Cowboys red zone issues

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lack of playcalling is a big reason too

True, but when your line can dominate and you get the push, Zeke and Dak were running it in no problem in 2016. Then everything works off that. If you cant run the ball in from short down there, that is where all the problems start.

Haimerej

Reaction score
True, but when your line can dominate and you get the push, Zeke and Dak were running it in no problem in 2016. Then everything works off that. If you cant run the ball in from short down there, that is where all the problems start.

Get the push? This isn't Larry Allen. They weren't exactly knocking guys back in 2016. The o line isn't a group of road graders. Their main strength is their athleticism.

The red zone issues are with the passing game, just like most teams who struggle in the red zone these days. Windows are smaller, everything is tighter, and touch passes are necessary.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not sure how much was play calling and how much was poor execution. You're right Hawke we have to clean that up.I remember it as an issue in 2011, 2012 and 2013 too then we fixed it with a bull dozing O-line and a stud RB named Demarco. I know Looney did a solid job as a replacement but he isn't Frederick and he's the QB of the O-line.

One thing is certain, we're gonna find out how much was play calling
+1

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Time after time last season, Linehan got too cute in the red zone. We'd march down the field with the same old predictable run and pass plays, then inside the 10 all the WR reverses and pop passes and Rico fades would show up.

The trick is balance. Zeke runs and Dak RPOs are the obvious threats in the red zone, so defenses will always pay attention to them and give you favorable matchups elsewhere. But at the same time, there is a line where a pass play to Olawale is a bigger win for the defense than a stretch run to Zeke. You have to mix things up, but you can't just throw away your strongest plays either.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think you can blame the oline when Zeke was the leading rusher.

I think it was lack of a productive TE and the coaches. I don't think they even attempted to use Rico's size and strength except for maybe one play where dak sailed the ball.
Yup, and Rico didn't attempt to use it either!!!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm guessing the five targets are;
1.Dez
2.Witten
3.TWill
4.Beasley
5.?????

So much talk about defense during this offseason but IMO this is our biggest challenge. Notice if I'm correct, at least 3 of the five are no longer on the team. However, even if we maintain the same 2018 defensive stats but elevate our 2019 red zone scoring (TDs, not FGs) to top 15, we're Super Bowl contenders. Other words, if we don't fix this issue, the rest won't matter.

Silly, nabobs of naïveté.
The red zone should go heavy on TE play action.
Teams forever played us Dez, Zeke then the TE.
Thus the sorry ash red zone numbers.
Witten was the problem. Jarvis gave us hope.

DanA

Reaction score
Between 2014-2017 we were probably on average a top 5 team in terms of RedZone efficiency. But I think the 2018 drop off was an accumulation of a lot of little things.

1. Dez was a threat on the back shoulder fade, Gallup is developing into a bit of a threat but it's not "peak Dez" level
2. Witten was really good at finding space where there was little and shielding the drop zone. Jarwin came on in the back half of the season but doesn't have the nous Witten has.
3. Frederick sets the O-line, picking up blitzes, and making sure players know there blocking assignments. Looney was serviceable, but IMO it wasn't the same.
4. Martin was carrying an injury last season, he wasn't as dominant in RedZone situations as he has been in past season
5. Connor Williams lack of strength was evident, he wasn't effective in disrupting the defensive line.
6. Linehan made some really bad decisions. Cute plays that targeted Noah Brown, Olawale and Gathers. Too often looked to pass the ball on obvious run downs, and went away from the Dak/Zeke option reads in the early/mid season for no apparent reason.
7. Too predictable, we telegraphed what we were going to do far too often and allowed defenses to key into what we were doing based on personnel and alignments.
8. We didn't have the passing game targets until Cooper arrived and Jarwin/Gallup started to settled and get used to NFL level football.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm guessing the five targets are;
1.Dez
2.Witten
3.TWill
4.Beasley
5.?????

