Cowboys Post Draft Analysis - DL & LB

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Covington
They like the 4th game-day DT to be a 1-tech/3-tech tweener which appears to be the definition of Covington (i.e He has more 3-rech traits than Woods).

They play both DTs as 3-tech on many obvious passing situations with a goal for snaps similar to:
(200% total for 2 positions)
#1 3-tech 60%
#1 1-tech 60%
#2 3-tech 50%
4th DT 30%

7th LB
Every year most people predict keeping 6 LBs; however, they only did that once and that was when LB McClain was set to return after a 4 week suspension.

DT Ross
Ross was not very good last season. He finished college in 2013 and was cut by 2 CFL teams. He does not appear to have much upside and is doubtful to be a better NFL player than Covington or Hyder. Hyder is guaranteed 750K on a 1 year, 1.75M deal. Hyder is 1-year, 1M.

Gregory
Assuming he is not back for game 1, it's easier to find roster spots during the season than it is on cut day because some players have normally gone to IR or various other reasons.

It's possible that Crawford becomes the odd man out due to his 7M salary. He started 15 games last season (they rested some starters for game 16). His starts were split between DT and DE. If Collins and Hill are healthy for game 1, I don't see Crawford starting at 3-tech DT. Quinn projects as the starter at RDE. It would be expensive to pay Crawford as a non-starter 7M.

Collins is the backfill for 1tech. It doesn't have to go to the 4th dt. They don't need more 1tech backup after that, and they prefer 3techs besides. Assuming no injuries, 1tech is covered without Covington. His flexibility makes him nice insurance against injury to others, but you're hoping you don't need that insurance.

For what it's worth, PFF graded Ross above average, and Covington a little higher. Maliek graded out the worst, even lower than Hyder. Ross is going to get every chance to be the younger, cheaper 3tech backup next year with Crawford and Collins gone.

Good point about Gregory creating a bubble spot in the case of a suspension. People won't like hearing it, but a short suspension at the beginning of the season has the advantage of letting you keep the rights to more players through final cuts.

Possible on Crawford, if everyone else pans out. Hyder can be our cheaper tweener this year, more like a Jack Crawford. Ross gives you more to cut Crawford than Covington, from a position perspective.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unless I am reading this wrong, you seemingly have Armstrong in a gray area where he might not make the 53.

I think there is a really low chance he's not on the 53. Covington and Hyder are more of a risk to not make the 53 IMO.

The free agent guys we guarantee diddley to are lower on the totem pole than a mid round player like Armstrong who has years left on his rookie contract.

The *goal* is to have drafted well enough that we cut Covington and Hyder. They're roster insurance.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Barring injury to Woods, I don't see Covington making it. With the quality elsewhere, I don't see 2 1techs being carried. Collins will probably be pegged to back up depth at 1tech in case Woods goes down.

I see us going light at LB. LVE and Smith don't come off the field. None of the #7s look like anyone to sweat losing. We'll have some guys on the PS in case of emergency.

Hyder is another guy we can dump without crying about it.

Covington and Hyder are insurance policies against injury to guys signed long term. If other guys are looking good, both could easily get dumped.

I wouldn't count out Daniel Ross at DT. We have him for this year and next. They'd rather keep Ross and Armstrong over Hyder and Covington. If Jackson shines, they make room for a 10th.

16. 10 dline. They'll have to think hard if/when Gregory comes back. They're probably thinking about trades at that point.

I disagree on Covington. He'll be for real...just watch during camp.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Covington
They like the 4th game-day DT to be a 1-tech/3-tech tweener which appears to be the definition of Covington (i.e He has more 3-rech traits than Woods).

They play both DTs as 3-tech on many obvious passing situations with a goal for snaps similar to:
(200% total for 2 positions)
#1 3-tech 60%
#1 1-tech 60%
#2 3-tech 50%
4th DT 30%

7th LB
Every year most people predict keeping 6 LBs; however, they only did that once and that was when LB McClain was set to return after a 4 week suspension.

DT Ross
Ross was not very good last season. He finished college in 2013 and was cut by 2 CFL teams. He does not appear to have much upside and is doubtful to be a better NFL player than Covington or Hyder. Hyder is guaranteed 750K on a 1 year, 1.75M deal. Hyder is 1-year, 1M.

