Cowboys season rest on drafted OL becoming immediate starters

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dare say Ball and Waletzko won't make the final cut and if Asim Richards and Nathan Thomas show anything in camp, then Egoda will be a camp casualty as well.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know if Guyton is ready for LT but I think he would get up to speed faster at RT. Same question about getting Cooper ready at center where as he could step in at LG right away.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If they are adamant about keeping Smith at guard, I would say Richards would have to be seen as the favorite to start at LT.

Can’t expect Guyton to pull off that switch so quickly and effectively.

With the newer younger depth, Edoga should not even make the roster.

Waletzko and Ball are toast. They had their windows, but when you repeatedly get hurt in practice….well there’s the answer.

conner01

Reaction score
There is little time to develop our newest drafted OL. Guyton and Beebe must make an impact out of the gate. No pressure. But our season may depend on it.

If Guyton isn’t ready then Tyler will have to move over to LT leaving a bigger hole already in the middle without a Center.

While we welcome Elliott back he’s not the RB1 he once was. If this OL isn’t legit out of the gate it also places our QB in harms way with more pressure on him with less protection on blind side and without a strong running game.

And if Beebe is expected to take over at C unless he stays at G if Tyler has to move over then our middle is potentially weakened. Beebe sounds like a solid pick in 3rd round but has limited time snapping the ball.

All of this place quite a burden for these newly draft picks to make an immediate impact becoming legit starters from the onset. What could go wrong ?
Very true. And that’s a tall order. Even the top LT generally struggle early on. A center who’s never played center. That might somewhat explain Zeke. He can still block and he may have to save Dak a lot this year

conner01

Reaction score
Guyton has to start even if he not perfect.
Agree. That’s how he learns. For the player you expect struggles and you really won’t know for a couple years if he improves year over year. I like his future but starting at LT as a rookie could be rough

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
The rook Olinemen have to start and do well, and last year's draft class have to have a much better year. Mazi needs to be a stud, Schoon needs to be a good #2, Overshown should be a nice WLB, etc, etc. Plus, how nice would it be for Vaughn to be able to give us 10-15 carries a game?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No it all rests on Dak as long as he’s on the roster taking up a third of the salary cap.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Beebe will get every chance to start. Like Biadasz, I think he will be the starter and will learn on the job.

I think Guyton will get the chance too and if they have to pull him that will be a very bad sign. But I don't think they move Tyler Smith to LT. If Guyton can't win the starting job, Edoga will be the starter. If not him then one of the other young guys. I think they are determined to keep Tyler Smith at LG and I think he wants to stay there.

rambo2

Reaction score
There is little time to develop our newest drafted OL. Guyton and Beebe must make an impact out of the gate. No pressure. But our season may depend on it.

If Guyton isn’t ready then Tyler will have to move over to LT leaving a bigger hole already in the middle without a Center.

While we welcome Elliott back he’s not the RB1 he once was. If this OL isn’t legit out of the gate it also places our QB in harms way with more pressure on him with less protection on blind side and without a strong running game.

And if Beebe is expected to take over at C unless he stays at G if Tyler has to move over then our middle is potentially weakened. Beebe sounds like a solid pick in 3rd round but has limited time snapping the ball.

All of this place quite a burden for these newly draft picks to make an immediate impact becoming legit starters from the onset. What could go wrong ?
It's more than this season. It's future seasons.

rags747

Reaction score
When Parcells took over the Giants. They needed OL help much worse than we needed.

For 2 years in a row, IIRC. He went OL as his 1st 2 picks, and did the same thing the next year. All started right away.
They won a SB with Jeff Hostettler at QB, as Simms was injured, then won one with Simms.

Hostettler....let that sink in. So yeah we need this OL to step up.
Dominant run game and a stellar defense goes a long way.

rags747

Reaction score
If they are adamant about keeping Smith at guard, I would say Richards would have to be seen as the favorite to start at LT.

Can’t expect Guyton to pull off that switch so quickly and effectively.

With the newer younger depth, Edoga should not even make the roster.

Waletzko and Ball are toast. They had their windows, but when you repeatedly get hurt in practice….well there’s the answer.
Agreed, I see Richard’s at LT, Tyler will stay at guard imo.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Since you asked, a season ending injury to Dak.

lukemartin79

Reaction score

I disagree. If Hoffman is the C then the O - line will be 4 vets returning from last years team, and they will need 1 of the drafted guys to step up. Everything Ive read makes it sound like Beebe is ready to start. The things I read about Guyton are almost exactly what was said about Tyler Smith when he was drafted in the first round in 22. That turned out fine and at the same position Guyton will be playing too, LT.
I think what this coming season will rest on most is the guys drafted in the drafts in 22 & 23. Mazi, a 1st rounder, replacing Hankins in the middle and Sam Williams, a 2nd rounder, replacing Armstrong on the end are going to be huge factors. Overshown, a 3rd rounder, at LB will be big too. Its time for them to step up. Time to see if we got players or not there. That will determine a lot more to me.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Not sure it depends on that, but it does depend on us finding quality starters from among Richards, Bass, Guyton, Beebe, Hoffman, Waletzko, Ball and Thomas. Based on what we've seen, I have some hope for Richards and Bass if the rookies aren't ready. It's why left tackle wasn't a priority to me. I felt that we could find a left tackle/left guard combo from among Tyler, Richards and Bass, especially if we added a rookie interior lineman to the mix early, preferably someone who could also compete with Hoffman for the starting center spot.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Better option than undrafted veterans having to step up.