Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign WR Tyron Johnson

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Aikman was ready to eave the Cowboys over it.
When they took Walsh, yes. Aikman was the first overall pick but he was not established yet and Johnson used the supplemental draft to bring in his former QB. Once Johnson settled on Aikman, Walsh was gone. Not the same situation as now. Dak is the established starter. He's like Aikman after Walsh was traded. Johnson brought in vet backups, but he did not bring in anyone to challenge him as a starter. Of course, Aikman's team won a Super Bowl in his fourth year, so there was less reason to bring in anyone to challenge him as a starter.

gimmesix

Reaction score
:huh: didnt Troy drive us to two SB's on what would have been his Rookie Contract?
First Super Bowl was his fourth year, so I don't know if both were on his rookie contract. The point is that we have no evidence that Johnson would have brought in a challenger for Dak at this point in his career. When Aikman had established himself as a starter, he certainly didn't do it. But, of course, Aikman's teams won Super Bowls. Frankly, I think if Johnson was the coach and Dallas had one of the top running games and the No. 1 defense, there's a good chance Dak's teams would have won Super Bowls, too. Maybe not as many as those teams quarterbacked by Aikman.

My only point again, though, is that we can't say Johnson would have a QB competition with an established starter. Maybe he would have, but his MO was more about treating his starters differently than the backups than it was about creating competition for their jobs. When Jimmy went to Miami, he certainly didn't come in and have a QB competition with Dan Marino, even though Johnson reportedly had a strained relationship with Marino and Marino was in decline.

There some evidence that he was trying to trade with Indy to draft Peyton Manning near the end there, though, so we do know that if Jimmy didn't like what he had, he was always willing to wheel and deal to change it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
First Super Bowl was his fourth year, so I don't know if both were on his rookie contract. The point is that we have no evidence that Johnson would have brought in a challenger for Dak at this point in his career. When Aikman had established himself as a starter, he certainly didn't do it. But, of course, Aikman's teams won Super Bowls. Frankly, I think if Johnson was the coach and Dallas had one of the top running games and the No. 1 defense, there's a good chance Dak's teams would have won Super Bowls, too. Maybe not as many as those teams quarterbacked by Aikman.

My only point again, though, is that we can't say Johnson would have a QB competition with an established starter. Maybe he would have, but his MO was more about treating his starters differently than the backups than it was about creating competition for their jobs. When Jimmy went to Miami, he certainly didn't come in and have a QB competition with Dan Marino, even though Johnson reportedly had a strained relationship with Marino and Marino was in decline.

There some evidence that he was trying to trade with Indy to draft Peyton Manning near the end there, though, so we do know that if Jimmy didn't like what he had, he was always willing to wheel and deal to change it.
4th year = Rookie Season

gimmesix

Reaction score
4th year = Rookie Season
Not sure what that means. Are you saying he was on his rookie contract his fourth year? if so, I wasn't refuting that. You said two Super Bowls, and I was only pointing out that the first one was his fourth year, so the second one wasn't until his fifth. Without looking it up, I don't know how many years his rookie contract covered.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Not sure what that means. Are you saying he was on his rookie contract his fourth year? if so, I wasn't refuting that. You said two Super Bowls, and I was only pointing out that the first one was his fourth year, so the second one wasn't until his fifth. Without looking it up, I don't know how many years his rookie contract covered.
If memory serves, and sometimes it doesn't, Aikman's rookie contract
was for 6 years and a "whopping" $11.037 million.