Cowboys talk with Jeff Webb; WR SDSU...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
[SIZE=+2]La Quinta grad Jeff Webb shares NFL combine story[/SIZE]

"When I was standing there getting ready to run (40-yard dash), I looked and saw Al Davis, Bill Parcells, (Chiefs head coach) Herman Edwards and (Panthers head coach) John Fox all there. I'm a very emotional guy. I had tears in my eyes. I knew this was a time that was going to determine my life. I saw my mom and dad waving their hands saying, 'come on let's do it' in my mind. If you saw it on (NFL Network) you saw that I stuck my tongue out when I was finished. I stuck my tongue out because I knew it was an unbelievable time (4.37). I was really relaxed going into that second 40 when I ran a 4.40, and I was still faster than most guys out there."

"I'm real blessed. It was an awesome experience for me. I met with Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones (Saturday night) and it was very intimidating. I had to become a man real fast. They wanted to know about my father's history and my mother's history. When you have a meeting with a team scheduled it's much more intense - all business, no joking around. It couldn't have gone much better. I just look forward to April 29 or 30 (NFL Draft). I know the Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals, (Philadelphia) Eagles are the teams I mainly talked to. My agent told me I made myself quite a bit of money today and that 'you should look forward to getting your name called the first day (first three rounds).'"

"I have classes (this) afternoon, so Jeff Webb is back to being a full-time student until my pro day on April 11. I'll just run routes. I don't have to do the 40 again. I'm still going to be working out in San Diego and I'm still going to be keeping my conditioning up and after (pro day), I'll get into football shape, because after the draft you got mini-camp for rookies the week after that."

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/hosted/web_stats.jpg

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Good find TB.

Here's a profile I found on him from NFLDraftForecast.com. However I think their profiles were written prior to the collegiate season.

jeffwebb.jpg
Jeff Webb | #19

Wide Receiver - San Diego St.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 200
One of the sleeper wide receivers in the draft, Jeff Webb is a good blend of size, and solid natural athletic ability. He is a very sound overall player coming from a pass dominant offense at San Diego State, his hands are going to be reliable, and he is going to be well polished route runner. His athletic ability is above average, as he displays the ability to catch far out of his frame, and make splendid acrobatic and super athletic catches that most receivers probably won't make. Webb has good size, and he uses to his advantage too. At his year's at San Diego State, he was a very consistent target, and always seemed to be extremely productive. Despite this, he doesn't quite seem to have the speed he could have to compliment his advanced athletic ability, if he can put up a solid forty times at the combines, it could improve his draft stock dramatically. The conference he played his ball in, the Western Athletic Conference is not one that is historically known for its top notch defensive backs and shutdown defenses, so one has to keep in mind that he was extremely productive against fairly weak competition. He will probably be drafted in the seventh round, but as I mentioned earlier, if he can show teams that he can be a threat with his speed, his stock could jump as high as the fifth round.

Strengths:
• Great natural athlete
• Sure handed
• Catches nicely out of frame
• Very good size

Weaknesses:
• Doesn't have the speed he could have
• Played against mediocre defenses
• Not a tremendous deep threat

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Here's some more stats on Jeff Webb. And now that we know he runs a 4.37 it makes me more interested.

2004: 71 reception for 853 yards with 6 TD's.

2005: 92 catches for 1109 yards with 10 TD's.

-BIO-Jeff wass a fantastic player for the Aztecs this year. He led their team in receptions and yards, and touchdouwns this season. He runs great routes and he incredibly quick, blowing by many DB's that cover him. At 6-2, his size isn't fantastic, but it is enough to not be considered short. He has tremendous hands, reeling in several one handed grabs in his career including his one handed catch against Michigan in 2004. That catch is considered to be one of the best catches all year in all of college football in that year. He is very consisteny and like his hands are like webs(referring to his name). I think Jeff has a very bright future in the NFL and will definitely create some buzz at the WR position. I see him in the 4th to 5th round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I happened to see the WRs last night and I didn't know who this guy was until seeing this article, but I didn't think he looked very good. Notice how the first scouting report below mentions him as a 7th rounder...

And this article is piece of evidence 1,000,001 why 40 times are B.S. The scouting report says his speed is questionable, and then he runs under 4.4?

Now that said, the fact that he supposedly has great hands is a big plus. Fast guys who can't catch aren't of much use.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Now that said, the fact that he supposedly has great hands is a big plus. Fast guys who can't catch aren't of much use.

