News: Cowboys strong side could be the secondary in the 2016 season

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys strong side could be the secondary in the 2016 season
Cowboys strong side could be the secondary in the 2016 season

While none of the players in the Dallas Cowboys secondary have made a pro bowl, there is no absence of strength on this defense entering 2016.

Without Orlando Scandrick, the Cowboys defensive backfield was the NFL's 5th highest passing defense in 2015, and only gave up 19 touchdown passes which ranked 3rd. If there is one area to improve, its creating turnovers, which Dallas was dead last in.

But with Scandrick back from a knee injury, Byron Jones moving to free safety, Morris Claiborne, Brandon Carr, Barry Church and company feel like the sky is the limit in 2016.

"I feel like we could be as good as we want to be. Obviously, all of us have talent. I feel like all of us can go out and get the job done. We just have to put it all together, and all of us have to stay healthy as a collective group," said Brandon Carr, Dallas cornerback.

"Last year the ball didn't bounce our way. I think the major takeaway is to play sound defense earlier in the game, earlier in the downs. Running to the ball, sprinting to the ball and taking shots at it. Strip it, being disruptive on the quarterback. Stuff like that can help us get turnovers," said Morris Claiborne, Dallas conerback...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the D line isn't good then the secondary won't be either.

No, it doesn't always work out that way, prior to the Ware draft, the Cowboys secondary was posting up decent numbers from about 2000-on even though and I'm too lazy to look up the numbers yet again, but year after year the Cowboy defensive line was near the bottom of the NFL in sacks yet the pass defense was regularly ranked much higher in terms of yards/attempt which is the real measure of a pass defense IMO. Woody had a lot to do with that. But also Zimmer should get some credit. Then we had the Newman draft and the Roy Williams draft which continued to build talent back there.

For the last 10 years the secondary has been a sieve more often than not, not matter when the Cowboy defense ranked as far as sacks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No, it doesn't always work out that way, prior to the Ware draft, the Cowboys secondary was posting up decent numbers from about 2000-on even though and I'm too lazy to look up the numbers yet again, but year after year the Cowboy defensive line was near the bottom of the NFL in sacks yet the pass defense was regularly ranked much higher in terms of yards/attempt which is the real measure of a pass defense IMO. Woody had a lot to do with that. But also Zimmer should get some credit. Then we had the Newman draft and the Roy Williams draft which continued to build talent back there.

For the last 10 years the secondary has been a sieve more often than not, not matter when the Cowboy defense ranked as far as sacks.

Spread offenses didn't get real popular until mid 2000s so that's probably why the defenses were still ok playing their bend don't break style.

Those high ranking Zimmer defenses still were awful and teams went down the field more times than not when they really needed to.

JBS

Reaction score
I haven't heard much about Jones...how's he doing?

JBS

Reaction score
Spread offenses didn't get real popular until mid 2000s so that's probably why the defenses were still ok playing their bend don't break style.

Those high ranking Zimmer defenses still were awful and teams went down the field more times than not when they really needed to.

Seahawks had the best D in the league..or at least one of them last year and they didn't get many sacks

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I haven't heard much about Jones...how's he doing?

Little tidbit:

Byron Jones continues to look more and more comfortable in his role as the full-time safety on this defense. During the 7-on-7 period in the red zone, Jones lined up in a two-deep look on the left side. At the snap of the ball, he settled on the hash, reading his keys. Gavin Escobar came into his area from his right and stopped in front of him. It appeared that Romo wanted to go to Dez Bryant behind them, but J.J. Wilcox and Morris Claiborne cut that option off. Romo then decided to make a snap throw to Escobar, but Jones drove over Escobar’s right shoulder and with his right hand ripped the ball out before Escobar could secure it. Romo put the ball in a perfect spot for Escobar to grab, but Jones was just better in his ability to deny the catch. [\quote]

GIFTS86

Reaction score
Is anyone here worried about byron Jones playing safety?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Has to be the secondary. For sure won't be the DL or LB core. A lot of expierence back there.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If the D line isn't good then the secondary won't be either.
Yes sir. This has me worried as well. Hope the Opposing QBs don't have all day. If we give Eli all day, he's gonna deliver to OBJ, Cruz, or Shepard.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Here's why there is some optimism.

Jones is at safety, is an immediate upgrade, he's the best athlete one of the most intelligent football guys on the team.
Carr is back to his natural side.
Scandrick is back from injury.
Mo is the best player in camp so far.
Keep your eye on Anthony Brown, our 6th round.

I watched practice video yesterday and Brown had a break up on Dez and shut down T Will and Butler. Broaddus says so far he's a lock to make the team. You'll be seeing a lot of him against the Rams next week.

Catch makes a good point about the pass rush. IF we can get any type of pressure we might surprise a lot of people.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Is anyone here worried about byron Jones playing safety?

Nope -- not at all. I'm thinking there's not much to lose for a youngster with his talent assuming the FS post. It's all good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's why there is some optimism.

Jones is at safety, is an immediate upgrade, he's the best athlete one of the most intelligent football guys on the team.
Carr is back to his natural side.
Scandrick is back from injury.
Mo is the best player in camp so far.
Keep your eye on Anthony Brown, our 6th round.

I watched practice video yesterday and Brown had a break up on Dez and shut down T Will and Butler. Broaddus says so far he's a lock to make the team. You'll be seeing a lot of him against the Rams next week.

Catch makes a good point about the pass rush. IF we can get any type of pressure we might surprise a lot of people.

The introduction of CB Anthony Brown to our secondary makes me smile more.

There's hope on the horizon with him around. He's aggressive with great speed.

Last edited:

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
The introduction of CB Anthony Brown to our secondary makes me smile more.

There's hope on the horizon with him around. He's aggressive with great speed.

I'm tellin' ya Bull he was impressive yesterday. He was all over guys with no separation. We need one of those late round picks to emerge so bad on defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm tellin' ya Bull he was impressive yesterday. He was all over guys with no separation. We need one of those late round picks to emerge so bad on defense.

We are desperate/due for it.

We need to see some development.

If you're going to skip free agency then you gotta start hitting on some of these guys and find the occasional player that is a real gem.