Cowboys taking look at Ole Miss RB Dexter McCluster

rafaelgreco

Reaction score
Ole Miss running back/wide receiver Dexter McCluster is working out in McKinney leading up to the NFL Draft with Michael Johnson in hopes of bolstering his stock at the NFL Scouting Combine in a couple of weeks. He’s seen as a second-round pick. I can see a fit for the Cowboys because they’re looking for big plays offensively and potentially in the return game. He did a nice job at the Senior Bowl. He might not fit the size profile at 5-8, 165 pounds, but he’s got the playmaking down. McCluster didn’t leave the area after the Cotton Bowl, choosing to get a head start on his training. McCluster’s coach at Ole Miss is Houston Nutt, a good friend of Jerry Jones. “Hopefully he’ll give him the good word,” McCluster joked, adding that he wouldn’t ave any objections to playing for the Cowboys. — Dallas Morning News

links18

Reaction score
Where in the world does it say the Cowboys are looking at him?

rafaelgreco

Reaction score
Catching up with Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster

10:35 AM Wed, Feb 17, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/bio-icon.jpg Bio | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
Dexter McCluster is a name I keep getting e-mails about, regarding the Cowboys as we start to get heavy into the draft.
The Ole Miss running back/wide receiver is working out in McKinney leading up to the NFL Draft with Michael Johnson in hopes of bolstering his stock at the NFL Scouting Combine in a couple of weeks.
He's seen as a second-round pick. I can see a fit for the Cowboys because they're looking for big plays offensively and potentially in the return game. He did a nice job at the Senior Bowl. He might not fit the size profile at 5-8, 165 pounds, but he's got the playmaking down.
He ran for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior and caught 44 passes for 520 yards and three scores. In the Cotton Bowl win against Oklahoma State, he carried 34 times for 184 yards and caught five passes for 45 yards.
Can he be a Josh Cribbs' type? McCluster liked the comparison.
"Him and [DeSean] Jackson out of Philadelphia, they're doing some good things," McCluster said. "It goes to show with them being successful in the NFL if you're a playmaker and a football player that it doesn't matter what size you are. As long as you can play you'll be all right."
McCluster didn't leave the area after the Cotton Bowl, choosing to get a head start on his training. McCluster's coach at Ole Miss is Houston Nutt, a good friend of Jerry Jones.
"Hopefully he'll give him the good word," McCluster joked, adding that he wouldn't ave any objections to playing for the Cowboys.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
#27 in Round 2, sure

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
The Realist;3281784 said:
Too bad he brings zero in the return game.

It's not that he cant, it's just that he was never really asked to. They were afraid it would reduce his effectiveness on offense.

Reaction score
if we drafted him he would for sure be an impact on ST partly because in college he was an every down player, they were reluctant to use him on returns. In NFL that won't be the case, so he will be a dominant returner for sure. Btw where in that article does it say there looking at him?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
SDogo;3281791 said:
It's not that he cant, it's just that he was never really asked to. They were afraid it would reduce his effectiveness on offense.

It is annoying to hear that litany about zero in the return game. Just off the top of my head, I don't think he has ten returns period. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He's got elite talent. Whether or not it translates to the NFL is debatable. His talent is not. If he were bigger he'd be a first round pick.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
rafaelgreco;3281748 said:
Catching up with Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster

10:35 AM Wed, Feb 17, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/bio-icon.jpg Bio | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
Dexter McCluster is a name I keep getting e-mails about, regarding the Cowboys as we start to get heavy into the draft.
The Ole Miss running back/wide receiver is working out in McKinney leading up to the NFL Draft with Michael Johnson in hopes of bolstering his stock at the NFL Scouting Combine in a couple of weeks.
He's seen as a second-round pick. I can see a fit for the Cowboys because they're looking for big plays offensively and potentially in the return game. He did a nice job at the Senior Bowl. He might not fit the size profile at 5-8, 165 pounds, but he's got the playmaking down.
He ran for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior and caught 44 passes for 520 yards and three scores. In the Cotton Bowl win against Oklahoma State, he carried 34 times for 184 yards and caught five passes for 45 yards.
Can he be a Josh Cribbs' type? McCluster liked the comparison.
"Him and [DeSean] Jackson out of Philadelphia, they're doing some good things," McCluster said. "It goes to show with them being successful in the NFL if you're a playmaker and a football player that it doesn't matter what size you are. As long as you can play you'll be all right."
McCluster didn't leave the area after the Cotton Bowl, choosing to get a head start on his training. McCluster's coach at Ole Miss is Houston Nutt, a good friend of Jerry Jones.
"Hopefully he'll give him the good word," McCluster joked, adding that he wouldn't ave any objections to playing for the Cowboys.