Randal Williams would be the exception....

Oh wait...

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Academic problems and trouble digesting play book.

That's all I need to know.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
where did you get your info on this from?

Only draft site worth reading gives you that type of info.

If you don't want to subscribe to that site, my back up site is Google.

Jeff Webb+academically ineligible

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:

Which site do you consider the only draft site worth reading?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:

Sounds kinda Like Julius when he missed a season due to academics

Comment in our Blog

Lesson learned, Aztecs' Webb flourishes

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- There was a time when it appeared Jeff Webb would not step back on the playing field. It was the 2002 football season and San Diego State's athletic department study hall was Webb's home turf.

Webb was academically ineligible and there were whispers that he might not again wear an Aztecs' uniform.

"I came pretty close to not making it," Webb said earlier this week.

But Webb, a fifth-year senior, regained his eligibility and has evolved into one of the Aztecs' all-time great receivers. He needs six receptions on Saturday against New Mexico to pass Will Blackwell and become the second leading career receiver in San Diego State history.

"It's overwhelming and I'm glad I stayed another year to reach that goal," said Webb, who nearly applied for the NFL draft after his junior season. "Once I'm old, maybe I can look back and realize what I accomplished. But right now, I'm just playing football."

Webb has always received high grades on the football field. His 192 receptions are the sixth most among active Division I players and his 2,390 career receiving yards rank eighth among active players and seventh in Aztecs' history.

But the most important season of his five years on campus was likely the one in which he didn't play a down. While former Aztecs J.R. Tolver and Kassim Osgood were setting the NCAA record for most receptions and receiving yardage by two players on the same team, Webb was working on getting his academic situation in order.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Webb said he learned a valuable lesson by having the game taken away.

"I haven't had any academic problems since," Webb said. "I'm on schedule to graduate in the spring. It's truly, truly a blessing."

Another fifth-year senior receiver, Robert Ortiz, said Webb has matured immeasurably over the past few years.

He agrees that Webb received the message loud and clear in his season away from the team.

"It was definitely a reality check for him," Ortiz said. "It hurt him inside that he couldn't play that year. He made a promise to all of us that he wouldn't let it happen again."

What Webb has done since is carve his way into school annals. He's made numerous one-handed or acrobatic catches during his career and his 142-yard performance last Saturday against Utah was the ninth 100-yard game of his career.

This season, he leads the Mountain West Conference with 50 receptions through seven games and his 7.14 receptions per game rank 13th nationally. His catches have amounted to 609 yards and four touchdowns.

Seemingly each week, he has passed one of the school's all-time greats on either the receptions or yardage lists. The players he's passed include past or former NFL players like Haven Moses, Gary Garrison, Darnay Scott and Az-Zahir Hakim.

"That's history in itself and I'm making history," Webb said. "To pass someone like Haven Moses is an honor."

Next up is Blackwell, who accumulated 197 receptions in three seasons from 1994-96 before leaving for the NFL after his junior season.

"I've met Will and he was a great receiver," Webb said. "To be mentioned in Will's shoes is just unbelievable. I'm just looking forward to it."

The school's all-time leader is Tolver, Webb's former teammate. Tolver caught 262 passes from 1999-2002 and is out of Webb's reach.

Tolver was one of the players Webb learned from after entering the program in 2001. Another influential person was Webb's mother, who made sure her son attended to his academic responsibilities during his season away from the field.

"She knew my schedule like the back of my hand," Webb said. "She'd call me and wake me up and tell me to go to class. She was my alarm clock."

AZTECS NOTES ---- Coach Tom Craft said that RB Lynell Hamilton will start Saturday's game against New Mexico. Hamilton (hamstring) missed last week's game against Utah and Rancho Buena Vista High graduate Brandon Bornes gained 78 yards in his place. ... New Mexico QB Kole McKamey has been cleared to play against the Aztecs, but denies he suffered a concussion in the Lobos' victory over Wyoming last Saturday. "It was a pulled hip flexor and some pulled ligaments in my throwing thumb that didn't allow me to come back into the game," McKamey said at the Lobos' weekly media luncheon. "My head didn't bother me at all. I got hit hard enough that I got dazed for a little bit, but that happens all the time in a football game."

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Except ND has higher academic standards than the NCAA.

Julius wasn't ineligible by NCAA standards.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
How hard do you have to try to flunk out from San Diego State?

Same reputation as ASU and Chico State as far as party schools go.