Cowboys Run Defense vs Rams: Solution

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
they have a top 2-3 defensive coach of all-time.
it's really an unfair bar.
they play great defense with very mediocre players when it matters most

Their offense functions the same way. They have a great system that finds a way to be productive regardless who is in the game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One correction: Goff really can't audible. Part of how the Patriots shut him down was they changed their defensive look after the headset radio to McVay cut out at 00:15 on the play clock and dared him to change the play at the line - and he couldn't do it. Goff is McVay's sock puppet out there, he can't make independent decisions.

Yep, and they got that idea from the Bears doing it originally. That's essentially why the Rams offense sputtered late in the season, most teams figured out that McVay was coaching Goff on the field until the headset cut off.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Go back to what the Rams OL said: “They’re a defensive line that really likes to move a lot,” right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer. “We had a pretty good tell when they were going to do that.”

Cowboys were out coached. That will happen every time Jason Garrett and staff goes up against a superior HC and staff: see McCarty and Capers vs. Garrett and Marinelli, see McVay and Son of a Bum vs Garrett and Marinelli/Richard. Jimmy Johnson was a walk around coach but he was a great Defensive Coordinator (Arkansas, & Pitt) that Head coached for 10 years before going to the Cowboys. Jason Garrett scares no Head Coach in the league.

You have to play physical versus the run. No. 99 took a non physical path by not physically standing up the OT pushing him toward the inside. If no.99 pushes the OT to the inside, Anderson would have to stop momentum and jump to the outside (what you want a +230 pound back to do vs. run straight to a gap) where he would have be tackled by 2-3 players on the play you illustrated.

We got out coached and it will happen again and again as long as Jason Garrett is HC.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Marinelli stayed in 4-2-5 nick package most of the game.

Hard headed and stubborn as a mule.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Zero.....besides...I'm 100% sure he's plagerising someone elses work. He wouldn't know the difference between an A-gap and an A-hole.:popcorn:
Lol I was being sarcastic. Someone in the Brown and Lewis break down he did question his credentials. His "credentials" are just as good and better than most who give their opinions on here.

Number1

Reaction score
so basically, Marinelli got schooled by McVay.

there was nothing different that day about the Rams run O than any other game

we got stomped in the trenches - that's when play calling don't matter much
- that's the only way an NFL O goes 1 of 10 on 3rd down
- that's the only way a NFL D allows 270 on the ground

it was almost predictable just looking at the players

did you see Collins and 3 bad DTs out playing the best (healthiest) OL in the playoffs?
did you actually think Looney and Xavier / Connor vs Sue and Donald would allow Zeke to dominate the game?
did you expect an OL that allowed 56 regular season sacks to protect Dak?

dude - really?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Rams are in a division with SEA and played Richard twice a year.
They knew how to attack his defense better than most.
They then had a week off to watch our team in the playoffs put on an A defensive performance and choose what to install to beat that.
They did. And soundly.

I expect us to get better from it.
To have a different set of defensive formations when we see that again.

Richard isn't the DC.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I put more blame on that loss on Linehan and his highly predictable offense. The Rams knew every play we ran before the ball was snapped. If we could’ve moved the ball offensively, the Rams wouldn’t have had the ball as much as they did. The Rams time of possession was around 36 mins to the Cowboys 23 and the final score was 30-22. This was the final straw for Linehan and the team did the right thing by firing him afterwards.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, they have options built into their plays such that they can vary the play based on defensive alignment without having to call an audible.

They do audible at times, but their base concept is having options built into plays.

The option does not have to change the requirements for all players. Sometimes it might just change the play for the QB and 1 or 2 other players.
this is very like what kliff kingsbury did in college(tho with no real balance) and likely why he got the arizona job even after failing to win at tech.
teams are looking for the next mcvay.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Would be to have a QB that could sustain drives....and not have the Rams offense on the field @ all. That was the forumula that was winning us games. Problem is...Our QB is so inconsistant...you just never know what your going to get from series to series.

oh, HERE we go again with the "our bus driver" QB.... good grief give it a rest. Our D got out coached and so did that schulb OC Linehan. Dak had winning numbers from that game, if not for the fact the Rams sustained drives by off running it down our throats...you can't stop the run, then they own the TOP.

