Cowboys should look at TE Austin Hooper Atlanta in free agency

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I'd love Hooper, but we couldn't retain Cooper. He's going to require a big money contract.

I'd rather Hooper in FA over spending a draft pick needed for defense though.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
The highest paid TE in the league is only making 10 million a year>
Hooper probably signs a deal for 4/35.
I'd do that. JMO.
Also like Ebron.

Reactions: CWR

visionary

Reaction score
We also need a QB, #1 WR, Safety, DT and CB. Gotta decide how to allocate money.

We can franchise or pay Dak, get a top end DT, TE and safety in FA if we decide not to pay Jones and Cooper and still have money to spare

then we can go BPA in the draft and let the board fall to us

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can franchise or pay Dak, get a top end DT, TE and safety in FA if we decide not to pay Jones and Cooper and still have money to spare

then we can go BPA in the draft and let the board fall to us
I don't know enough details to know if that's true, but I'll take your word for it, although lets remember three are other less expensive people to pay that can add up as well.

In any case, your scenario is what I mean by deciding how to allocate money - in this case allocating it to DT, TE & S, and not CB and WR. Those are the kinds of choices that have to be made. My guess is they will sign Cooper and let Jones walk.

visionary

Reaction score
I don't know enough details to know if that's true, but I'll take your word for it, although lets remember three are other less expensive people to pay that can add up as well.

In any case, your scenario is what I mean by deciding how to allocate money - in this case allocating it to DT, TE & S, and not CB and WR. Those are the kinds of choices that have to be made. My guess is they will sign Cooper and let Jones walk.

I agree that the FO will sign Cooper and key Jones walk

to me Cooper will want too much because IMO he is not a true number 1. He disappears in big games too much and is not an alpha, ie give me the ball in crunch time I’ll make the play

I also think that a great TE would really open things up for Dak

JMO

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score

After the year Gallup had, I would lean towards letting Cooper walk, re-sign Cobb and sign Hooper (or Ebron, just to mention another name), and use
Jarwin and Pollard more in the passing game. Can also sign a modestly priced FA or draft a receiver in the third round (like they did Gallup).
But DT and Safety need a real investment. Some significant financial investment, not just signing a couple of low-end spare parts.
CB position might be dicey...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the year Gallup had, I would lean towards letting Cooper walk, re-sign Cobb and sign Hooper (or Ebron, just to mention another name), and use
Jarwin and Pollard more in the passing game. Can also sign a modestly priced FA or draft a receiver in the third round (like they did Gallup).
But DT and Safety need a real investment. Some significant financial investment, not just signing a couple of low-end spare parts.
CB position might be dicey...
That's certainly a reasonable idea. I wish I knew how much of Cooper's 2nd half of the season struggles were due to injury, and how much was due to Cooper being inconsistent. Or maybe play calling and game planning played a part. It's hard to know.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I truly believe that someone other than Jerry or Garrett is in charge and I'm therefore confident.

Whatever TE we end up with I'll know that's who MM wanted and I'm good with that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because they no longer have a contract for his services, not really their choice unless they franchise tag him
they could have offered him deal and yes a FT and a better offer.. if hes that valuable he will always get a great offer from the current team..we shall see what hes worth IF he makes it on the open market.. there are other options as well..

MM will find one he likes , im sure..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Hunter Henry and Tyler Eifert are all free agents this season. Both of those guys have had injury problems but perhaps a change of scenery could help like it did with McFadden, before he fell at his house over a cell phone.

tm1119

Reaction score
they could have offered him deal and yes a FT and a better offer.. if hes that valuable he will always get a great offer from the current team..we shall see what hes worth IF he makes it on the open market.. there are other options as well..

MM will find one he likes , im sure..

I honestly dont fully understand what you’re trying to say...but it sounds like no free agent should ever be signed because if they are available they must not be very good? If so...good for Jerry and Stephen, they’ve succeed

blueblood70

Reaction score
I honestly dont fully understand what you’re trying to say...but it sounds like no free agent should ever be signed because if they are available they must not be very good? If so...good for Jerry and Stephen, they’ve succeed
im saying we dont know if he will even become available as they might try everything they can to keep them..

btw yes most FAS are aged out or not great..there typically reason they are let go..its not always the case but more times then not a team will try to keep a young producing players..