Cowboys PPG

CCBoy

Reaction score
...because the QB he had to work with went 46 of 80 (57.5% comp %) for 460 yards with 2 td's and 3 int's....so was it really Moore's game planning or Dak's poor play that cost another Dallas coach his job?
Responsibility always goes up...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Of course it matters, but as an overall average it doesn't tell the whole story. For example, all 25 ppg is not created equal. Context matters. You can consistently score that, which would be ideal. Or just beat up on lesser opponents, and score very little against greater opponents, and get the same average. The two are totally different yet yield the same results.
Nothing tells the whole story, bro. Where have you been?

Plankton

Reaction score
It will probably be less on the basis that they want to run the football more frequently. If they can average between 28-31 points, and limit other teams to 18-20, they will be in position to have a very good season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Easy to score when your defense can get the ball back so much. ;)

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Again and again people bring up PPG, and think it's just an offensive stat. It's not.
The Cowboys defense led the league in turnovers the last couple of years (including a decent amount of TDs of their own). That is a HUGE factor in it.
And before anyone wants to look talk about Rush and them not scoring points. The defense was a little slow in racking up their turnovers to start the season. Rush didn't benefit from much in that regard.
:thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
they fired him because the offense scored 17 points at home to SF, then scored 12 points on the road to SF the following year.

No one cares if you score 40+ points against bad defenses like the colts, bears, and Vikings. They do care when you can’t even score 20 points when the defenses are actually good and the season is on the line
Bingo!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
DamnKellen Moore sucked as an OC...I mean, he couldn't lead Dallas to 40+ points/game....no wonder they fired him. :thumbdown: :huh:
Damn that Dak Prescott sucks as a QB. I mean, he coudn't lead Dallas to 40 + points/game.......no wonder the trolls want him cut.

I know you were being wildly sarcastic. Sounds equally as dumb when you slip Dak's name in there. :thumbup:

plasticman

Reaction score

How many this season? I think probably in the negative considering the trajectory

With 2.4 points per game in 2021 and 1.2 points per game in 2022 donated by your friendly Cowboys defense and special teams.

But wait, there's more.

I think we can look forward to the same productivity this season by the defense. When you have this type of defense, it would be wrong not to give them their props. Not to mention, how many times did this defense put the Cowboys offense in excellent position to score?

Anytime that you see a team's points per game ranking much higher than their average yards per game ranking, that's a sign of great help from your defense.

The Cowboys offense, last season was ranked #11 in yardage gained, a few steps higher than average. However, their points per game was ranked #4. That is superior field position. You get that from your special teams and/or your defense.

In 2022 there were 12 scoring drives (8TD's, 4FG's) that started on the opponent's side of the field as a result of an INT or fumble recovery. Only the 49ers and Jaguars had more.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
This season will see if its the OC or the qb. (Second time actually)

Since both people seem to see them as mutually exclusive.

CCBoy

Reaction score

DVOA Overview​

TEAMOffensive DVOADefensive DVOASpecial Teams DVOATOTAL DVOA- Overall Rank
DALLAS9.3% (3)-6.8 (3)0.2% (12)16.3% – No. 1
GIANTS-1.5% (19)3.9% (27)-1.1% (31)-6.4% – No. 23
Season-Preview DVOA: Dallas dominates (4-0)

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-giants-advanced-stats-notebook-2023-week-1/

Offensive EPA (2022)​

TEAMDropback EPA/PlayRushing EPA/PlayTotal EPA/PlaySuccess Rate
DALLAS0.082 (9)-0.031 (12)0.031 (10)45.2% – No. 13
GIANTS0.058 (12)-0.002 (7)0.034 (9)45.1% – No. 15
EPA Offensive Advantage: Push (2 to 2)

Defensive EPA (2022)​

TEAMDropback EPA/PlayRushing EPA/PlayTotal EPA/PlaySuccess Rate
DALLAS-0.059 (4)-0.126 (4)-0.087 (2)41.4% – No. 4
GIANTS0.048 (20)0.043(31)0.046 (28)44.0% – No. 16
EPA Defensive Advantage: Dallas dominates (4-0)

Toxicity on Offense (2022)​

TEAMExplosive PassesExplosive RunsGiveawaysDifferential
DALLAS506222+90
GIANTS287416+90
Offensive Toxicity: Push

Toxicity on Defense (2022)​

TEAMExplosive Plays AllowedExplosive Runs AllowedTakeawaysDfferential
DALLAS436734-66
GIANTS487918-109
Defensive Toxicity: Cowboys

Overall Toxicity: Cowboys +34, Giants -19

Cowboys’ Net Advantage in 2022: 53 more big plays (3.1 per game)

As far as it’s importance, ANY/A comes in third when it comes to correlation to victory with an R² coefficient of 0.69. That’s only behind scoring differential and passer rating differential.