this is why if a top player isnt there when we pick the 27th pick, i would rather for us to trade down some, pick up an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, then with that high 3rd you could take mccluster to be a 3rd down back like sproles and return kickoffs and punts and you can put him in the slot some too

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think McCluster will be used as a wideout and PR. I suppose he could be used as a RB but I'm still thinking he is too small for it. He looks like a Y to me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jobberone;3281804 said:
It is annoying to hear that litany about zero in the return game. Just off the top of my head, I don't think he has ten returns period. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

He's got elite talent. Whether or not it translates to the NFL is debatable. His talent is not. If he were bigger he'd be a first round pick.
He had nine punt returns and nineteen kickoff returns in his college career.

The Realist

Reaction score
Alexander;3282217 said:
He had nine punt returns and nineteen kickoff returns in his college career.

Thank you.

I am so tired of hearing about his return ability.

Apparently Ole Miss didn't need improved field postion or they were just showing mercy on the rest of the SEC.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The Realist;3282241 said:
Thank you.

I am so tired of hearing about his return ability.

Apparently Ole Miss didn't need improved field postion or they were just showing mercy on the rest of the SEC.
According to McCluster, he was lobbying to get more duty there and supposedly Houston Nutt wouldn't allow it.

He might not be bad at it, but there is this idea he will be (or is) a great returner, but in reality, he's very unproven.

The Realist

Reaction score
Alexander;3282267 said:
According to McCluster, he was lobbying to get more duty there and supposedly Houston Nutt wouldn't allow it.

He might not be bad at it, but there is this idea he will be (or is) a great returner, but in reality, he's very unproven.

Although there is no such thing as a sure thing..........

For where he is going to go and given his size........I want a proven commodity as a return man.

I think Arenas fits perfectly.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Realist;3282307 said:
Although there is no such thing as a sure thing..........

For where he is going to go and given his size........I want a proven commodity as a return man.

I think Arenas fits perfectly.

I tend to agree with you. I see McCluster as an all or nothing type pick. He could beat the odds and overcome his size (others have) and show himself as a big time playmaker or be a complete bust I don't think there is going to be much of an in between with McCluster

The Realist

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3282350 said:
I tend to agree with you. I see McCluster as an all or nothing type pick. He could beat the odds and overcome his size (others have) and show himself as a big time playmaker or be a complete bust I don't think there is going to be much of an in between with McCluster

And a few things about our WR position which makes it tough to draft a fit:

1) Miles caught 80 balls with only 11 starts. Does he see the ball more in 16 game season?

2) Roy needs to do more.

3) Bennett needs to do more.

4) Choice needs more touches.

5) Hurd had a huge camp but wasn't able to carry it over to the season. My guess is we tender him to see if he can put it all together finally.

6) Staff has high hopes for Ogletree.

Put all that together and it makes me think we keep on trying to groom up a couple PS guys. Unless we decide to move Crayton to Miami for some reason.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Realist;3282371 said:
And a few things about our WR position which makes it tough to draft a fit:

1) Miles caught 80 balls with only 11 starts. Does he see the ball more in 16 game season?

2) Roy needs to do more.

3) Bennett needs to do more.

4) Choice needs more touches.

5) Hurd had a huge camp but wasn't able to carry it over to the season. My guess is we tender him to see if he can put it all together finally.

6) Staff has high hopes for Ogletree.

Put all that together and it makes me think we keep on trying to groom up a couple PS guys. Unless we decide to move Crayton to Miami for some reason.

I think that is a good break down.