CFZ Cowboys Safeties

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I cannot ever remember us having this quality of safety unit and depth since the Super bowl 90's dynasty
(Woodson, James Washington, Brock Marion, and Thomas Everett ) ... and since the duo pairing of Roy Williams/Darren Woodson.

- Wilson and Kearse could easily be Pro Bowl discussions at season's end, imo.
And many even thought Donovan was ballin' out so well, at one point that he was playing on a Pro bowl level last year.

- Admittedly I was shocked that Stephen Cap Boy Jones committed to re-signing Wilson, as it's widely speculated that Cowboys do not have big regards
for safety play. I thought Wilson would be a goner in FA..

- Malik Hooker has never been this healthy and durable during his NFL career - it had been a crippling fragile eggshell set back for him since his rookie year.
And now he has put together back to back durable seasons for us since he's been with the Cowboys .

- And keep an eye on 3rd year Israel Mukuamu - who may be flexed at both safety and CB. The coaches are apparently very high on him,
and if they let him mastered safety role, he could eventually take over Hookers' starting role.
I need to see what Hookers current contract status is of now, becuz i thought he'd be a FA next year... something that i think Kearse will be as well.

- Should Cowboys decide Not to re-sign Kearse (whose been a leader of the secondary) and he departs as a UFA.,who will be next to step in for Kearse ?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I cannot ever remember us having this quality of safety unit and depth since the Super bowl 90's dynasty
(Woodson, James Washington, Brock Marion, and Thomas Everett ) ... and since the duo pairing of Roy Williams/Darren Woodson.

And many even thought Donovan was ballin' out so well, at one point that he was playing on a Pro bowl level last year.

- Admittedly I was shocked that Stephen Cap Boy Jones committed to re-signing Wilson, as it's widely speculated that Cowboys do not have big regards

- Malik Hooker has never been this healthy and durable during his NFL career - it had been a crippling fragile eggshell set back for him since his rookie year.
And now he has put together back to back durable seasons for us since he's been with the Cowboys .

- And keep an eye on 3rd year Israel Mukuamu - who may be flexed at both safety and CB. The coaches are apparently very high on him,
and if they let him mastered safety role, he could eventually take over Hookers' starting role.
I need to see what Hookers current contract status is of now, becuz i thought he'd be a FA next year... something that i think Kearse will be as well.

- Should Cowboys decide Not to re-sign Kearse (whose been a leader of the secondary) and he departs as a UFA.,who will be next to step in for Kearse ?
PFF did apiece a few days ago

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-safety-rankings-2023-nfl-season

1) Derwin James
19) Kearse
26) Wilson
30) Hooker

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

we are not elite or great, but we are good across the board, with lots of flexibility and lots of depth.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Well why worry about what's gonna happen after curse now we can let that play out on its own but right now this is a position of strength where it hasn't been in a very long time we have three very good starters and now we have some depth I mean who knows who's gonna step up and we have that bell kid as well

Let's just enjoy this while we have it instead of worry about what's gonna happen after lol

quickccc

Reaction score
we are not elite or great, but we are good across the board, with lots of flexibility and lots of depth.
Right ... i used to worry about a Kearse going down with an injury, and having nuthin else to resort to.... but it's not hopeless with the depth and flexibility, we are compiling.

This safety unit was once one of the worse safety units in the NFL (for some time).... now it has to be one of the better safety units in NFL.
street FA's (Kearse and Hooker) ... and late round draft picks (Wilson, Izzy) .. and who knows what an undrafted Marquis Bell can become and even add more great potential .

This does however confirm Stephen's philosophy at not having to address safety role early in the NFL draft. From what I have always heard, Cowboys would only consider
drafting a safety in first round if he was considered a super blue chipper... (ala Derwin James)

quickccc

Reaction score
Well why worry about what's gonna happen after curse now we can let that play out on its own but right now this is a position of strength where it hasn't been in a very long time we have three very good starters and now we have some depth I mean who knows who's gonna step up and we have that bell kid as well

Let's just enjoy this while we have it instead of worry about what's gonna happen after lol

FA discussions come with the nature and territory .. we talk about Steele whose an UFA,.. ditto with Pollard who is only on a one year tag deal...
Tyler Biadaz is due UFA, re-sign or force a C position in NFL draft ? ... Gilmore as great a trade that it appears is only on a one year deal.

- Plus being the slooow period prior to training camp, I prefer talking about the potential of possible replacement candidates that we seem to be acquiring
in one manner of another .street vet FA's, (Hooker, Kearse) ... late round picks (WIlson, Izzy) ..and could be an undrafted possibility (Bell)

- Sumthin' popped up in the McClay group .... signing Hooker now seems like a brilliant "Money Ball " game plan low risk/high reward

- Who saw Kearse emerging as a leader and impact ? Thought of as a mere special teams ace among fan and media base.

- Donovan Wilson was a thumper who was just an average athlete, but looking like a late round gem.

- Also DC Dan Quinn deserves a great of credit in the way he schemes these guys into great production

blueblood70

Reaction score
FA discussions come with the nature and territory .. we talk about Steele whose an UFA,.. ditto with Pollard who is only on a one year tag deal...
Tyler Biadaz is due UFA, re-sign or force a C position in NFL draft ? ... Gilmore as great a trade that it appears is only on a one year deal.

- Plus being the slooow period prior to training camp, I prefer talking about the potential of possible replacement candidates that we seem to be acquiring
in one manner of another .street vet FA's, (Hooker, Kearse) ... late round picks (WIlson, Izzy) ..and could be an undrafted possibility (Bell)

- Sumthin' popped up in the McClay group .... signing Hooker now seems like a brilliant "Money Ball " game plan low risk/high reward

- Who saw Kearse emerging as a leader and impact ? Thought of as a mere special teams ace among fan and media base.

- Donovan Wilson was a thumper who was just an average athlete, but looking like a late round gem.

- Also DC Dan Quinn deserves a great of credit in the way he schemes these guys into great production
well i realize this prefer to to get involved in the what if game..add names besides Bell , i think hybrid LB/S type could be a box safety with that type of motor and skill is Overshown. Who knows what he becomes or what NFL position he plays best. could be Wilson type easily or might be OLB who knows.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Meh ... it is PFF ... it is as bad as listening to Broaddus. :muttley:
People always complain about PFF but everyone still references their grades.

Can’t just use the eyeball test and you gotta start somewhere.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We

We don't sign Kearse because he'd want too much