Gregory
Assuming he is not back for game 1, it's easier to find roster spots during the season than it is on cut day because some players have normally gone to IR or various other reasons.

It's possible that Crawford becomes the odd man out due to his 7M salary. He started 15 games last season (they rested some starters for game 16). His starts were split between DT and DE. If Collins and Hill are healthy for game 1, I don't see Crawford starting at 3-tech DT. Quinn projects as the starter at RDE. It would be expensive to pay Crawford as a non-starter 7M.

Shhhhhhhh...but injury can have a big part in retention of this particular defensive lineman. (Crawford)

Mr_437

Reaction score
I see 16 as the total...with 10 DL n 6 LBs.

Gameday 8 man rotation

DEs: Lawrence, Quinn, Crawford, Charlton
DTs: Woods, Collins, Covington, Hill

2 DL-53 roster reserves

DE: Armstrong, Jackson

Gregory coming back makes for a difficult decision, but maybe a player is traded after TC to make room.

Practice Squad

DE: Jalen Jelks
DT: Daniel Wise

LBs are already kinda set, but should be an interesting battle for the last 2 spots.

5 man gameday rotation

MLB: Smith, March-Lillard
WLB: Vander Esch, Smith
SLB: Lee

1 LB - 53 roster reserve

SLB: Covington

In the event Sean Lee gets injured Covington steps into that SLB. Thomas n JML are better fits as backup nickel LBs, so they get carried on the 45.

Practice Squad

LB: Queiro
LB: Phillips

Verdict

Reaction score
It's doubtful that he gets cut.

Worst case some team would trade a late round pick for him.

He has the physical ability (similar athletic ability to DLaw but without the developed skill or "motor").

Getting benched last was either a wake-up call or his attitude gets worse because of it. They should know early in training camp which one.

He does project as a good fit in a rotation with Quinn at RDE. Taco started 7 games at RDE in 2018 but Gregory played more of the pass rushing snaps.

In spite of being vocally opposed to the Taco pick i haven’t given up on him. I would like to see him turn the corner, and really that’s true of any and every player because it helps the Cowboys.

I just don’t think anything could surprise me about him. He could be the next big thing, or cut next week and I’m not sure I would be surprised at either end.

Verdict

Reaction score

Gameday 8 man rotation

2 DL-53 roster reserves

Gregory coming back makes for a difficult decision, but maybe a player is traded after TC to make room.

Practice Squad

LBs are already kinda set, but should be an interesting battle for the last 2 spots.

5 man gameday rotation

1 LB - 53 roster reserve

In the event Sean Lee gets injured Covington steps into that SLB. Thomas n JML are better fits as backup nickel LBs, so they get carried on the 45.

Practice Squad

Gregory is a real conundrum for this team. He is worthy of a roster spot. On the other hand if he comes back from suspension, he will bump someone off of the 53.

So do you fully stock the DE position and end up either cutting a quality DE or go light somewhere else when he comes back?

Then once you cut a guy and he goes back on suspension again, if you cut a DE you are now two guys short at DE. It’s a hard problem to plan for. Then couple that with injuries, etc, you could really get caught with your pants down if you keep Gregory on the roster.

Now factor in a knucklehead like a David Irving and three more guys just like him, if they all go bad at the same time you can almost write off the season.

I think that’s why you don’t see a ton of those guys on the Patriots roster.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Not sure if March-Lillard is secure enough to be No. 5, or for that matter, Chris Covington, among the linebackers. Seems like there's the top four, then two spots up for grab. March-Lillard and Covington have a leg up on the others, but I'm not sure there's a huge gap there. Probably less than there is between Armstrong and the other linemen you have at No. 10.
Not sure Jaylon And LVE are locks for the 53.

Heehee

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Barring injury to Woods, I don't see Covington making it. With the quality elsewhere, I don't see 2 1techs being carried. Collins will probably be pegged to back up depth at 1tech in case Woods goes down.

I see us going light at LB. LVE and Smith don't come off the field. None of the #7s look like anyone to sweat losing. We'll have some guys on the PS in case of emergency.

Hyder is another guy we can dump without crying about it.

Covington and Hyder are insurance policies against injury to guys signed long term. If other guys are looking good, both could easily get dumped.

I wouldn't count out Daniel Ross at DT. We have him for this year and next. They'd rather keep Ross and Armstrong over Hyder and Covington. If Jackson shines, they make room for a 10th.

