Cowboys talked about Gallup in second round?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is from DC.com:

Sometimes staying put is the best course. On Day 2, the Cowboys had cursory discussions about taking wide receiver Michael Gallup at No. 50. They didn’t and got him in the third round 31 picks later. Saturday, their first pick in the fourth round – Kansas defensive end Dorance Armstrong – was a guy they thought about trading up for Friday night late in the third round. They stayed put again and ended up drafting Armstrong, a talented edge rusher who posted 10 sacks two years ago, later than expected. With the extra fourth-rounder they didn’t have to give up for Armstrong, the Cowboys selected versatile Stanford tight end Dalton Schultz, who can help replace some of the dirty work James Hanna did for the last several years. (Rob Phillips)

gimmesix

Reaction score
This is from DC.com:

Sometimes staying put is the best course. On Day 2, the Cowboys had cursory discussions about taking wide receiver Michael Gallup at No. 50. They didn’t and got him in the third round 31 picks later. Saturday, their first pick in the fourth round – Kansas defensive end Dorance Armstrong – was a guy they thought about trading up for Friday night late in the third round. They stayed put again and ended up drafting Armstrong, a talented edge rusher who posted 10 sacks two years ago, later than expected. With the extra fourth-rounder they didn’t have to give up for Armstrong, the Cowboys selected versatile Stanford tight end Dalton Schultz, who can help replace some of the dirty work James Hanna did for the last several years. (Rob Phillips)

So either Dallas is overestimating the value of these players or other teams are underestimating them.

We discussed Gallup in the second and he was still around for our third-rounder. We thought about trading up into the third for Armstrong yet he was still around in the fourth.

If these picks turn out great, the scouting department deserves a lot of credit for recognizing them as being better than their value to the rest of the league. If not, Dallas needs to take a close look at why it's valuing them more than the other teams in the league do.

Jipper

Reaction score
So either Dallas is overestimating the value of these players or other teams are underestimating them.

We discussed Gallup in the second and he was still around for our third-rounder. We thought about trading up into the third for Armstrong yet he was still around in the fourth.

If these picks turn out great, the scouting department deserves a lot of credit for recognizing them as being better than their value to the rest of the league. If not, Dallas needs to take a close look at why it's valuing them more than the other teams in the league do.

who the heck knows...a lot depends on how the draft falls and where the runs come....Gallup does sound like a very solid pick, but i still question Armstrong even in the 4th...still sounds like a reach

superonyx

Reaction score
After every draft every team says they got exactly who they wanted. They say they valued guys higher than they drafted them and pretend they didn’t have any interest in players they couldn’t draft because another team took them first.

JBS

Reaction score
After every draft every team says they got exactly who they wanted. They say they valued guys higher than they drafted them and pretend they didn’t have any interest in players they couldn’t draft because another team took them first.

I heard we almost took Bo at 19...

Front office couldn't believe he was still there in the 7th round

robjay04

Reaction score

I mean it’s pretty hard to know what every team will pick. I’m sure some teams that needed a receiver considered taking Gallup way earlier as well but they decided the DE or LB they liked made more sense.

Can’t really predict what other teams will do.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I think some are misunderstanding what was going on.

I read that we were worried about the run on WRs and almost panicked into taking one early. We stuck to our board, and got the guy we almost reached for in round two.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Big deal. Same was said about TWill when they took Escobar earlier with a lower grade and TWill was still there in the 3rd.

JBS

Reaction score
Big deal. Same was said about TWill when they took Escobar earlier with a lower grade and TWill was still there in the 3rd.

Yeah it is a big deal

Ten years later..twill is still on the roster..and still can't catch

nathanlt

Reaction score
I heard we almost took Bo at 19...

Front office couldn't believe he was still there in the 7th round

I laughed for at least 30 seconds straight for your comment. Good one!

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think some are misunderstanding what was going on.

I read that we were worried about the run on WRs and almost panicked into taking one early. We stuck to our board, and got the guy we almost reached for in round two.

Even if that's the case, it would mean we valued Gallup over Anthony Miller (No. 51), James Washington (60) and D.J Chark (61). Of course, as others have pointed out, it easily could be a case of Dallas trying to make its choices look better.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think it was confirmed by a chart from the Cowboys' war room wall that this was true.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Well if the reports are true about Earl Thomas, that factored in as well at 50 and 81. Could be that when they said no to Thomas with 50, they still thought that 81 might still be in play for him. That could be why 50 came down to Williams or Gallup.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The story said this was only a cursory discussion. There is no indication they seriously considered it. My guess is they were looking at the fact 5 receivers were already gone, including Courtland Sutton who it was rumored the Cowboys really wanted, so it naturally came up that the receivers they liked were disappearing off the board, and that Gallup might not last until their 3rd round pick. What matters is they made the decision not to let that concern cause them to stretch for a pick.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The story said this was only a cursory discussion. There is no indication they seriously considered it. My guess is they were looking at the fact 5 receivers were already gone, including Courtland Sutton who it was rumored the Cowboys really wanted, so it naturally came up that the receivers they liked were disappearing off the board, and that Gallup might not last until their 3rd round pick. What matters is they made the decision not to let that concern cause them to stretch for a pick.

Fair enough. There might have been cursory discussion concerning the other receivers available, too.

dckid

Reaction score
This is from DC.com:

I would have tried to get Hurst instead of Armstrong since we have a glut of guys at the edge position. Armstrong probably won’t get much time.
For my for a homer in in the 4th is warranted.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I would have tried to get Hurst instead of Armstrong since we have a glut of guys at the edge position. Armstrong probably won’t get much time.
For my for a homer in in the 4th is warranted.

Based on the medical concerns with Hurst, there's no way I would have touched him until at least the sixth round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

These guys had him at #36 overall:
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/prospects-overall.php

In March PFF had him #1. I think they eventually changed and had Ridley as #1.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-top-2018-nfl-draft-wr-by-routes

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morn...Steve-Palazzolo-argues-it-isn-t-Calvin-Ridley

CBS had Gallup in the 1st round:
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-michael-gallup-is-a-first-round-sleeper/amp/