Cowboys Run Defense 2018 & 2019

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2018, the Cowboys were:
- 5th in total rushing yards allowed.
- 4th in Yards/Carry allowed.

The run defense problem against the Rams was a scheme issue.
- The Rams tailored the blocking scheme to specifics of Cowboys defense.
- The pre-snap "tells" were just a small part of it, IMO.
- The issues were not the type of thing in-game adjustments can resolve.
- The Cowboys came into that game over-focused on defending the pass.

The Pats saw Rams vs Cowboys and changed their defensive alignment against Rams.
- The Pats change was primarily 2 players.
- One of the two LBs in the Nickel moved to the opposite side and up on the line wide of the DE.
- The Nickel DB flipped sides moving to the side vacated by the LB.
- This completely mucked up the Rams run blocking where their top goal was to wall-off LBs horizontally.
- There were some technique changes and minor alignment changes on the DL also.

Crawford
- Played about half of his snaps at DT and half at DE for the 2018 season.
- He weighed 275 when drafted. Listed at 290 but probably doesn't keep that during the season.

Hill
- The expected replacement for Crawford at DT.
- Hill weighed 308 when drafted and was bigger at some points in college.

1-tech
- Woods was solid at 1-tech for the season but had no true backup.
- Covington projects to have legit 1-tech ability as the likely 4th DT.

LB
- The Rams confused the young LBs (LVE and Jaylon).
- Cowboys played Lee more but he was rusty from missing significant time.
- The Cowboys might use more base (3 LBs) when Lee is healthy.
- In 2nd half of Super Bowl, Pats played primarily base against Rams.

Safety
It wasn't a big issue in the Rams game, but Cowboys have more options at SS now.
- Iloka is big at 6-4, 225.
- Rookie D.Wilson considered a "head hunter" in college.
- D.Thompson has a year of NFL starting experience.
- Big 6-2, 212. Limited by injury in 2018.
2019 Key to Run Defense vs Teams like Rams
- Might be Pass Defense
- Alignments/Coverage against Rams showed they didn't trust their pass defense.
- Played alignments weaker against run but stronger against pass to start Rams game.
Kris Richard
- 2nd year in KR back 7 scheme.
- He didn't fully implement his Seattle scheme in 2018.

Biggest Concern for 2019
- Kris Richard and Marinelli on the same page.
- KR called plays but DLine scheme was all Marinelli.

GenoT

Reaction score
We’ve seen the 2018 defensive rushing stats; they’re in the history books.

Any projections for 2019, based on what happened in 2018, are purely conjecture at this point.

quickccc

Reaction score
this is where I really believe some stats can be misleading, in that we tend to play great vs the run at Home, but too many times there were too many puzzling breakdowns when we visit teams
On the Road. and those are the times where the eye ball needs to come in.

Also I dunno if scheme was responsible ALONE vs the Rams, but I do tend to believe the lapses of the run defense is also more personnel.
Odd that some like to bring up only the Rams game alone with the poor run defense performance, but there were already instances of struggles vs run On the Road.

At Carolina – lapse issues stopping Cam newton and his RPO runs,

At Seattle – unheralded RB carson runs 100 yards

At Washington – A. Peterson runs for over 100 yards

At Indy – in a shutout loss , RB carlos mack runs for over 100 yards

At NYG, barkley runs for over 100 yards

- All these regular road games - and eventually the crushing 200 yards on the road in a playoff game vs Rams. the dam leak, leaks and eventuall busts-breaks wide open to it's worst vs Rams

So Why was this team able to manage to more than hold it’s own vs run at HOME, but several times when On the Road, ?
Is it Personnel or Scheme issues ?

And when it comes to disruption and penetration and stonewall vs run, I’m a firm believer that it starts up front with the DL.
so I tend to hear we need big at DT. But we already have two 300+ pounders inside at DT in Maliek Collins (at 315 lbs) and Antwuann Woods (310lbs) as listed.

While It should be nice to have imposing size, but it’s also far more very important to have bulky size performers who actually play up to their size.
Lets see that 300+ pounder translate that imposing size and power to the playing field.
.. They can’t be just BE Big …they have to PLAY Big - and that goes for both the smaller 296 lb guy (who has to play bigger than what his size suggest) as well as the 325 pound guy as well.
This is where sometimes bigger doesn’t always mean better.

For instance DT Tim Jurigan is listed around 296 lbs, ..and before he suffered the back issues, he was one of the NFL’s most stout run defenders. Remains to be seen if he will ever regain his form.
The Ravens have had a penchant for getting these 330 pound run stuffers through the years and some have even ended up being in the pro bowl as a result.

- Frankly, I really want to replace our current starting DTs as they are way too up and down and woefully inconsistent vs the run when on the road.

Plus Maliek Collins is ALWAYS get hurt, year in year out, always some issue with his wheels (foot, leg) . that’s just one of the reasons why I thought he’d be a better fit as a rotational than full time.
Maybe less reps and more spot play may help less pounding and wear-toll.

Ant- Woods for a guy that was so unheralded early on did make some plays a the 1 tech, especially in big games at home vs Saints, vs Seattle playoff game, but yet he still seems too up and down and it showed at times on the road. Crawford is nickel suited, here’s Covington becomes a pleasant surprise, as also hoping comes on so impressively well that he is starting by season’s end.

But if we had to go right back vs Rams in the playoffs On the Road … if we had to play in the playoffs vs ANY NFC team on the road, I will not feel comfortable at all with starting those two.

pitt33

Reaction score
Nice work...

We'll see if this team is ready to take the next step. They were relatively injury free last year. Especially on defense. What remains to be seen is if this coaching staff can adapt within a game and take it over when it really counts.

quickccc

Reaction score
My concern, if it does end up being about " Scheme" : that’s clearly on the DL coach which is Marinell.
That’s his baby, that unit starts it upfront, and it starts and ends with him.

Also with ole school dinosaurs like Marinelli, they are pretty much set in their ways and preferences and they don’t know anything else. Any other way of how to defend.

And they have a set preferences with DL personnel.
If it’s truly a scheme issue, is the resolution may be to change DL coaches to a more idea up to trend DL coach , a more effective scheme and more idea personnel preferences ?

Frankly If it’s a scheme issue, should we consider replacing Marinelli as DL coach ?

Also I would not have as much issues with his preference for "quick twitch" DTs and preferring more movement traits than the huge mammoth DT,..
if we also at the same time had an established stout run stuffer whose abilities change the way teams have to run against. If we had a top notch run defender who changes
the dynamics of how teams have to block and scheme against him.
One who consistently occupies two blockers for them to have a better chance and running the ball against us.

We keep going through and having these revolving door 1 tech DTs ( Paea, Hayden, McClain, Thorton, Woods, etc. etc.) because it seems like we don’t have much high regards for them,
we seem to take the motion hat they grow on trees and we can always just peel them off and go with that one.

the one time when we sign then free agent ex Eagles Cedric Thorton to a big contract, in hopes that he would be a difference maker in the trenches, after that it’s been street FAs
and 7th round draft picks.
and I know the McClay group can come up with a more highly regarded 1 tech in the mid rounds if it's in the preference of the coaches he meets with. But If Marinell thinks he can get away
with just decent-serviceable, that's going to always be our ammunition. and never will be difference makers, imo.

Hey if you can find a lottery pick gem find a Damon Harrison (who was actually undrafted) good luck but compare the odds of that happening .