16. 10 dline. They'll have to think hard if/when Gregory comes back. They're probably thinking about trades at that point.

Covington is not an insurance policy. He's a 1 tech in this scheme which makes him an ideal rotation player with Woods. He's an upgrade over Reid for sure.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Covington is not an insurance policy. He's a 1 tech in this scheme which makes him an ideal rotation player with Woods. He's an upgrade over Reid for sure.
McCoy would be an upgrade. Hyder and Covington are just condiments to cover up the smell and taste of tuna until I see otherwise.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Gregory is a real conundrum for this team. He is worthy of a roster spot. On the other hand if he comes back from suspension, he will bump someone off of the 53.

So do you fully stock the DE position and end up either cutting a quality DE or go light somewhere else when he comes back?

Then once you cut a guy and he goes back on suspension again, if you cut a DE you are now two guys short at DE. It’s a hard problem to plan for. Then couple that with injuries, etc, you could really get caught with your pants down if you keep Gregory on the roster.

Now factor in a knucklehead like a David Irving and three more guys just like him, if they all go bad at the same time you can almost write off the season.

I think that’s why you don’t see a ton of those guys on the Patriots roster.
I agree with you, RG's suspension does cause a conundrum, but there's an opportunity also.

DAL will be w/o or give limited reps to: Lawrence (surgery), Quinn (veteran days), Charlton (surgery), Gregory (suspended) and Crawford (veteran days/3Tech days).

The status of the veterans will give Armstrong, Jackson, Hyder and Jelks plenty of reps vs 1st team and 2nd team OTs in OTAs n camp to show their skill.

Out of these 4, Rod can find the best 2 to keep. I can see Stephen swinging a trade on cut down day...moving Charlton, Armstrong, Hyder or Crawford. I like the chance Rod n Leon have to really get a good gage on who can help or develop. Lots of options and flexibility.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Cowboys switched to 4-3 in 2013.

They normally keep 16 or 15 (DL + LB).

Year …….. DL …. LB …….. Total
2013 …….. 9 …….. 7 …….. 16 …….. Wilber as LB
2014 ……..11 ……..7 …….. 18 …….. 10 DL after week 2
2015 ……..10 ……..6 …….. 16 …….. 1 LB Suspended
2016 …….. 8 …….. 7 …….. 15 …….. 2 DL Suspended
2017 …….. 8 …….. 7 …….. 15 …….. 3 DL Suspended
2018 …….. 9 …….. 7 …….. 16

Super early predictions in bold: ultimately I went with 10DL and 6LBers. Obviously injuries could easily destroy my predictions, but I love the overall depth of this group.. and we didn’t include the possibility of Randy Gregory being available. Most of my comments are obvious, but there seems to always be a few surprises each year.

Caveat: I’m sure I’ll change my opinion after we get to see these guys on the field, so please don’t chastise me too much.. hence, super early predictions.

1. DE Demarcus Lawrence (Lock)
2. DE Robert Quinn (Lock)
3. DE Taco Charlton (Unfortunately, I believe he’s a lock unless of course a team gets crazy and wants to trade a mid Rd pick for him. Trust me, I’m not a fan of Taco, but my gut tells me he will either shine this year or be on the DL all year.. either way he’s here)
4. DL Kerry Hyder (Far from a lock and if one of these young guys prove worthy in camp, he’ll be gone)
5. DL Tyrone Crawford (I’d love one of the young guys to push his contract off the books, but Tyrone is just good enough & versatile to last another year)
6. DT Trysten Hill (Lock and hopefully he’s a beast)
7. DT Maliek Collins (I’m not convinced his feet will hold up. I wish he could be the guy he was his rookie year, but injuries have ruined him. I personally believe he’ll end up on PUP)
8. DT Antwaun Woods (Proved he could play last year, but I believe he plays at his ceiling..if a young guy plays at his level and has more potential, he may be a surprise cut.. See Daniel Wise)
9. DT Christian Covington (this years Antwaun Woods. Intriguing player, but definitely not a lock. They did go after him for a reason though..he’ll have to prove it to stick)

