Cowboys should explore trade with Baltimore for Lamar Jackson

amuze

Reaction score
So, I'm finally able to start thinking about next year and beyond. I pretty much imaginarily vomit in my mouth every time I think about Dak and his empty promises. I get the sense Jerry is doing the same.

Keep hearing about the Lamar Jackson drama in Baltimore and how they will very possibly tag and trade him. I haven't seen the Cowboys even mock-trade linked to him. What am I missing?

Would it not make sense to explore a trade with Baltimore? Maybe they don't want Dak's salary (wouldn't blame them) and will go the draft route if Lamar is traded for picks. Can't see Jerry having the patience to go take a QB in the 1st and develop. Obviously, we can't outright cut Dak. So, why not try?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I'm finally able to start thinking about next year and beyond. I pretty much imaginarily vomit in my mouth every time I think about Dak and his empty promises. I get the sense Jerry is doing the same.

Keep hearing about the Lamar Jackson drama in Baltimore and how they will very possibly tag and trade him. I haven't seen the Cowboys even mock-trade linked to him. What am I missing?

Would it not make sense to explore a trade with Baltimore? Maybe they don't want Dak's salary (wouldn't blame them) and will go the draft route if Lamar is traded for picks. Can't see Jerry having the patience to go take a QB in the 1st and develop. Obviously, we can't outright cut Dak. So, why not try?
Two words.

Salary cap.

John813

Reaction score
It's just not feasible to get rid of Dak and trade for a soon to be highly paid QB.

Daks cap hit currently is at ~$49mil. If traded before June 1st the dead cap that sticks on the 2023 salary cap is 58mil, or 9mil more than current.
If traded post June 1st, it's 18mil this year and then 40mil next year.

Now, Dallas could get super creative with a new contract for Lamar, hypothetically, but with a 58mil dead cap hit hanging on the 2023 cap, the team will be very hard pressed to improve on the roster, especially with all the free agents they have.

The highest dead cap hit for a player is held by Matt Ryan, at 40mil for a single season. Next is Carson Wentz at 34 mil from the Eagles

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score

Look man we have over half the fan base here this week blaming everything on the qb and most or half of them didn’t like the guy to begin with

You think there is head coaches and coordinators in meetings saying to themselves hey let’s get that Dak guy

We got 2 more years the only thing we can do is fix the other things and hole for the best

Or you can change your expectations I do that I love the boys but don’t expect much beyond what we got this year perhaps if things fall our way a bit more but this team is flawed beyond the qb

I’m just not a sb or bust fan I’m disappointed but I was pleased with 12-5

amuze

Reaction score
I'm a total noob with cap stuff. I understand Lamar will be paid a LOT, but wouldn't Baltimore take on Dak's cap if we trade him? Can't Cowboys FO restructure some deals and force it if necessary? Let Zeke go, draft Bijan. Trade for Lamar. hmm?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Dak has a no trade clause in his contract. Why is this so hard for Cowboyzone members to understand?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dak has a no trade clause in his contract. Why is this so hard for Cowboyzone members to understand?
Cause he can agree to waive it if he picks the teams he would go to.

No trade clause doesn't mean you can't trade. Just means the team can't trade unless the player agrees to certain teams.

John813

Reaction score
I'm a total noob with cap stuff. I understand Lamar will be paid a LOT, but wouldn't Baltimore take on Dak's cap if we trade him? Can't Cowboys FO restructure some deals and force it if necessary? Let Zeke go, draft Bijan. Trade for Lamar. hmm?

Baltimore would be responsible for the remaining salary owed to Dak. However, the prorated signing bonus sticks with the original team. The Cowboys have restructured Dak twice, meaning converting salary to another signing bonus, leading to a decent sized prorated signing bonus that extends into 2026.
Once a player is cut/traded, the prorated signing bonus accelerates into the year he is moved.

There's salary which is paid out weekly, 18 weeks, and then prorated bonus + any roster or workout bonuses that make up a years cap hit.
Prorated bonuses are usally paid year 1 of the contract or when a restructured contract is exercised

Dak's prorated bonus numbers currently is at 18mil in 2023, 18mil in 24, 18mil in 25 and 3.6 mil in 2026. If moved this offseason those numbers make up the dead cap hit left with the team.
The dead cap can be spread out over two years if done post June 1st. The current years prorated signing bonus sticks for the year, but the following year all the remaining prorated bonuses are posted.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Cause he can agree to waive it if he picks the teams he would go to.

No trade clause doesn't mean you can't trade. Just means the team can't trade unless the player agrees to certain teams.
Whiy would Dak agree to go to wack, crime infested Baltimore?

amuze

Reaction score
We all know that. Just tell him we're going to draft his replacement he'll be benched until he retires. Might change his mind.

CWR

Reaction score

Trades accelerate signing bonuses, and possibly guaranteed money? I'm not sure about the latter. Either way it would likely depend on how much is to be accelerated. I support Dak, but I've always loved Lamar. In that world I would hope we'd be switching coordinators as well. We'd also need a carbon copy back up because Lamar is subject to injury with his playing style.

amuze

Reaction score
You guys don't like Dak, no way you will like Lamar once he is a Cowboy
This isn't about a player's character. Dak has great charisma and all that. If you think Lamar doesn't give us a better chance of winning, well that's another story.

CWR

Reaction score
Whiy would Dak agree to go to wack, crime infested Baltimore?

Because players can waive those clauses. It can be sold to him, especially if he believes he's lost support from his locker room and the organization.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't seen anything about BAL tagging and trading Jackson. Tagging? Yes, only of they can't come to terms on a long-term deal. Harbaugh has been pretty open about this, he's all in on Jackson.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This isn't about a player's character. Dak has great charisma and all that. If you think Lamar doesn't give us a better chance of winning, well that's another story.
I didn't say anything about Dak's character.

I'm talking about the play on the field. Lamar isn't great, sure he is in fast and can run but he isn't better than Dak at throwing the ball.

So my point is, if guys don't like Dak at throwing the ball no way they will like Lamar...... If he was a Cowboy cause the perception changes once they are a Dallas Cowboy

kramskoi

Reaction score
It's just not feasible to get rid of Dak and trade for a soon to be highly paid QB.

Daks cap hit currently is at ~$49mil. If traded before June 1st the dead cap that sticks on the 2023 salary cap is 58mil, or 9mil more than current.
If traded post June 1st, it's 18mil this year and then 40mil next year.

Now, Dallas could get super creative with a new contract for Lamar, hypothetically, but with a 58mil dead cap hit hanging on the 2023 cap, the team will be very hard pressed to improve on the roster, especially with all the free agents they have.

The highest dead cap hit for a player is held by Matt Ryan, at 40mil for a single season. Next is Carson Wentz at 34 mil from the Eagles
And there is still that pesky no trade clause to deal with, not to mention the money that the OTHER team would have to eat...assuming that they even WANT a seven year starter who seems to have regressed overnight into a turnover machine. IOW...who would "really" want him right now, with all the negative financial implications that would accompany him?

I find these vacuous thought experiments involving the trading (or outright release) of Prescott to be completely laughable. And the sad part is that they are likely being fueled, at least in part, by the click-baiting media who want to take advantage of the latest downfall regarding the Dallas Cowboys.