Cowboys rushing attack

khiladi

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...wboys-1000-yards-ezekiel-elliott-tony-pollard

As if the storied Dallas Cowboys had any history left to set, this could be the first season that America’s Team boasts two thousand-yard rushers in its 61-year history in the league. Tony Pollard currently has 506 yards through eight games, while Ezekiel Elliott closely follows with 443 yards, even after missing a full game due to injury. If calculated for the rest of the season’s nine games at their respective yards per game (63.3), both running backs will notch 569 more yards before the playoffs even begin, which would catapult the pair past the thousand-yard mark.

The dual-headed rush attack actually came close last year when Elliott finished the season with 1,002 yards while Pollard logged 719, but both backs have increased their yards per game by 5-10 yards this season as Kellen Moore puts more of an emphasis on a balanced pass and rush offense.

Dallas’ offense looked a lot different last year. What was commonly known as a pass-heavy attack had Dak Prescott averaging 37 pass attempts per game, which made good for the fifth-most pass attempts per game during the 2021-2022 season.

Just as a reminder, since we are here recycling excuses for Dak, this was the state of the rushing attack the last two seasons. In both cases, Dak as usual sucked against zone defenses.

I’m not exactly what people meant by being more balanced for Dak, because most of his picks came in the most balanced offense he had since you played for Linehan. Cooper Rush was 4-1 in it and they were quite conservative in the passing game.

His INTs have nothing to do with balance, they have to do with his decision making and he needs a basic offense.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...wboys-1000-yards-ezekiel-elliott-tony-pollard

Just as a reminder, since we are here recycling excuses for Dak, this was the state of the rushing attack the last two seasons prior by November. In both cases, Dak as usual SUCKED against zone defenses.
Why does nobody realize that 99% of teams we play have the "stop the run and make Dak beat you mindset"?

Not every team has the personnel to do that, but the ones that do usually embarrass our offense.

You've had players tell you it is their gameplan. You've had coaches tell you things like "Dak should pay half his money to Zeke". But yet everyone just ignores it.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I get this is an anti-Dak thread but I just saw some twitter post from Dez saying that Belichick blocked Zeke from returning to the Cowboys for the playoff run. If true it shows someone was concerned about the rushing attack heading into the playoff run.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I get this is an anti-Dak thread but I just saw some twitter post from Dez saying that Belichick blocked Zeke from returning to the Cowboys for the playoff run. If true it shows someone was concerned about the rushing attack heading into the playoff run.
I doubt if true, but let's just assume it is.. typical Jerry.. Day late and a dollar short. Reactive instead of proactive. That has always been the problem with this FO.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

His INTs have nothing to do with balance, they have to do with his decision making and he needs a basic offense.
Spot on. Reminds me of Donte Whitner after the SF breakdown this year

Everyone focused on his "Dak Sucks" comment but when he elaborated this is basically what he said

That they have to over simplify and basically "dumb down" the offense because he can't process things as efficiently as a legit NFL tier 1 QB

khiladi

Reaction score
Spot on. Reminds me of Donte Whitner after the SF breakdown this year

Everyone focused on his "Dak Sucks" comment but when he elaborated this is basically what he said

That they have to over simplify and basically "dumb down" the offense because he can't process things as efficiently as a legit NFL tier 1 QB
Good point. Everything he said was a spot on assessment and this was actually what the whole off-season was about anyways, to make it much more simple for Dak.