Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign CB Xavier Rhodes to practice squad

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Uhh what's the rush??? Can we let him get acclimated first, it's happened to every player we've signed during the season! You don't just jump right in!

I don't think I had much urgency there. Probably more of an experienced depth signing. We'll see if he gets on the field.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Nice pickup and will be our starting CB2 against Tampa. He should fit in fine since he is already familiar with the scheme(Edwards). Plus he played already with Jayron, Malik and Anthony.
Don't think CB No. 2, but CB No. 3 (but playing on the outside). Whenever we have two corners out there, it will be Diggs and Bland. When we go to nickel, Bland moves inside and Rhodes would take over at outside corner. Wright, Alexander and Mullens get the chance today to prove that playing Rhodes is unnecessary. Can throw Joseph in there as well. I wouldn't play Diggs or Bland much today, if at all. We need to get the other corners sorted.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
It didn't seem too long ago he was considered the leagues top corner.....His play just fell off a cliff and never recovered it seems...

gimmesix

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure they signed TY Hilton to the practice squad initially. just saying
Since players can get called up three times from the PS, I doubt Rhodes will end up on the regular roster unless we go to the Super Bowl. He'll be called up for each playoff game we play.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Signing a player to the practice squad screams desperation? There's really not much committment there, he's familiar with George Edward's and perhaps he can help some of the young dbs. Unless Wright, Joseph, Mullen, play terribly I don't know that he really sees the field.
It looks like he will see some time on the field from DQ comments, I was hoping to be wrong. Let's hope the pass rush gets a head of steam up the middle. Go Cowboys

stinkface

Reaction score
He's going to play a lot. He may be past his prime, but our bad corners never had a prime and probably never will.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's going to play a lot. He may be past his prime, but our bad corners never had a prime and probably never will.
Well i'll say this. Its gotten to the point now where these guys have looked worse than Joseph. If he's gonna be as bad as MUllens they might as well leave Joseph out there.

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
Give the guy one more offseason. He's a fairly inexperienced player due to all the issues in college. No reason to throw him out yet.
All he really need is more awareness... if the light bulb goes off... he would be the best CB on the team.

stinkface

Reaction score
All he really need is more awareness... if the light bulb goes off... he would be the best CB on the team.
Sadly there are players all over the league including high draft picks were the light bulb never goes on. Finding an instinctive football player who has good physical qualities is tough. Look at our infamous Taco who is now on his 6th team after being drafted in the first round because he had all the physical qualities folks were looking for. If you go to Taco's draft profile he was listed as a "Pro Bowl" talent. Not kidding. PS. TJ Watt was listed as a potential starter.

Motorola

Reaction score
Smart move. I just hope all these moves, TY, Hankins, Rhodes aren’t for not with a one and done playoff.
Cowboys making these moves for just that - toavoid a one-and-done postseason (again).

gimmesix

Reaction score
He may just lack the football IQ to ever be really good at the game despite obviously having the skills. Some of that can be a development thing, though, so I believe that we need to give his development some more time. Of course, since we're not in the defensive back room, I have no idea how engaged he is or how willing he is to work on his craft.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Well i'll say this. Its gotten to the point now where these guys have looked worse than Joseph. If he's gonna be as bad as MUllens they might as well leave Joseph out there.
They put Mullen on an island in press. Joseph was getting burnt in off coverage with double moves on 3rd and forever. And mullen went against McLaurin not Zay Jones. Joseph is the worst on the roster by far. Will he improve? Next year anything possible but this year he's fried chicken. Off, press, zone. He sucks

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They put Mullen on an island in press. Joseph was getting burnt in off coverage with double moves on 3rd and forever. And mullen went against McLaurin not Zay Jones. Joseph is the worst on the roster by far. Will he improve? Next year anything possible but this year he's fried chicken. Off, press, zone. He sucks
Joseph has played more press than any other coverage.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Based on what we've seen from the corners we've got, I'd be more comfortable either giving Rhodes a shot or playing Alexander when we use three corners. Joseph, Wright and Mullen don't exactly instill confidence.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can you please include me being dead wrong about James Washington somewhere in the book. :facepalm:
I told ya so bro. Glad to see you admit you were wrong about James Washington, something so many others refuse to do. Speaks volumes of your integrity.
:thumbup: