News: Cowboys News: Ezekiel Elliott Likely To Miss Preseason Opener, Plus Camp Highlights

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys News: Ezekiel Elliott Likely To Miss Preseason Opener, Plus Camp Highlights
Cowboys News: Ezekiel Elliott Likely To Miss Preseason Opener, Plus Camp Highlights

...Start Hitting Some Other Guys

Familiarity breeds distress, and nowhere is this more evident than in NFL camps where with increasing camp length, more and more fights and scuffles break out among teammates.

The Cowboys haven't had a full-fledged brawl yet, but they came close today when Demarcus Lawrence and David Irving got into a shouting match and had to be restrained by teammates. Irving was upset with Lawrence "getting into his reach level" and did not mince words telling Lawrence about it.

"Brothers fight and get over it," Irving said after practice. "I messed up a call. That’s not good for the team, so you get that sometimes. But we’re cool. Family fight."

Yesterday, Leon Lett and Rod Marinelli got into a shouting match, in today's 10th training camp practice it was the players, and when tensions start building up like that it's always good to get fresh faces to focus on. The Cowboys have one more practice tomorrow before they get to face the Rams on Saturday, and with the way the Cowboys have been practicing (and with the memory of last year's brawl in the joint practice with the Rams), I'm expecting a very aggressive Cowboys defense to take to the field on Saturday.

"Everyone is ready," Irving said. "We’re pumped. We’re amped."

Excitement Building For Defensive Line

I know it's fashionable to pooh-pooh the Cowboys defensive line. But after two live practices, I have to admit that my excitement is building. Granted, these two practices coincided with the return of Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, and Cedric Thornton to practice, but this D-line clearly has potential, especially inside.

I'm not quite sure when the Cowboys were last able to consistently bring pressure inside, probably in 2009, but certainly long before the switch back to a 4-3 scheme. The absence of inside pressure meant that opposing QBs could simply take two small steps up in the pocket to avoid what little outside pressure the Cowboys could generate.

That is going to change this year. I don't know that that will necessarily result in more sacks (though I hope it will), but the pocket for opposing QBs will get decidedly smaller and less comfortable.

Today, DeMarcus Lawrence would have had a sack against Tyron Smith during team drills, David Irving would have sacked Romo up the middle, and Ryan Russell had a would-be sack on Dak Prescott that exemplifies what this D-line can do: The DTs crashed through the middle of the line collapsing the pocket, Prescott couldn't step up to avoid pressure, and Russell got him coming from the outside.

And the Cowboys are deep at DT. They probably won't keep more than four (maybe five) guys. Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, and Cedric Thornton are probably roster locks, and there's no way the Cowboys release 3rd-round pick Maliek Collins. That's already four guys, and leaves Jack Crawford, Rodney Coe, and Lawrence Okoye on the outside looking in.

That's a very good problem to have...

marchetta

Reaction score
Am I the only one to initially read the title as "...Season Opener?" Give me a second while my heart stops fluttering.

plymkr

Reaction score
Ha, yeah I did that too. But once my panic attack subsided, I'm still a little disappointed not to see 21 in action. It's like waiting for Christmas.

Big D

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if we can bring pressure up the middle vs the rams oline. If we can show flashes that will be enough to stir up some excitement. On the other side the rams interior dline is pretty good. I will be a nice early test for the 'best oline in the league' as well. Football is back! Oohwee!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew Romo would not play, I think we all knew that.
I figured even if Healthy to play,Zeke make have got one series.
Dez, probably not. Maybe even no Sean Lee.

I doubt we see very many starters, and if so, not for very long. Actually just about every preseason game will be like that. LOL.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
EE, Dunbar and DMC are out....do we have enough RBs to get the reps?.....AMorris, DJackson, RSmith?

CCBoy

Reaction score
EE, Dunbar and DMC are out....do we have enough RBs to get the reps?.....AMorris, DJackson, RSmith?
That in a training environment smells of opportunity. They better not just be fills.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Well, I am not sure what the mystery is at DT. Unless there is an injury, the DTs making the team are definitely both Crawfords, Thornton, Collins, and McClain.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
How does someone 20 years old pull a freaking hamstring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRE THE TRAINING STAFF

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

...Start Hitting Some Other Guys

Familiarity breeds distress, and nowhere is this more evident than in NFL camps where with increasing camp length, more and more fights and scuffles break out among teammates.

The Cowboys haven't had a full-fledged brawl yet, but they came close today when Demarcus Lawrence and David Irving got into a shouting match and had to be restrained by teammates. Irving was upset with Lawrence "getting into his reach level" and did not mince words telling Lawrence about it.

"Brothers fight and get over it," Irving said after practice. "I messed up a call. That’s not good for the team, so you get that sometimes. But we’re cool. Family fight."

Yesterday, Leon Lett and Rod Marinelli got into a shouting match, in today's 10th training camp practice it was the players, and when tensions start building up like that it's always good to get fresh faces to focus on. The Cowboys have one more practice tomorrow before they get to face the Rams on Saturday, and with the way the Cowboys have been practicing (and with the memory of last year's brawl in the joint practice with the Rams), I'm expecting a very aggressive Cowboys defense to take to the field on Saturday.

"Everyone is ready," Irving said. "We’re pumped. We’re amped."

Excitement Building For Defensive Line

I know it's fashionable to pooh-pooh the Cowboys defensive line. But after two live practices, I have to admit that my excitement is building. Granted, these two practices coincided with the return of Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, and Cedric Thornton to practice, but this D-line clearly has potential, especially inside.

I'm not quite sure when the Cowboys were last able to consistently bring pressure inside, probably in 2009, but certainly long before the switch back to a 4-3 scheme. The absence of inside pressure meant that opposing QBs could simply take two small steps up in the pocket to avoid what little outside pressure the Cowboys could generate.

That is going to change this year. I don't know that that will necessarily result in more sacks (though I hope it will), but the pocket for opposing QBs will get decidedly smaller and less comfortable.

Today, DeMarcus Lawrence would have had a sack against Tyron Smith during team drills, David Irving would have sacked Romo up the middle, and Ryan Russell had a would-be sack on Dak Prescott that exemplifies what this D-line can do: The DTs crashed through the middle of the line collapsing the pocket, Prescott couldn't step up to avoid pressure, and Russell got him coming from the outside.

And the Cowboys are deep at DT. They probably won't keep more than four (maybe five) guys. Tyrone Crawford, Terrell McClain, and Cedric Thornton are probably roster locks, and there's no way the Cowboys release 3rd-round pick Maliek Collins. That's already four guys, and leaves Jack Crawford, Rodney Coe, and Lawrence Okoye on the outside looking in.

That's a very good problem to have...
I dont see a situation where Jack Crawford gets cut. He has been productive for us and offers a good amount of versatility

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I knew Romo would not play, I think we all knew that.
I figured even if Healthy to play,Zeke make have got one series.
Dez, probably not. Maybe even no Sean Lee.

I doubt we see very many starters, and if so, not for very long. Actually just about every preseason game will be like that. LOL.
Id love to see a half of Prescott and a half of Showers. Should give us a solid 10 to 15 attempts per.

That would be a very good look. Gives you a good chance to look at how they translate at least physically to the NFL