So much talk about defense during this offseason but IMO this is our biggest challenge. Notice if I'm correct, at least 3 of the five are no longer on the team. However, even if we maintain the same 2018 defensive stats but elevate our 2019 red zone scoring (TDs, not FGs) to top 15, we're Super Bowl contenders. Other words, if we don't fix this issue, the rest won't matter.

Hmmm Red-Zone issues .....your culprit is right here below being sacked by our RT......

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Play calling. There's no reason why we shouldn't be punching it in in the end zone more, with Zeke and a dual threat quarterback.

Particularly the dual threat QB. That's an extra player in your short yardage run game. It's a huge advantage if you have the will to use it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The reason for the redzone woes are 100% obvious. Its the state of the Oline. As soon as that's up to top notch, the redzone offense will be back in play.

It's not just the OL, but blocking from the TEs, the new guys just aren't as accomplished blockers as Hanna and Witten. There were at least a couple TDs, I can think of where the TEs missed a block/assignment that Witten or Hanna would have easily made. Not to say they won't get better, but their inexperience did show at times.

Not having the physical type receiver hurts, don't really have the strong guy that won't get bumped off a route and hold his ground to out muscle a DB. Not having Witten hurt, he may be slow and not very quick, but he is savvy and knows how to find those soft spots, especially during those scramble drills.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The woes of the Redzone offense were mostly attributed to losing Dez and Witten as targets and decoys. The publication we aren’t able to share here has a couple good articles on subject if you have access.

Some effects was put on OL and Dak as a result of not being able to overcome the loss of them in Redzone. And play calling was limited as a result of these factors.

There was a pretty good thread on this during the season.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/red-zone-offense-whats-different.423929/

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Dallas distribution of RED ZONE targets
2018 (games 8-18)
Elliott 23%
tight ends 18%
Cooper 16%
Gallup 16%
Beasley 9%

2016-17
Bryant 29%
Witten 28%
Beasley 14%
Williams 8%
Elliott 5%

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas distribution of RED ZONE targets
2018 (games 8-18)
Elliott 23%
tight ends 18%
Cooper 16%
Gallup 16%
Beasley 9%

2016-17
Bryant 29%
Witten 28%
Beasley 14%
Williams 8%
Elliott 5%
That tells much of the story. Losing almost 60% of the production with 2 players.

Hopefully Wittens return will help.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's not just the OL, but blocking from the TEs, the new guys just aren't as accomplished blockers as Hanna and Witten. There were at least a couple TDs, I can think of where the TEs missed a block/assignment that Witten or Hanna would have easily made. Not to say they won't get better, but their inexperience did show at times.

Not having the physical type receiver hurts, don't really have the strong guy that won't get bumped off a route and hold his ground to out muscle a DB. Not having Witten hurt, he may be slow and not very quick, but he is savvy and knows how to find those soft spots, especially during those scramble drills.

Yep, you nailed. TE blocking was even worse. About as bad as it gets. Its one of the reasons Im fine with Witten coming back. He will help in that area.

Hadenough

Reaction score
That tells much of the story. Losing almost 60% of the production with 2 players.

Hopefully Wittens return will help.
The thing about Witten coming back that concerns me is he was too much of a 3 yd check down on 3rd and 7. When he left I was glad because I considered him a progress stopper. Don't get me wrong I like Witten but felt it was time to retire. Witten was also getting more and more holding called on him when blocking.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The thing about Witten coming back that concerns me is he was too much of a 3 yd check down on 3rd and 7. When he left I was glad because I considered him a progress stopper. Don't get me wrong I like Witten but felt it was time to retire. Witten was also getting more and more holding called on him when blocking.
I was referring to his Redzone production and effects.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke has had a hard time punching it from the goal line for whatever reason. I actually don't blame him personally. I blame Linehan's scheme.
By the time we get to the red zone. He's carried the ball at least 6 of the 10 plays. And we've had no one to relieve him. I'm looking for more balance on offense