TEAMANY/A ForANY/A AgainstDifferential
DALLAS6.0 (20)5.2 (9)+0.8
GIANTS5.7 (22)6.2 (10)-0.5
ANY/A Differential (2022): Dallas dominates

Buzzbait

Reaction score
...because the QB he had to work with went 46 of 80 (57.5% comp %) for 460 yards with 2 td's and 3 int's....so was it really Moore's game planning or Dak's poor play....... that cost another Dallas coach his job?
.......or BOTH? I'd venture both.
I'll take MM at the helm any day over Moore.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
PPG don't mean crap. You can beat a crap team 45-0 and lose to a good team 17-10. Your PPG is 31 points per game. You're 1-1. If you actually scored 31 per game you'd be 2-0. That stat is garbage.

I forget what year it was, either 2019 or 2018 where the Cowboys averaged 29PPG. They ended up 8-8. Had they actually scored 29 PPG they'd be 12-4. This has to be one of the more misleading stats available.
I don’t think you understand statistical distributions.

But to your point, it would be nice if standard deviation was also reported.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think you understand statistical distributions.

But to your point, it would be nice if standard deviation was also reported.
Maybe I don't understand it. What I do understand is that PPG is not a useful statistic. Mainly because you can have vastly different outcomes with the exact same PPG statistic.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PPG don't mean crap. You can beat a crap team 45-0 and lose to a good team 17-10. Your PPG is 31 points per game. You're 1-1. If you actually scored 31 per game you'd be 2-0. That stat is garbage.

I forget what year it was, either 2019 or 2018 where the Cowboys averaged 29PPG. They ended up 8-8. Had they actually scored 29 PPG they'd be 12-4. This has to be one of the more misleading stats available.
Point differential (yes, you have to look at how many points you give up too) is one of the best simple predictors of season record.

You're supposed to score tons of points against bad teams and not as many against good teams. That's how things work.

Yes, you can find weird and fluky years where W-L record and point differential diverge. It was 2019 you were thinking of: the Cowboys outscored their opponents by over 100 points but went 8-8 because they went 1-6 in one-score games. But seasons like that are few and far between.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, you can find weird and fluky years where W-L record and point differential diverge. It was 2019 you were thinking of: the Cowboys outscored their opponents by over 100 points but went 8-8 because they went 1-6 in one-score games. But seasons like that are few and far between.
Well yeah, this was glaring to me. The Cowboys would have been 12-4 had hey actually scored their average PPG. This is why I don't take that statistic seriously.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand it. What I do understand is that PPG is not a useful statistic. Mainly because you can have vastly different outcomes with the exact same PPG statistic.
JD shows the anomaly with the 1 score games, and I think the other thing to watch is offense/defense balance. St.Louis Rams Greatest Show on Turf is probably a good example of that one. High scoring offense that after the first season couldn’t overcome the defensive liabilities. Otherwise, I think PPG, but especially point differential, is a highly consistent predictor of success. BobHaze posted a few stat threads on it last year. Another reason why I feel good about this year. Don’t feel like we ever had that consistent balance with our defense/offense until McCarthy.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Nothing tells the whole story, bro. Where have you been?
Right

if he wants to use that logic about the offense it's the same with the defense have all them games it we had to score more than 25-40 because they gave up a lot of points but then they shut down bad teams, it's the same thing on both sides of the ball,.

so you can't give credit to the defense for being so good at holding teams down if you look at just their 17 game average that's what he's saying about the offense that it really isn't truly 32 points per game but that is how the whole league is judged so why are you just changing the standard for the Cowboys because you want to somehow downplay your own team success?

shabazz

Reaction score

Scoring 1 TD and 12 total points in a playoff game is FAR more indicative of an offenses ability and production than that PPG drivel.