Cowboys starting to clear cap

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Clearing the cap for what exactly? The FO is really pissing me off!!! Sick and tired of not having money to sign not only our own players, but anyone decent in free agency!! I'm just dumbfounded at the stupidity of this organization. :mad:

It's been going on for quite awhile. Basically, since Stephen Jones started handling the contracts.

shabazz

Reaction score
Clearing the cap for what exactly? The FO is really pissing me off!!! Sick and tired of not having money to sign not only our own players, but anyone decent in free agency!! I'm just dumbfounded at the stupidity of this organization. :mad:

exactly right. They are clearing money just to barely stay above water. They will sign no impact player whatsoever and we all know it

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
They had announced redoing Dak over a month ago but still hadn't pulled the trigger, but apparently they redid his and Martin's deals today, clearing 22m in space. With Cooper likely to be cut, add another 16m to the cap.

I had pointed to these moves as almost being guaranteed well over a month ago when people were freaking out about the cap. There are still probably a couple more coming. Not sure if Zeurlein has been cut but he should be. THat is 2.5 million I think. Jarwin probably gets the axe since we put the tag on Schultz, so there is almost 4 million. I think Anthony Brown should be cut as well...saves 5m. If Tank gets cut that saves 8m. So we could have 57m cleared. Only issue is I am not exactly sure where Dallas sat before the moves....and Spotrac and OvertheCap give conflicting numbers. If is the 24m figure OTC has is correct, it would be around 33m, but have to delete the money from the franchise tag on Schultz. Around 13m to play with and we are talking about signing Gallup, who will take a chunk of that, still need money to sign draft picks etc.

If it is the 9m over the cap that Spotrac says, then we would have another 15m to play with. It is possible that Spotrac was already counting the Dak money.

We do have a couple other possible candidates to clear room that make some sense. Could gain 6 off Lael and 9 off Tyron. Not saying to do it....but it could be.

We have to get a pass rusher for sure, whether it is resigning Gregory, looking for a FA or drafting one high. We could be without Gregory, Lawrence and Armstrong next year. LOL
They are resigning Brown

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Gonna go out on a limb and predict Jerry goes after Jadeveon Clowney and try and convince people this is an upgrade over D-law and Gregory.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is a mediocre corner...a guy you are always looking to replace. We drafted Joseph to be a starter, put him out there. Lewis plays the slot. We have a couple reserves that need to step up. Probably draft another corner.
But why cut him and not trade him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Listening to the local talking heads since the rumors that the Cowboys are moving on from Cooper and Tank. The locals are overrating Cooper and Tank. Cooper is not even close to 2019 Cooper who was probably a top 5 receiver in the league that year. Tank is solid but needs to take a pay cut. I just wish the Cowboys would trade those guys instead of releasing them.

morasp

Reaction score
I posted this in the NFL zone since it's not the Cowboys but the path the Bengals took to the super Bowl was interesting to me.

We get a lot of Bengals games where I live and when they started to get rid of players like Dalton, Atkins, and Green I really started to wonder if they knew what they were doing. Fast forward to 2021 and they played in the Super Bowl. It made me wonder how they did it.

Despite having a veteran QB with Andy Dalton who had taken them to several playoff games they drafted Joe Burrow first overall in 2020. Much like the Cowboys when they took Troy Aikman the Bengals knew that QB is what makes it go. Burrow was a once in many drafts player who came in and impressed in his first year.

Another top 10 pick in 2021 allowed them to draft Burrow's teammate in college J'Mar Chase who Graded out higher than most of the top WRs in previous drafts including Amari Cooper. Burrow and Chase had chemistry from their time together at LSU and forced defenses to adjust their schemes last year.

The rest of the skill positions were high draft picks with the lowest being Tyler Boyd at pick 55 in round 2.
RB Joe Mixon pick 48 2017
WR Tyler Boyd pick 55 2016
WR Tee Higgins pick 33 2020

The offensive line received little or no attention in the draft other than the Tackle Williams and it showed with Burrow getting sacked multiple times in games.
OT Jonah Williams Pick 11 2019
OT Riley Reiff FA 2021
OG Hakeem Adeniji pick 180 2021
OG Quinton Spain FA 2020
OC Trey Hopins UDFA
TE CJ Uzomah pick 157 2015

On defense the FS, one DE, and all three LBs were draft choices and the rest were FAs singed in 2020 and 2021,

FS Jessie Bates pick 54 2018
SS Von Bell FA 2020 APY $6 Million
LCB Chidobe Awuzie FA 2021
RCB Eli Apple FA 2021
MLB Germaine Pratt pick 72 2019
WLB Logan Wilson pick 65 2020
SLB Markus Bailey pick 215 2020
DE Sam Hubbard pick 77 2018
DE Trey Hendrickson FA 2021 APY $15 million
DT DJ Reader FA 2020 APY $13.25 million
DT BJ HIll FA 2021
DT Larry Ogunjiobi FA 2021
Slot CB Mike Hinton FA 2021 APY $6 Million

Creeper

Reaction score

They started at about $23 million over so just roughing it, subtract $22 mil and add about $11 for Schultz. They are still $12 million over not including Noah Brown. My guess is he got about $1 mil so they are around $13 million over.

sportrac has them at about $9 million over and over the cap has them at about $800k over.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why would you cut a starting caliber CB on a dirt cheap contract?
And one who has easily played up to his contract and is a good player who has yet to cause any issues. Wish we had another Anthony Brown at that price.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He is a mediocre corner...a guy you are always looking to replace. We drafted Joseph to be a starter, put him out there. Lewis plays the slot. We have a couple reserves that need to step up. Probably draft another corner.

to be fair to Brown, he's a good corner.

3 INTS and a TD.

9 Career INTS.

Makes a lot of tackles.

2021 was his best season.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
This team is going to be bad next year. I can see .500 only because they play in the east but it’s going to be a blow it up off-season next year.