News: Cowboys offense evolves from idealistic to realistic (Sturm)

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
So, let's bring this all together. Is Gavin Escobar proving he was worth all of the trouble? Not yet. We have yet to see him put on a show downfield that makes this all click into place. If he had, we may not ask ourselves tough questions, but so far, he is slow to show his quality. And unfortunately, he is not a great run blocker. And that is where the shortfall might put the Cowboys right back in the same place they were trying to avoid. They want to get their running game going. But, the offensive line has not progressed much and the negative runs were still all around on Saturday. Geno Atkins was still destroying your guards and putting the Cowboys in spots where they were allowing negative plays to lead to punts. And Escobar cannot help balance the offense out at this point as he is still be taught how to run block on the fly. But, more importantly, they cannot get the same 2 guards around Travis Frederick for more than a few moments.

It was Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Then, Ron Leary and Bernadeau. Then, David Arkin and Bernadeau. Then, Bernadeau and Doug Free. And, of course, during this time, Brandon Moore and Brian Waters were being courted to replace all of the above. Free, by the way, looked an awful lot like Arkin in his debut inside. When he was uncovered, he could help and get to the 2nd level with strong efficiency. But, when he was challenged at the snap, he was outmatched. Honestly, how did anyone think that a guy who has strength issues against 260 lb defensive ends think that he would be an option against 300 lb defensive tackles? I understand having a plan for emergencies, but Free makes almost no sense at guard for precisely the reasons that he struggles at tackle. It isn't the feet as much as it is the strength. And guards have to play low and be strong. Free is not very good at either.
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/s...-from-idealistic-?blockID=932871&feedID=10194

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's looking ugly for sure. The offense is really going to have to game plan around no running game,,,,,,again. More pressure on Romo,,,,,again. More mistakes by everyone,,,,,again. We need a miracle Jerry, a miracle I tell ya. Help us!

CowboyDiver

Reaction score
Is Sturm really burmafrd?

We're doomed I tell ya. Sturm has really turned chicken little, especially given the play of the offense against the Bengals.

Has it been noticed that the starting D didn't give up a TD in preseason?

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
hated the Escobar pick then, and I hate it even more now.. smh

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten has not caught many balls this preseason either. Does Sturm suggest we just cut him because he not worth the trouble?

Free was OK at Guard. He was not getting bull-rushed like he did at RT last season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get this take from Sturm. That was about as stout a front as we're going to play all year, and the OL was not a significant problem. We put up 24 points, after all.

And the criticism re: our OGs is only fair if you're counting the fact that they've both been injured both preseasons. If they weren't both out right now, we wouldn't be talking about the relative lack of interior line depth. It's fine to criticize both players for being unable to stay on the field, but, given that they weren't obvious injury risks before we signed them, it's hardly the team neglecting the position.

Reaction score
I don't get this take from Sturm. That was about as stout a front as we're going to play all year, and the OL was not a significant problem. We put up 24 points, after all.

And the criticism re: our OGs is only fair if you're counting the fact that they've both been injured both preseasons. If they weren't both out right now, we wouldn't be talking about the relative lack of interior line depth. It's fine to criticize both players for being unable to stay on the field, but, given that they weren't obvious injury risks before we signed them, it's hardly the team neglecting the position.

It's hard enough to justify keeping a solid starter that is injured/unreliable, it's another thing saving a roster spot for someone that sucks and is also injured/unreliable.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
As it stands now, 11 personnel puts the Cowboys' best offense players on the field. I agree with that much. However, there's no rule mandating you have to line up in shotgun with 11 personnel. Romo can still take the snap from under center and hand it off. As I recall, they did that very thing a few times on Saturday -- running under center from 11 personnel.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
As it stands now, 11 personnel puts the Cowboys' best offense players on the field. I agree with that much. However, there's no rule mandating you have to line up in shotgun with 11 personnel. Romo can still take the snap from under center and hand it off. As I recall, they did that very thing a few times on Saturday -- running under center from 11 personnel.

On the TD pass to DEZ romo was in the shotgun the. Looks like he shouted out something and walked down and took the snap from center and threw a quick pass to Dez

dogberry

Reaction score
Bring me up to speed. If we go 11, does the defense go with 5 DBs?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, I think Sturm was off base on this one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Sturm really burmafrd?

We're doomed I tell ya. Sturm has really turned chicken little, especially given the play of the offense against the Bengals.

Has it been noticed that the starting D didn't give up a TD in preseason?

LOL!

I think even Burms said Free was "OK".

Staubacher

Reaction score
When Leary gets back I could run thru the gaping holes in our left side. Tyron, Leary, Fred nice

dboyz

Reaction score

Sturm says:

But, the offensive line has not progressed much and the negative runs were still all around on Saturday. Geno Atkins was still destroying your guards and putting the Cowboys in spots where they were allowing negative plays to lead to punts.

I think Sturm is getting a little eeyore-ish here. I have a lot of problems with his hyper-negative take.

1. In the first half we had 18 runs for 45 yards by my count. Not all world mind you or even close, but enough to keep the defense honest. By my count, we had one negative run in the first half. We had a few carries of zero yards. We also had 137 yards on 18 attempts in the passing game and 2 TD's, so apparently there was some respect of the run.

2. We clearly are not showing a lot of our 12 stuff, like for instance downfield patterns by the TE's. This is what will be difficult for defenses. Do they play us in base or nickle. That will dictate what we do.

3. I disagree with his take on Free. He showed himself to be a superior option to Arkin at guard. The zone scheme works well for Free because he can move well. I'm not sure what Sturm is expecting to see (Larry Allen in his prime?) but Free was solid. It's the other position (Bernie or Parnell) that would concern me.

4. I actually I don't disagree that 11 personnel may be more effective initially because that group is pretty tough to defend. However, that personnel group can be very diverse in play calling. I think with improved line play, the 11 personnel could be an effective group to run out of. So we can come out with 11 personnel on 1st down and the other side will not know whether we will come under center and run a stretch play or go into shotgun and pass down the field.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
Bring me up to speed. If we go 11, does the defense go with 5 DBs?

If they don't, they'll either regret putting a LB on Williams/Austin/Harris or be forced to bring down their safeties to cover them leaving single coverage on Dez

T-RO

Reaction score
Those of us who were "chicken little" about the o-line the past two preseasons were 100% spot-on accurate. And those of you with rose colored glasses were 100% wrong.

It's funny how you boys never learn.

Get ready for year 3.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I thought Free did alright at guard. I think if the o-line can hold up like it did Saturday, i would take it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's looking ugly for sure. The offense is really going to have to game plan around no running game,,,,,,again. More pressure on Romo,,,,,again. More mistakes by everyone,,,,,again. We need a miracle Jerry, a miracle I tell ya. Help us!

Rushing Stats from the game:
J. Randle 16 66
D. Murray 12 51
P. Tanner 14 39

Deep_South

Reaction score
Those of us who were "chicken little" about the o-line the past two preseasons were 100% spot-on accurate. And those of you with rose colored glasses were 100% wrong.

It's funny how you boys never learn.

Get ready for year 3.

I've been critical of our offensive line, too, even suggesting at one point that our line was being overrun so badly we needed to call in artillery on our own position. But, we have improved year over year, and I think our running game will be pretty good when we get Leary back.