10. DE Dorance Armstrong (showed flashes when given a chance, an offseason in the weight room proves beneficial and will surprise folks)
10. DE Joe Jackson (Could potentially be our new Tyron Crawford, but has to prove it. If cut, he will move on and land on another team with less talent. Kid is under rated and would be a great rotational player..just not sure if he’ll make this squad year 1)
10. DE Jalen Jelks (Practice Squad- has potential as a situational passer, I.e. Randy Gregory, but needs a year to get stronger)
10. DT Daniel Wise (Surprise addition, I believe he shows enough to make the team as a 3T. One of the veterans goes to DL and makes the decision easy)
10. DT Daniel Ross (Seen enough, cut)
10. DT Shakir Soto (Cut)

Linebackers seem easy to predict:
Current Roster Linebackers:
1. LB Leighton Vander Esch (lock)
2. LB Jaylon Smith (lock)
3. LB Sean Lee (lock)
4. LB Joe Thomas (lock, insurance)
5. LB Justin March-Lillard (I cant say he’s a lock, definitely expendable if a younger guy with more upside can play ST)
6. LB Chris Covington (ST and they like him. Not a lock per se, but I’d say it’ll be hard to knock him off.. exp at his price tag)

7. LB Kyle Queiro (could challenge Covington, but I think another year of Practice Squad is his future)
7. LB Nate Hall (cut)
7. LB Justin Phillips (cut, maybe practice squad)
7. LB Andrew Dowell (cut)
7. LB Luke Gifford (under rated player with tons of potential and will sneak on the 53. Maybe he takes March-Lillards spot or they go long at the position for ST purposes)

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Would anyone be super surprised if Taco gets cut, trades or actually plays and makes an impact. Who knows what he really is.
I would. He's cheap and still young. What's the point of letting him go for guys you can sneak on practice squad?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The way I see it:

DE - looks pretty stocked. D Law is a stud. Robert Quinn was a steal, and as a one-year patch, I don't think he'll be any worse than Gregory. Taco and Armstrong are about average #3 and #4 DE type depth, and both still have the potential to develop into more.

DT - lots of depth, but no standouts. We are 5 deep with players who I don't think would kill us if they were on the field, but all of them are average at best.

LB - LVE and Jaylon are scary good and probably the best pair of LBs in the NFL. Lee is a square peg at Sam and is getting slow, but he can still outplay our backups with his eyes closed. Thomas, Covington, and JML give us great depth. A+ group.

Front seven is looking pretty strong overall, just need to find a war daddy at DT.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Gameday 8 man rotation

2 DL-53 roster reserves

Practice Squad

5 man gameday rotation

1 LB - 53 roster reserve

Practice Squad

I mostly agree except that I think Thomas would step in at SLB if Lee got hurt. He was the main sub last year if anyone needed a break after Lee got hurt.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We don't want 2 1 techs. We barely want one.

I don't believe Covington is strictly a 1-tech. He was an end who played the run well but also could get after the passer in Houston, which correlates more to the 3-tech spot. He has enough size and run-stopping ability to contribute at 1-tech, but I think he's mostly seen as a run-down 3-tech and was acquired for that spot because of how poorly we played the run against the Rams.

I think our 3-tech play was not as good as we wanted it to be last year (mostly because we were somewhat counting on Irving), so we got Hyder (pass rusher) and Covington (run stopper) to try to fix the problem, then we got Hill hoping that he could be the best of both worlds.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I mostly agree except that I think Thomas would step in at SLB if Lee got hurt. He was the main sub last year if anyone needed a break after Lee got hurt.
Thomas probably would go in...just question whether he can play off blocks, Lee too for that matter. Yet to be seen for Covington, but at 245 he better she'd some TEs.

I don't believe Covington is strictly a 1-tech. He was an end who played the run well but also could get after the passer in Houston, which correlates more to the 3-tech spot. He has enough size and run-stopping ability to contribute at 1-tech, but I think he's mostly seen as a run-down 3-tech and was acquired for that spot because of how poorly we played the run against the Rams.

I think our 3-tech play was not as good as we wanted it to be last year (mostly because we were somewhat counting on Irving), so we got Hyder (pass rusher) and Covington (run stopper) to try to fix the problem, then we got Hill hoping that he could be the best of both worlds.
Covington sure looks more like a 3Tech watching him rush the passer for HOU, but Marinelli does like his 1Tech to move like a 3Tech if possible. Covington looks to have Terrell McClain flexibility which is great for a rotation. I think he's gonna surprise some ppl.