Cowboys should not move up and get bpa

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree, unless they fill multiple needs in FA and are really targeting a specific position/person.

Just too many needs to justify trading up. I'd love to get kinlaw, but I think the cowboys have a good chance of a good player falling to them at 17, either a DT, DE, DB, or WR. I just dont see a huge talent differential from picks 3-17. Plus a ton of roster turnover this year. Those extra picks they would have to give up are very valuable to rebuilding depth.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And get our new Cowboys draftee.
Cowboys would not be dealing here I figure as they have no need for a QB.

I'm not opposed to moving up a few spots if they see a player they really want. To me is not how many picks you get but the quality of the picks you end up with. They very well could stay were they are and get a player they really want but would not limit my options.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would alter this only slightly. They should take the best defensive player available. I cannot think of a position on defense that could not use an upgrade, especially given all the free agents they have.

One thing other teams do is they set up their draft for BPA by filling major holes in free agency first. If the Cowboys sign some free agents to play DT and safety, it opens up their draft a little more so BPA is the best option.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They only have 6 picks in the draft, unless they get a comp pick for Beasley, but don't think they will.
I prefer they stay put, no trades. But if they do move up, make it a 2021 pick, as I think we may lose enough FA's this year to get 4 comp picks next year if they play it right.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree but to do this they will NEED to be aggressive in FA this year

we need 2 starting DTs, 1 (maybe 2) starting safeties and a difference making starter at TE. These players need to be difference makers not fillers

to do this, Cooper and Jones will walk and I’m fine with that

if we do this then we can let the board come to us

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think you have to make that decision once you've settled on your board. The unfortunate truth is that some years there is a pretty big drop off around where the Cowboys select. In other words you may be getting a player that isn't worthy of the position.

Once you make your grades, then I think you have to: 1) prepare to trade up a few spots to ensure you get a player you feel good about 2) sit tight feeling that you will have good options at your spot or 3) prepare to trade down to a spot you feel is equal to the talent you will be getting.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Move down a couple of picks and get an extra 3rd.

4 picks in day 1 and day 2, all on defense.

DT, S, CB and CB in any order but prefer DT in the 1st.

Use the draft properly to acquire as much talent as possible.

You DO NOT trade up and deplete resources.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think they stay put take bpa. Safety likely based on our need and how we’ve tried to trade for multiple safeties. Also mccarthy has a history of going db early

HungryLion

Reaction score
Move down a couple of picks and get an extra 3rd.

4 picks in day 1 and day 2, all on defense.

DT, S, CB and CB in any order but prefer DT in the 1st.

This all depends on how many “first round grade” players there are. If there is a first round grade player available at 17. Take them. Don’t trade down into a spot where you are taking players that are graded as round 2.

They may only have 17-20 players graded as first rounders.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they stay at 17 and don't draft a player in a wheelchair or strung out in an alley in smack, they will get a player to step in and play on that D. There are upgrades available with the first pick and probably the second, if they don't get cute again.

I think Booger made a deal with the rest of them. He'd behave himself and not drink until the 1st round pick was in but then it was bombs away on the Johnny Blue in the 2nd and this past year, they didn't have a 1st rounder. I think he's a sad drunk and feels sorry for people. Poor baby, him just want to get high. Dang, that feller's foot is barely attached. Him no like coaches and they no like him.

Stay put, the team will meet a need at 17 or even lower by trading down and maybe picking up another 2nd. Then Booger can use that on a one legged convict.

Last edited:

foofighters

Reaction score
If they stay at 17 and don't draft a plays in a wheelchair or strung out in an alley in smack, they will get a player to step in and play on that D. There are upgrades available with the first pick and probably the second, if they don't get cute again.

I think Booger made a deal with the rest of them. He'd behave himself and not drink until the 1st round pick was in but then it was bombs away on the Johnny Blue in the 2nd and this past year, they didn't have a 1st rounder. I think he's a sad drunk and feels sorry for people. Poor baby, him just want to get high. Dang, that feller's foot is barely attached. Him no like coaches and they no like him.

Stay put, the team will meet a need at 17 or even lower by trading down and maybe picking up another 2nd. Then Booger can use that on a one legged convict.
Booger would do the team a service if he drank himself under the table and was passed out before the first round.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Either stay put or drop if you're not getting a top 12 talent dropping to you. We're not asset-rich enough to move up nor are we so QB-starved that we need to bet the farm on a new arm (regardless of what the #neverdak crowd would like).

Defense needs a lot of pieces - netting an extra second on day pick could be a nice option.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3mvggm.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, drafting BPA would be really stupid. No team in the NFL does that. Well, maybe DET, and you see the results of that!!!

I would say BPA who fills needs. If you are pretty loaded at a certain position no team will continue to draft that position and not address need. However it can't be just need either because that is where you end up reaching for a position and may not get the true talent to fill it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No to trading up, but yes to trading back and aquiring multiple picks.