Cowboys should sign Eric Berry - After 1st game of season

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Serving 3 games in the last 2 seasons is far from being in a deserving position to require anything vaguely resembling a generous salary. He really had better come more cheaply than I'd suspect he might to justify anything resembling a well-considered signing. :rolleyes:

The Natural

Reaction score
What is it to you fans if he has guaranteed money for the whole year? Cheap bastids

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
For vested veterans, their salary becomes guaranteed if they are on the roster for the 1st game of the season. But if signed after week 1, their salary becomes a week-to-week thing, with none of it guaranteed. Given Eric Berry's health issues, and the fact that he's only played 3 games in the last 2 seasons, he's an ideal candidate to sign AFTER week 1 is over. The Cowboys could potentially get an All-Pro safety to upgrade the position, but at the same time, protect themselves if Berry isn't able to play.

The other upside is that if Berry has an outstanding year, and hits the free agent market again in 2020, the Cowboys would be in line to get draft pick compensation if he signs with another team. But, under no circumstances should the Cowboys sign Berry before the end of Week 1.

Are you ... from ... the, from the future?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I don't know why he's still available exactly, whether he's still injured or its something else, but in my opinion there will be a 0% chance Eric Berry is still a free agent after cut day.

Stephen: Eric Berry is a free agent today.
Jerry: Eric Berry, Eric Berry ... I've heard about him. Good name. Let's make him an offer! ... What's he play?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You could be right.............. he could be done.

But then again, Berry wouldn't be the first vet to hold out at this point because 1) he wants more money and 2) he wants to not have to show up for OTAs, etc.

In other words, if he sets a ridiculous price knowing he likely won't get it but he's OK with that knowing he can lower his price later when he won't have to attend as many work outs.............. but if some team gets dumb and gives him what he wants, then sure, he'll show up at that point.

This stance might make sense for a player that teams have little or no question about his health and ability to play at a high level, but for a guy that is has only played 3 total games over the last 2 years it seems it would be important for him to get into a training camp and prove himself.

quickccc

Reaction score
If berry has any semblance of his past movement skills and range ,then yes he'd be worth the wait and gamble
But it's a reason why a former all pro safety was cut and yet no NFL team has any interest on signing him.
Achilles injury remain among the most difficult injuries to return to form from and is berry even able to perform and grade well enough on the physical exams and private workouts?
And a guy that's barely played the last year and gets cut and no around the league interest with his questionable health is gonna have to show me something worthwhile ahead in camp so I know what I'm getting and to expect instead of waiting til the last week of preseason or 2 weeks into regular season to sign on.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He has played 4 games in the last 2 years, last season he week 15 and week 16 as well as vs NE in post season but was a shell of his former self. Only way I would even think about it would be on a low cost 1 year deal and bring him to camp to see what he has left.