Twitter: Cowboys need help at edge rusher. Some free agents remaining

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
As of right now it would be Crawford and potentially Randy Gregory. Someone posted earlier ‘why haven't the Cowboys cut Crawford’, I haven’t opened the thread but thats why - currently he’s really all we have.

So we are holding on to a guy who absolutely sucks at DE and is an average tackle while at the same time paying him a small fortune, instead of cutting him and getting better at the spot by either signing a free agent or drafting a guy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And they seem to think he was far better 'against the run' than he ever truly was.

Again I'll mention that Rams playoff game, to the tune of 273 yards rushing allowed. A great deal of that was Gregory's handiwork.

At 240 lbs he's not going to ever be great against the run, imao, he's basically a situational pass rusher, again imao. Not that that's bad, but Cowboys still need a true full time (or wht passes for full time these days, with all the defensive packages teams have) DE. Now maybe Armstrong is ready to be that guy, but don't think anybody will be surprised if they draft another DE, or pick up another Quinn-type guy. That seems to be Dallas' go-to strategy, pick up older guys on 1-2 year contracts, then move on from them and get another one. That might be a good strategy, I've never claimed to be an NFL-quality GM :rolleyes:.

Unlike some here;)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So we are holding on to a guy who absolutely sucks at DE and is an average tackle while at the same time paying him a small fortune, instead of cutting him and getting better at the spot by either signing a free agent or drafting a guy.

Considering how much Dallas will save by cutting him, I'd be surprised if they keep him. The Cowboys recently have valued the "can play multiple positions" guys, but maybe that will change with McCarthy, et al...

ultron

Reaction score
Currently he’s all we have, I would’ve cut him 2 years ago but CURRENTLY HE’S ALL WE HAVE. You can’t get rid of someone if you have no one to replace them. He’ll be gone or take a major pay cut.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

If they make another move on the DL in free agency, I think it may coincide with a move on Crawford. That being either a pay cut or outright release. No need to do it just for the sake of it when there is plenty of time to work out a deal for his replacement and then free up the cap for the new guy. It think its coming, we fans are just impatient.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Olivier Vernon could receive a 1yr show me type of contract. He has struggled to stay healthy the last few years, but is a very balance DE, one who can stop the run and offers plus pass rush abilities.