CFZ Cowboys playing their 67th playoff game Sunday- most in NFL history

blueblood70

Reaction score
So we can suck for 25 years and still be #1,,, that needs to go on a T shirt or something. :flagwave:
No one needs to be on a T-shirt it's fans to stop saying that we suck when we don't just because we've been below expectations from the fan base doesn't make us suck it doesn't make us below average it doesn't make us bad the whole 28 year narrative is stupid that should be put on a T-shirt because it shows you that a lot of teams are not passing us up for good reason it's much tougher to get to championship games and Super Bowls than fans expectations think it is.... We are relative we contend we have a shot and that's all you can ask I mean I know we're all disappointed but there are far worse and far longer droughts from other teams not just around the NFL but around sports we're waiting on #6 and I know everyone wants to be impatient but in my opinion the Cowboys have credit when it comes to that that we should be more patient because we're not waiting on our first we're not waiting on our second or third we're literally waiting on #6...

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be playing their 67th playoff game Sunday, which is the most playoff games for an NFL franchise. Below are the best playoff records by teams in NFL history:
  • Cowboys: 36-30 (66 games)
  • Steelers: 36-27 (63 games)
  • Packers: 36-25 (61 games)
  • Patriots: 37-22 (59 games)
  • 49ers: 36-23 (59 games)
The pats have the most playoff wins with 37, but we can tie them with a win Sunday, then retake the lead with additional playoff wins this year. Also interesting, if the packers win Sunday, they take the lead in playoff wins.

One other interesting playoff stat - it’s easy to see the dominance of the two greatest Cowboys head coaches by playoff win numbers. Between Landry and Jimmy are 27 of the Cowboys 36 playoff wins. Those two HCs have 75% of all Cowboys playoff wins.
  • Tom Landry: 20-16
  • Jimmy Johnson: 7-1
Also interesting are playoff wins by Cowboys QBs:
  • Roger Staubach: 13-7
  • Troy Aikman: 11-5
  • Danny White: 5-5
  • Craig Morton: 2-2
  • Tony Romo: 2-4
  • Dak Prescott: 2-4
  • Steve Buerleine: 1-1
Let‘s get on a playoff roll and re-take the lead in playoff wins!.,
It's crazy to think about how much of the Cowboys’ playoff success came from just two coaches, Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson. They won 27 out of the 36 games. That's like having two legends score three-quarters of your points in a basketball game!

And talking about legends, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman together racked up more wins than some quarterbacks have playoff games. Even Dak Prescott has a shot at boosting his record this postseason.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys will be playing their 67th playoff game Sunday, which is the most playoff games for an NFL franchise. Below are the best playoff records by teams in NFL history:
The pats have the most playoff wins with 37, but we can tie them with a win Sunday, then retake the lead with additional playoff wins this year. Also interesting, if the packers win Sunday, they take the lead in playoff wins.

One other interesting playoff stat - it’s easy to see the dominance of the two greatest Cowboys head coaches by playoff win numbers. Between Landry and Jimmy are 27 of the Cowboys 36 playoff wins. Those two HCs have 75% of all Cowboys playoff wins.
Let‘s get on a playoff roll and re-take the lead in playoff wins!
For some fans, NFL history is what they experienced. Maybe from the 90's to the present. Perhaps the oldest fans think from the 1960's to now.

However these playoff numbers are so much more salient in nature when the ORIGIN of each franchise is taken into account. Green Bay has been kickin' it since 1921. Pittsburgh's and San Francisco's franchises? 1945 and 1946 respectfully.

Both Dallas and New England are much younger franchises, with both getting their starts in 1960. And the Patriots were birthed into the old American Football League. Dallas has been going at it with pre-1960/AFL teams for a decade longer.

Both Dallas and New England can boast the loudest in terms of franchise longevity and number of playoff games. Both franchises have been around for far less than some while doing more during the postseason in retrospect.

Sydla

Reaction score

Amazing considering we’ve done crap for 25 years

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Goes to show you how successful Cowboy teams pre-95 were with holding still so many playoff records or being at the top on many of them. These teams the last three decades have been putrid and still the Cowboys are at the top on many records.

Rowdy1

Reaction score
Sounds to me like 67 needs to be a win then lol. I feel really good about our chances against GB. Young and hungry vs Battle Tested... lets see how this plays out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Brady was 31 -11 at Patriots. 42 total playoff games more than Landry. And that doesn’t count at Tampa.

