Cowboys talk to Manny Lawson Wednesday

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Just thought that the manny lawson fans might want to know that Wednesday the cowboys talked with Manny Lawson on wednesday, more is to come on scout.com their updates,

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Who is Manny Lawson?

DE at NC st.
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.59
Strengths:
An amazing athlete with rare ability...Has outstanding speed and quickness with a great burst...Extremely explosive...Tremendous pass rusher off the edge...Good agility and can drop into coverage...Smart player with good instincts...Good tackler...Makes plays in space...Productive and can be very disruptive...Vertical jump is higher than the device used to measure that stat...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Vastly undersized...A DE / OLB 'tweener who may not have a clear position at the pro level...Struggles to defend the run...Needs to get stronger...Gets engulfed by massive offensive tackles...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Needs to use his hands better...Is he just a workout warrior?...Relies on speed heavily...Won't be a fit for every team and will need to be in the right system to succeed.

Notes:
Competed as a hurdler, long jumper, triple jumper and relay runner for the Wolfpack track team...The prevalence of the 3-4 defense in the NFL will likely help Lawson's case as he would seem to be a prototypical OLB is that scheme.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
7 --LAWSON Manny . NCst 6- 4.0...234...4.57 -------- 370.77
3 blocked kicks in 02 -Can Run ,Worked at LB in 03, 6 Sacks in 04, Pretty much a pass rusher, who will stick his nose in on Running Plays

TheHustler

Reaction score
Sounds like a good fit at OLB for us.... with him and Ware, we'd have a sweet pair of pass rushing OLBs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm a bit more concerned with the ILB and how we started to struggle with the running game. Not saying Lawson would not be a good pickup but I see more concerns on the inside than outside.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Don't worry....we finally have a great scouting dept......Ireland and crew will give Big Bill the best picks in approx 5 weeks...

wileedog

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm a bit more concerned with the ILB and how we started to struggle with the running game. Not saying Lawson would not be a good pickup but I see more concerns on the inside than outside.

I have equal concerns for both. Shanle and Fowler were exposed as the season went on, but we still need that difference maker opposite Ware.

I think Burnett will fare well inside or outside, but obviously he hasn't proved anything yet other than a penchant for injury. It would be dangerous entering the season with him pencilled in at starter inside or outside.

Take the BPA, inside or outside, and then fill the other spot later in the draft, IMO.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
DE at NC st.
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.59
Strengths:
An amazing athlete with rare ability...Has outstanding speed and quickness with a great burst...Extremely explosive...Tremendous pass rusher off the edge...Good agility and can drop into coverage...Smart player with good instincts...Good tackler...Makes plays in space...Productive and can be very disruptive...Vertical jump is higher than the device used to measure that stat...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Vastly undersized...A DE / OLB 'tweener who may not have a clear position at the pro level...Struggles to defend the run...Needs to get stronger...Gets engulfed by massive offensive tackles...Doesn't always play with good leverage...Needs to use his hands better...Is he just a workout warrior?...Relies on speed heavily...Won't be a fit for every team and will need to be in the right system to succeed.

Notes:
Competed as a hurdler, long jumper, triple jumper and relay runner for the Wolfpack track team...The prevalence of the 3-4 defense in the NFL will likely help Lawson's case as he would seem to be a prototypical OLB is that scheme.

LOL this is similar to Ware's scouting report a few months before the draft.