Cowboys offseason 2019

Sandyf

Reaction score
Cowboys offseason 2019

Offseason – what could happen, what I want to happen, roster, draft

It is time to move on from Saturday night. Glad we made the playoffs and wanted to go further but realistically getting to that game was a major deal after starting 3-5.

The first moves in the offseason will be coaching changes. There will be at least 2 moves and I hope they are ones I would like to see. Have to believe Jerry will force Garrett to change OC to another more innovative guy. Have to believe they are going to promote Richard to at least co-defensive coordinator although I believe he will be the DC.

It would be a better move to kick Garrett upstairs and hire someone like Lincoln Riley as the HC. The Jones will not just fire Garrett as he is too much of the family to them. A move to a guy like Riley or Riley himself would give them someone like a Sean Payton or Sean McVay.

The other guy Dallas needs to pay to keep is Marc Colombo as the line coach. He is a good friend of Brian Flores who will be the Miami HC soon so time to lock up Colombo now.

Here comes the roster and what we have and what I see as what we need to do.

Offense:

QB – Prescott, Rush, White

The whole Cowboy nation is split on Dak and will always be for one reason or another. He will be the QB for a long time as whether you want to believe it or not Dallas will extend him this offseason on at least a 5 year deal although a 10 year deal will not surprise me in the least. The cost is most likely going to be in the $20 million average range per year. Will Dallas draft another QB this year? Quite possibly although low percentage of that happening and would expect Rush and White both to be back as subs.

RB – Elliott, Jackson FB - Olawaze

There is not much to understand here other than Rod Smith is an UFA and I do expect Dallas will resign him to a team friendly contract. He could look elsewhere for more money, just do not believe he is going anywhere. Olawaze has been okay at FB although wouldn’t be surprised to start using an OL guy or a TE next season instead of the roster spot a FB. Jackson will have to beat out either a free agent or a draft pick to stay. No one should be surprised to see Dallas draft a guy like Bryce Love out of Stanford who is rehabbing an ACL say in the 4th or 5th rounds.

TE – Jarwin, Shultz, Gathers

Many fans are going to want Dallas to draft a TE and they may will do it although he will definitely have to be the BPA for it to happen. This means some guy has fallen that was unexpected. Frankly Irv Smith, Jr. would be a great get in the 2nd or 3rd round. We just have to understand that Dallas really likes the progress of Jarwin, Shultz and Gathers so I expect all 3 to be back. Yes, there is Swaim and he is an UFA and I just don’t see him back unless it is on an extremely friendly team contract but probably means drafting a TE will go out the window also. We will keep 4 TEs as always.

WR – Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson?, Hurns

Dallas is in very good shape at WR with Cooper and Gallup. There is a great chance Cooper will get an extension for 5 years at least in the offseason to lower his cap this coming year and the year after. Many have doubts about Brown, you need to look at all he does and then you will understand why the coaches love the guy. Wilson is a guy they have high hopes for and could see him in the mix. Both Austin and Beasley are UFA and I do expect one of the them back although not both and it will come down to money. Will we draft a WR, definitely although unless it is a guy rated highly then expect it be a late round guy or a UDFA guy after the draft. Hurns is a question mark as to when he could be back after his injury. The kid out of Clemson would be a nice one for the slot, Hunter Renfrow and probably get him with a late pick.

OL – Smith, Williams, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Looney, Su’a-Filo, Ehinger

Health is going to make a huge impact on the offseason for Dallas. Is Frederick coming back and at full strength? Will Williams be stronger and better? Is Collins going to be fine at RT? What to do about Smith’s back? Lots of questions to be answered this offseason and rather quickly. The backups of Looney, Filo, and Ehinger are fine and would suspect that we resign Fleming at a short term deal. I do believe we will draft an OL guy and probably a OT although much depends on what they believe Frederick will be. Suspect in the 2nd round it is going to be an OL guy or a DL guy. We could go the FA route although will have to see it to believe it in spending a large sum on any FA. Again we will only keep around 9 maybe 10 although just not anymore.

Defense:

DL – Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Crawford, Collins, Charlton, Woods

We probably see the most changes to our DT situation if anyone is guessing. Irving will be gone and the talent he has is amazing, it just isn’t to be though. I do believe we resign Lawrence to a 5 year deal around the $18 million a year mark. We definitely need a more consistent play making 3T and a 1T that can make a difference. This drafts offers great picks even into the 4th round so Dallas drafting one or two is not out of the question. I could see Dallas make a move up if a guy like Dexter Lawrence falls into the top of the 2nd or Renell Wren DT Arizona St who has the talent but need to be coached up in say the 5th round. Both can play the 3T or 1T positions.

LB – Smith, Vander Esch, Thomas, Covington

We are in great shape at LB and I did not list Lee because I do believe he will retire as a player although still be with the Cowboys as a LB coach. Wilson and March-Lillard are UFA guys and very doubtful that either will be back. I would suspect a 3rd tier FA, late round draft pick and especially a couple of UDFA guys after the draft to be signed and a couple of them to make the 53. A guy like Hodge out of Buffalo would be a great 7th round or UDFA.

CB/S – Awuzie, Jones, Lewis, Brown, Heath, Frazier, Woods, Goodwin

I could see us keeping 10 guys here and also could see if we make any free agent splash making it hear. This also holds true for the draft where I suspect we draft a safety and a corner somewhere in the draft. Woods has been a nice FS although if we make a splash in FA it will be either Earl Thomas or Landon Collins. I suspect it will be Thomas unless the Giants don’t franchise or resign Collins then betting he becomes the target due to age and not coming off a major injury. Draft wise, guys like Gardner-Johnson, Rapp, D. Thompson, Bell and Reed are names to know in the draft for Dallas. Going to have to see who falls in the draft at corner to see if Dallas drafts a corner.

ST – Jones, Mahler, Ladouceur

I can see them bringing in someone to challenge Mahler and do believe we resign Ladouceur just don’t see much else happening on special teams.

One thing to always remember is that the roster turnover each year is around 15 guys to 20 guys. I don’t expect it to be much different this year.

My mock draft which is unrealistic because these guys will not fall.

2nd round – Irv Smith, Jr. TE Alabama (trade of 2020 2nd and Taco Charlton)

2nd round – Dave Edwards OT Wisconsin

3rd round – Taylor Rapp S Washington

4th round – David Sills WR West Virginia

4th round (comp) – Joe Jackson DE Miami

5th round – Renell Wren DT Arizona St.

7th round – Michael Jordan OG/OC Ohio St

UDFA:

Trace McSorley QB Penn St.

Zach Gentry TE Michigan (would put weight on him and make him a OT)

Drue Tranquill OLB Notre Dame

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
I’d love Irv Smith but his stock is picking up ***, anyway if it sky rockets we gotta see what we can do in free agency then try BPA by our pick, unless of course we can jump ahead to beginning of the first.