Phenomenal - The GOAT has records which may never be broken.

For the Cowboys considering lack of success this era incredible we are still right up there while our winning percentage has dropped to worst in this group.

Good stuff sir!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

People like to talk about the Steelers like their first four decades didn't happen. The Cowboys were born in 1960, the Steelers in 1933.

Dallas won a Super Bowl before the Steelers won a playoff game - any playoff game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People like to talk about the Steelers like their first four decades didn't happen. The Cowboys were born in 1960, the Steelers in 1933.

Dallas won a Super Bowl before the Steelers won a playoff game - any playoff game.
Dallas won 32 playoff games between 1968-1996; 28 years. We won 4 playoff games from 1997 and 2022; 25 years.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dallas won 32 playoff games between 1968-1996; 28 years. We won 4 playoff games 1997 and 2022; 25 years.
Definitely got spoiled growing up. My first recollection of the Cowboys is SB V. That was in January of 1971. Over the next 15 years I never saw a losing season.

1986 started in similar fashion, 6-2 and then the bottom fell out in a way I never thought possible as they finished 7-9. We both know what's happened since then.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The first 36 years of Cowboys football: 32-21 in the playoffs.
The last 27 years of Cowboys football: 4-9 in the playoffs.
That blames Jerry...include his full picture and what he is the credit for...and I also brought up the point about Meredith and you made no comment directly to myself.

Don't say that instead all belongs to Jimmy. That isn't fully involved in ethics and being responsible as a fan.

What does the rest of the NFL look like in addition as to your targeted last 27 years? What were the teams instead more dominate and what periods were they dominate and how long. Give a fair look at it...

CCBoy

Reaction score
That blames Jerry...include his full picture and what he is the credit for...and I also brought up the point about Meredith and you made no comment directly to myself.

Don't say that instead all belongs to Jimmy. That isn't fully involved in ethics and being responsible as a fan.

What does the rest of the NFL look like in addition as to your targeted last 27 years? What were the teams instead more dominate and what periods were they dominate and how long. Give a fair look at it...
Why, the desparity isn't reflective of NFL changes or even factors affecting Dallas. Three strong seasons and team of Cowboys were eliminated by last second field goals, and a fumbled snap and a slick football...as well as a TD falsely removed from the scoreboard at the end of a game. More factors are involved, than just victories here. They are just as relevant as going out of one's way to place blame. 10 years has seen a lot of improvement in the Dallas franchise and achievements by Jerry Jones, your target, and the team. Four current seasons are dominant here and now, not disappointment and insult implying anemic accountable actions.

As well, how many Nick Sabans exist in the NFL?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Thank you @Bobhaze for the historical perspective. I feel good about our chances on Sunday. A win ties us with the Patriots for most playoff wins and gives us a chance to get the record back in the divisional round. That's great to know.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

Do those stats include the Super Bowl? I've always considered the Super Bowl the final playoff game, but I've seen other people say things like, "playoff games and then the Super Bowl" as if it's some kind of different, non-playoff game. It's the final game of elimination, so to me that's a playoff game. Therefore, I'm not sure if those stats above include the Super Bowl or not, but IMO they should.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thank you @Bobhaze for the historical perspective. I feel good about our chances on Sunday. A win ties us with the Patriots for most playoff wins and gives us a chance to get the record back in the divisional round. That's great to know.
Some of us weren't disappointed in wins when things started for the Cowboy, but are very proud in the whole path and where Dallas is at present. No, WE aren't crying about ranking at the very top of 1960 NFL historical success. Oh, we are proud of the complete truth.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do those stats include the Super Bowl? I've always considered the Super Bowl the final playoff game, but I've seen other people say things like, "playoff games and then the Super Bowl" as if it's some kind of different, non-playoff game. It's the final game of elimination, so to me that's a playoff game. Therefore, I'm not sure if those stats above include the Super Bowl or not, but IMO they should.
VI: Dallas Cowboys 24, Miami Dolphins 3 (1972)

XII: Dallas Cowboys 27, Denver Broncos 10 (1978)

XXVII: Dallas Cowboys 52, Buffalo Bills 17 (1993)

XXVIII: Dallas Cowboys 30, Buffalo Bills 13 (1994)

XXX: Dallas Cowboys 27, Pittsburgh Steelers 17 (1996)

(games played in Januaries)