News: Cowboys should focus on these three under-the-radar free agents

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys should focus on these three under-the-radar free agents

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...s-on-these-three-under-the-radar-free-agents/

...Junior Gallette

How is no one talking about Junior Galette except for Junior Galette?

Prior to his tearing his achilles in Washington’s training camp, he turned in back-to-back double digit sack seasons with the New Orleans Saints. Yes, he’s been a 3-4 OLB the last several years, but was drafted as a 4-3 defensive end. he might be the last true right defensive end available on the market.

He has 31.5 career sacks and two safeties notched on his bedpost.

The six-year vet stands just 6’2″ but weighs a solid 257 lbs. His small hand size is a bit of a concern for going against left tackles on a regular basis, but he has the necessary speed to power conversion to win his share of battles.

Galette does have an off-field issue; a beach brawl video from early in his career made the rounds prior to last season. Galette seems to have really embraced the move to DC, despite not playing a game, but they haven’t been able to come to terms and he may need to look for a new home.

Tony Jefferson

Jefferson is a RFA, meaning that the Cardinals could match the offer, but the former Oklahoma Sooner would be a brilliant replacement for Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox in the starting lineup.

Jefferson is stuck behind Tyrann Mathieu in Arizona, but the kid simply makes plays and would work well in the secondary next to Byron Jones. In just seven starts last season, hauled in two interceptions, knocked down 5 other passes, and forced three fumbles. He is also a solid blitzer, for the rare occasion Marinelli chooses the option.

As an original round tender, Dallas would give up no compensation should Arizona choose not to match the offer.

Darrel Young

The Cowboys under Jason Garrett insist on having a fullback on the roster. It’s a prerequisite. With Young’s release from Washington, Dallas has a chance to pick up a fullback who is actually a threat in both the run and passing game like Moose Johnston was.

5’11”, 248 lbs, Young has scored 13 touchdowns in his six-year career; seven on the ground and six through the air. Young would be an immediate upgrade to Tyler Clutts, who has managed to remain in good graces despite contributing little in the form of potential weapon to keep defenses honest when on the field.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Gallette has two incidents of hitting women in the past , although no charges were pressed, I can't see the Cowboys going through that again. But he would be an interesting look on a one year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Gallette has two incidents of hitting women in the past , although no charges were pressed, I can't see the Cowboys going through that again. But he would be an interesting look on a one year.

Let Martin, Collins, and Frederick slam him up against lockers a few times and the locker room part of it will quelch some of his anger management issues...

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Let Martin, Collins, and Frederick slam him up against lockers a few times and the locker room part of it will quelch some of his anger management issues...

I wouldn't worry about that, it's the media that know Cowboys hate sells going after the pick up.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
That media lost my respect a long time ago...

Yeah, it's horrible but I imagine the Cowboys front office are aware of the black eye it received over Hardy.

It certainly seems like they could get him back on discount right now. Can't see it happening. I wouldn't be against Gallette either. I'm of the opinion that one years are a great way of minimising risk and don't believe the previous deal for Hardy was a mistake.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I do like the idea of D. Young as FB, he would be an upgrade.