings shouldn’t be overlooked, let’s hope he’s on track to play again soon.

Anthony Brown: It was a rough game for Brown, who finally had a rookie moment giving up the long touchdown to DeSean Jackson. Brown hasn’t shown any signs of backing down from a challenge and doesn’t appear to lack confidence, so we’ll see how he reacts against Minnesota. Expect another bounce back performance.

David Irving: The guy needs to play more, period. Irving has proven that he can be a disruptive force on the inside, the only question is if he is effective because of limited snaps? The Cowboys should find out because the lack of play makers on defense is an issue and Irving is one of the best they have. It’s time to unleash David Irving.

Turnovers and Sacks: The Cowboys are winning despite not forcing turnovers or getting consistent pressure on the quarterback. It isn’t luck, but they need to start getting more of both if they want to make a deep run in the playoffs. They have five weeks to figure it out.

Missing TD’s: Dak Prescott has been awesome, no doubt, but he missed at least two easy touchdowns against the Commanders. It isn’t the first time he’s missed wide open guys for scores and it may come back and bite the Cowboys at some point. Really the only thing to crow about with Prescott.

Coaching: This coaching staff has done a great job of changing up game plans each week. What’s worked for them in prior weeks has been tucked away for a weeks, then brought back later. The Cowboys haven’t used the read-option or the quarterback keeper much lately, but used them to perfection against the Commanders. Another great play call was the quick screen to Cole Beasley to fool the Commanders’ defense to run out the clock. The aggressiveness and creativity from the coaching staff has been outstanding this season.

Jason Garrett: His clapping annoys people (no idea why?), but what about his other go-to moves? The emphatic shove when he’s excited and the head slaps after big plays have also become staples of his enthusiasm. His players love him and he has done a heck of a coaching job this season, he deserves his accolades from Cowboys Nation.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I may be in the minority but I think Heath can be just as intimidating if he has to replace Wilcox. I'd much rather have Church play alongside Jones than Wilcox.

Irving may be the best per-snap d-lineman but I think his effectiveness is because he is not asked to play too many minutes. He reminds me of Leon Lett in the early days when Lett was not a full-time starter. He (and Jimmy Jones as well) was most effective coming off the bench.

As for coaching, I'm still waiting for the pass to Looney when he checks in as an eligible player.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heath is a great hitter, but a bit of liability in pass coverage, but he has improved. I do like his take no prisoners attitude. We need that on D.
Wilcox has been much better this year.
But we do still miss Mo back there. Church being back will help a lot.

I would like to see Irving in there more also. Where has T. Crawford gone too, have not heard his name called all season it seems. And yes, agree, and the team has said this, Irving reminds them of Lett. and Leon has taken him under his wing to coach him up. He needs more plays.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
There's a good reason Garrett claps. The worst thing that can happen after a bad play is for the team to get down on itself.
...and his clapping has the same effect on games as Romo wearing his cap backwards (somewhere south of NONE). Some people just look for things to try to bolster an agenda. Haven't heard too many complaints about his clapping so far this year, though.

fifaguy

Reaction score
...and his clapping has the same effect on games as Romo wearing his cap backwards (somewhere south of NONE). Some people just look for things to try to bolster an agenda. Haven't heard too many complaints about his clapping so far this year, though.

Nor will you, unless....

Sage3030

Reaction score
Oh, I know...the whole "complaints about clapping" is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of to complain about, though.

LiquidUnlinedCirriped.gif

fifaguy

Reaction score
Oh, I know...the whole "complaints about clapping" is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of to complain about, though.

I was among the guilty party at that time, but have since gained a greater appreciation for what JG and his asst coaches are doing. With a little luck, we could be playing in the SB later this winter...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

You know what does affect the outcome of games? The sense your coach has lost faith in you.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Heath is a great hitter, but a bit of liability in pass coverage, but he has improved. I do like his take no prisoners attitude. We need that on D.
Wilcox has been much better this year.
But we do still miss Mo back there. Church being back will help a lot.

I would like to see Irving in there more also. Where has T. Crawford gone too, have not heard his name called all season it seems. And yes, agree, and the team has said this, Irving reminds them of Lett. and Leon has taken him under his wing to coach him up. He needs more plays.

That is an indictment of who we have at DE, he is the second best DE on the team, even though it was concluded when they switched to 4-3 he was a non factor at DE, he just does not have the skills to be pass rusher DE.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
The clapping can be annoying when the team is stacking one error on top of another and, as a frustrated fan, you just want to see someone get their butt chewed out. But one of Garrett's strengths seems to be getting his men to respond so it's hard to be too critical when you stand back a bit.

Aven8

Reaction score
Heath tackles well and seems to do everything well, hits hard, etc. But, he's always a step behind on almost every throw. He gets there, but just late.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Where has T. Crawford gone too, have not heard his name called all season it seems.

He really needs to take a paycut, like Free and such have had to do. He is getting paid way too much money to be a JAG out there.

Heck, if we get another real DE or 2 out there for next year, where does TCraw even play?? I don't want him out there over Collins, McClain, Irving and such in the middle.

He is making himself real cutable.