Proof

Reaction score
Thank you for all the effort you put into these posts. At some point though you just have to concede the fact that there is no stopping CJ Anderson

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to play physical versus the run. No. 99 took a non physical path by not physically standing up the OT pushing him toward the inside. If no.99 pushes the OT to the inside, Anderson would have to stop momentum and jump to the outside (what you want a +230 pound back to do vs. run straight to a gap) where he would have be tackled by 2-3 players on the play you illustrated.

This is the type of discussion I had hoped to invoke; although, I don't understand your analysis regarding #99.

Woods is #99, the RDT in this play.

He has to flow to the outside on Zone Runs to the outside.
In this alignment there not really another choice.

The LBs and backside DL must cover cut-backs.

Woods is initially double-teamed by the OC and LG.
The LG then quickly moves to the 2nd level.

The requirement of Woods to flow to the outside takes him out of the play regardless.

The backside DT is #51 Reid. He has a chance to close the gap; although, not really a chance to stop them from getting the 1st down on 2nd and 1.

Reid was blocked by the RG and RT. The RG initially has leverage (inside position) and then hands him off to the RT as the RG moves to the 2nd level.

A great DT in place of Reid probably closes the gap something like 5 of 10 times on this play but probably doesn't stop them from getting the 1 yard.

The alignment in the image that I edited to move players does solve the problem and would give them a chance to prevent the 1 yard need for a 1st.

Big D

Reaction score
Thank you for all the effort you put into these posts. At some point though you just have to concede the fact that there is no stopping CJ Anderson
CJ Anderson the unstoppable force!:laugh:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is very like what kliff kingsbury did in college(tho with no real balance) and likely why he got the arizona job even after failing to win at tech.
teams are looking for the next mcvay.

Yes, Kingsbury has multiple options built into plays; however, I want to be clear for anybody reading this that I expect Kellen Moore to run something much more like the Rams offense than Kingbury's offense.

Kingsbury's offense has a focus on spread concepts and a running QB.

The Rams offensive was in many ways the opposite of a spread type system.

I'm certain Kingsbury's offense will be the talk of the town for a period of time in the NFL; however, I'm skeptical about it long term or winning Super Bowls.

The history of running QBs and spread concepts in the NFL is not that great.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go back to what the Rams OL said: “They’re a defensive line that really likes to move a lot,” right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer. “We had a pretty good tell when they were going to do that.”
With regards to the Rams knowing what the Cowboys DL would do and exploiting the Cowboys stunts, I did see plays where that was obvious; however, it was generally early in the game.

The Cowboys did make some adjustments as the game progressed but the early success had caused some fatigue on the Cowboys DL and the Rams running scheme was going to win vs the defensive alignment used by the Cowboys.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes, Kingsbury has multiple options built into plays; however, I want to be clear for anybody reading this that I expect Kellen Moore to run something much more like the Rams offense than Kingbury's offense.

Kingsbury's offense has a focus on spread concepts and a running QB.

The Rams offensive was in many ways the opposite of a spread type system.

I'm certain Kingsbury's offense will be the talk of the town for a period of time in the NFL; however, I'm skeptical about it long term or winning Super Bowls.

The history of running QBs and spread concepts in the NFL is not that great.
you dont need to tell me, lol.
3 double cloud eats that offense alive.

but the basic gist of quick set, option play-calling I do think KK uses this year will resemble McVay more than his Air Raid collegiate work.

Number1

Reaction score
What did the patriots do? How’d they defend it so well?

And thanks for another great breakdown. I appreciate it

they did what always do - stay deep with healthy players and execute