Cowboys scouts gonna make or break this season

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
This draft will be virtual for the first time in NFL history. More than ever, the Cowboys are gonna have to "trust the tape" when evaluating players - especially this year.

We've had the combine which is good for measurables but no official visits, like in years past. I saw Jerry interviewing Wisconsin Edge Baun via video the other day.

Times have changed. Jerry is gonna have to really trust that McClay and the rest of their scouts did their homework before this draft. Gotta hit on their picks if we want to contend this year IMO.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I get where your going with this Pete, but I think it's more about the guys already on the roster and what Big Mike and his crew can get out of them.

The draft should produce 2 or 3 starters that's about it, but I agree this draft is vital for the future of the team because of the failed recent drafts.

JBS

Reaction score
Jerry is doing zoom meetings w all of these guys..whoever catches Jerry's eye, especially after a few Johnny walker blues, will be Jerrys pet cat

Luck of the draw

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
This draft will be virtual for the first time in NFL history. More than ever, the Cowboys are gonna have to "trust the tape" when evaluating players - especially this year.

We've had the combine which is good for measurables but no official visits, like in years past. I saw Jerry interviewing Wisconsin Edge Baun via video the other day.

Times have changed. Jerry is gonna have to really trust that McClay and the rest of their scouts did their homework before this draft. Gotta hit on their picks if we want to contend this year IMO.
Welp- that’s a break.....

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The draft more much long term than it is the immediate future. In fact for this year's team, it probably isnt that relevant.

2009 may have been the worst draft we had in a very long time. However the 2009 team improved significantly over the 2008 team

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry couldn't go to the Combine with his whistle around his neck so...
This should get his rocks off.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The scouts can do whatever they want. If Jerry picks the wrong guy it has little to do with them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is doing zoom meetings w all of these guys..whoever catches Jerry's eye, especially after a few Johnny walker blues, will be Jerrys pet cat

Luck of the draw

Hope there are not any Johnny Manziel's for him to pet. :muttley:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point I think they have enough info on majority of the draft prospects that they need. They have the video, measurable info and reports, talked or will talk to their college coaches too.
Now the interviews and such to confirm or eliminate some prospects.

They are also probably going through simulations and mocks getting the big board prepared.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NFL still held combines and McCarthy attended those workouts. No doubt the normal pro day invites and interviews are not happening but I have no doubt that scouts and coaches are looking at a lot of film on draft prospects.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they are good at what they do then they should get some absolute steals and capitalize on this situation..

This situation is a opportunity.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The scouts can do whatever they want. If Jerry picks the wrong guy it has little to do with them.
Parents don't have to listen their kids. My house, my rules. Jerry's house, Jerry's rules. He pays those guys to scout not make multimillion dollar decisions. Those draftees are about to get paid millions over the course of their rookie contracts. They tell McClay what they think, who they like, then they go sit at the kids table.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Parents don't have to listen their kids. My house, my rules. Jerry's house, Jerry's rules. He pays those guys to scout not make multimillion dollar decisions. Those draftees are about to get paid millions over the course of their rookie contracts. They tell McClay what they think, who they like, then they go sit at the kids table.

yep....then Jerry asks merrineli what he thinks.