Cowboys season rest on drafted OL becoming immediate starters

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is little time to develop our newest drafted OL. Guyton and Beebe must make an impact out of the gate. No pressure. But our season may depend on it.

If Guyton isn’t ready then Tyler will have to move over to LT leaving a bigger hole already in the middle without a Center.

While we welcome Elliott back he’s not the RB1 he once was. If this OL isn’t legit out of the gate it also places our QB in harms way with more pressure on him with less protection on blind side and without a strong running game.

And if Beebe is expected to take over at C unless he stays at G if Tyler has to move over then our middle is potentially weakened. Beebe sounds like a solid pick in 3rd round but has limited time snapping the ball.

All of this place quite a burden for these newly draft picks to make an immediate impact becoming legit starters from the onset. What could go wrong ?

Jarntt

Reaction score
I would say they absolutely need one of them to become a good, week 1 starter. Two would be awesome, but I don't know if it is "the season rests on it". For example, let's say Guyton isn't ready and the starters are:
Tyler, Beebe, Hoffman, Martin, Steele.

Not as good as if your 1st round pick is a day one stud, but it's not like it's horrible. Team seems to really like Hoffman and it's not like he has big shoes to fill. Steele should be better as he played a little better down the stretch and based on the thread premise this assumes Beebe "makes an impact out of the gate".

glimmerman

Reaction score
They should be ok. We have Hoffman and Bass I no think they will take a big step forward. I would feel better if we had a better O-Line coach that was more power running schemed. We will see.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Parcells took over the Giants. They needed OL help much worse than we needed.

For 2 years in a row, IIRC. He went OL as his 1st 2 picks, and did the same thing the next year. All started right away.
They won a SB with Jeff Hostettler at QB, as Simms was injured, then won one with Simms.

Hostettler....let that sink in. So yeah we need this OL to step up.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The team liked Mazi.
The team has liked a lot of players that did not perform all that well
So just because the Team likes Hoffman does not mean he is going to be good when playing other than scrubs
But I do agree that our rookie OL have to step up this year

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team liked Mazi.
So just because the Team likes Hoffman does not mean he is going to be good when playing other than scrubs
And sometimes, most times, a player needs 2 or 3 years to develop to be better. Mazi will be fine, just as Hoffman, Bass, Richards all could make a leap as well.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
The team liked Mazi.
Hoffman had 2 starts last year and did not look bad, so we at least have some empirical evidence that he could be a player.

gtb1943

Reaction score
And sometimes, most times, a player needs 2 or 3 years to develop to be better. Mazi will be fine, just as Hoffman, Bass, Richards all could make a leap as well.
THEY could; does not mean they will

gtb1943

Reaction score
Hoffman had 2 starts last year and did not look bad, so we at least have some empirical evidence that he could be a player.
He started against two of the worst teams in the league so its not a lot of GOOD evidence. He might be something. But the ODDS are heavily against a UDFA being anything more than average. Steele is very much the EXCEPTION and counting on another to really get it done is not the smartest thing around

boysfanindc

Reaction score
He started against two of the worst teams in the league so its not a lot of GOOD evidence. He might be something. But the ODDS are heavily against a UDFA being anything more than average. Steele is very much the EXCEPTION and counting on another to really get it done is not the smartest thing around
I don't think they are counting on Hoffman that's why you see Beebe here. They are giving themselves options.

Jarntt

Reaction score
When Parcells took over the Giants. They needed OL help much worse than we needed.

For 2 years in a row, IIRC. He went OL as his 1st 2 picks, and did the same thing the next year. All started right away.
They won a SB with Jeff Hostettler at QB, as Simms was injured, then won one with Simms.

Having LT didn't hurt. But, that doesn't seem even close to accurate. Parcels took over the Giants in 1983.
1983 Draft: 1st pick Terry Kinard DB; 2nd pick Leonard Marshall DE
1984 Draft: 1st pick Carl Banks LB; 2nd pick William Roberts OL
1985 Draft: 1st pick George Adams RB; 2nd pick Stacy Robinson WR
1986 Draft: 1st pick Eric Dorsey DE; 2nd pick Mark Collins DB

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having LT didn't hurt. But, that doesn't seem even close to accurate. Parcels took over the Giants in 1983.
1983 Draft: 1st pick Terry Kinard DB; 2nd pick Leonard Marshall DE
1984 Draft: 1st pick Carl Banks LB; 2nd pick William Roberts OL
1985 Draft: 1st pick George Adams RB; 2nd pick Stacy Robinson WR
1986 Draft: 1st pick Eric Dorsey DE; 2nd pick Mark Collins DB
Not the way I remembered it, but since you looked it up, ok, thanks. Maybe it was another team or another year.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

The only O-lineman Parcells drafted his first 3 years (83-85) was Williams Roberts OG Round 2

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not the way I remembered it, but since you looked it up, ok, thanks. Maybe it was another team or another year.
I would love to have a dominant defense like the Giants had and a running game that could get yardage even when the other team knew they were running it - was also like our 90's teams. We might be one more offseason away from even hoping for that. Signing or drafting a legit #1 RB and maybe two more really good defenders (maybe Liufau is one but not assuming that) one of which needs to be a dominant DT (maybe Mazi but based on how poorly he was last year not likely) and assuming our OL draft picks from this year step up.

MikeT22

Reaction score
And relying on a number of backups and young players, who haven’t shown much, to make substantial leaps is asking a lot.

Looking back at recent drafts, Joseph is long gone and we are still waiting for those leaps from guys like Gholston, Nashon and Mukuama. Maybe Ball and Walentzko can finally make those leaps too.

starfan1

Reaction score
I do believe that to be pretty accurate that we need to hit on our 1st and 3rd pick for sure they need to take full advantage of the preseason including all the camps. I really dont think our Oline excelled at run blocking. If it was scheme related and they do the same thing expecting different results well we know what that can be defined as.

Center was a weak spot and RT was a weak spot Im hoping another year past the injury (Steele) and a new center helps the run game. Id love to have a top tier RB but we dont so Im hoping that RBBC gets it done

My bigger concern still lies in with stopping the run and applying pressure on the QB. We only do one of those things well and Im not sure weve done enough this offseason to correct that.

My hope lies in a couple of things
Zimmer Defense being better with new system
Mazi being improved
LB crew being better

Ok thats 3 things