Cowboys that literally changed the way game is played

HungryLion

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson revolutionized the valuing and trading of draft picks.

Larry Allen. Gave other teams players Larry Allenitis and had them faking injuries so they didn’t have to play him.

12+88=7

Reaction score
All the Irvin comments is why I don't regard him as the best WR in Dallas history like most of the younger generation do.

You put Irvin in a time machine for the 70's or change the passing rules back to the 70's and not only Irvin but many WR considered great would not be.

In Irvin's case the famous "push off" would not exist if the defender could legally hold him all over the field. How would he create separation? He wouldn't and be just an average reciever.

As for the topic, those early year teams had the true innovators. Landry, Schramm, Brandt, Hayes, and Staubach. The greatness of that front office with the teams they put together for such an extended period of time is truly amazing.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep, concussions were an ongoing problem with Staubach. Also remember that he did his time in the Navy before he ever got to play in the NFL, so despite only playing 11 years he was almost 38 years old when he retired.
I agree we would have had a better chance of winning another SB had he stayed on.

i suppose Roger luckily did not gather full effect CTE syndrome. At least it's never been announced the way he has with players like
Tony Dorsett.

I think Tex was also the brain trust behind coaches wearing head sets, instant replay, the striping on the goal posts to indicate where the wind is blowing, and I want to say he's the reason the officials wear microphones.

Tex was ahead of his time.

and Tex was unfortunately behind the times when it came to treating players fairly,
Reportedly cheated several of his own players out of thousands of dollars even his superstar players
(see America's Game: 1971 Cowboys - per Dwayne Thomas)

cowboyec

Reaction score
opposing QBs and Off Coord had to game plan around Too Tall and his art of the pass deflection.
joe theismann has many stories about how he was so disruptive to their pass game with his long arms and having to adjust to not having a pass lane when #72 would stretch out those arms.
i hope our DEs discover that lost art.

:bow:ED TOO TALL JONES:bow:

quickccc

Reaction score
Few realize for most of Landry’s storied career as a HC, he was both the offensive AND defensive coordinator. He prepared game plans for both sides of the ball for years.

Two things i didn't like about the mad scientist with the funny hat.
- What was his infatuation with constantly wanting to use safeties as cornerbacks (ala charlie waters, dennis thurman, aaron mitchell, mike downs, benny barnes, etc, etc.)
Downs was quickly changed back to safety after he was atrocious one game start at CB his rookie year.
Ditto with Waters after a year.at CB

-the Other was Landry wanted to be so cute and aggressive with his pass game that he had tendencies to abandon the run - see Cowboys Steelers Super bowl game where Dorsett was eating the defense but Landry halted the run and reverted to the pass -which helped
Steelers and hurt Cowboys chances to win that Super bowl.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i suppose Roger luckily did not gather full effect CTE syndrome. At least it's never been announced the way he has with players like
Tony Dorsett.

and Tex was unfortunately behind the times when it came to treating players fairly,
Reportedly cheated several of his own players out of thousands of dollars even his superstar players
(see America's Game: 1971 Cowboys - per Dwayne Thomas)
Nope. It seems Roger may have quit in time. Funny thing is I don't remember Dorsett having concussions, but they weren't as commonly detected and diagnosed as they are today.

Thomas82

Reaction score
The push-off rule was because of Michael Irvin. Teams also started drafting bigger corners because of him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
These three Cowboys- one coach and two players- literally changed the way the NFL game was played for decades to come. All three of course are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
  • Tom Landry- One of the most innovative coaches in football history on both sides of the ball. Landry was credited with several innovations that literally changed the way Football was played:
    • He invented the 4-3 defense while an assistant coach in NY. which became the base defense for most NFL teams for decades.
    • While in Dallas, he developed what became known as “multiple formation offense“, which had multiple offensive players moving to non traditional places on the field. Like TEs lining up in a slot, or RBs moving into multiple places. It also featured having the OL stand up while players were shifting, making it difficult for the defense to see where players were moving. Now known as “the Landry shift”.
    • In 1975, Landry reintroduced the “shotgun formation”, moving the QB five yards behind the center. It has become the most common snap formation in football. Landry didn’t invent the shotgun, but he’s the one that made it work and stick around.
  • Bob Hayes- one of the few players in NFL history that was so unstoppable as a speed receiver, NFL defensive coaches had to change coverage schemes from man to zone. Before Bob Hayes, man coverage was the dominant way secondaries covered receivers. Bob Hayes shattered that. Look at his numbers in his career:
    • In 1965, ‘67, ‘70 and ‘71, Hayes averaged over 20 yards per catch, including two of those years averaging 26 and 24 yards per catch.
    • Retired with a 20 yard per reception avg. Unbelievable.
    • Hayes had 6 TD receptions of 85 yards or more.
    • The modern NFL speed receiver began with Bob Hayes.
  • Roger Staubach- he was already a very successful QB when in 1975, Tom Landry reintroduced the shotgun formation and Roger used it so effectively, eventually all NFL teams use it today. In fact, over 60% of NFL plays today are from the shotgun.
    • In the 1975 season, Staubach used the shotgun to devastating effect in the playoffs, including the famous “Hail Mary” pass to Drew Pearson against the Vikings in the divisional round on the way to an NFC championship.
    • Staubach was so effective in the shotgun, his completion % increased 5 points and he was able to see passing and running lanes much quicker.
    • Staubach’s success in the shotgun paved the way for the modern use of it in the now common “spread offenses”.
Here’s an interesting 2017 article about the installation of the shotgun by Landry in 1975:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...andry-installed-shotgun-for-cowboys/96558584/

N
ot many NFL teams can say they have three people that literally changed the game of football and how it is played.
you left out 1 thing, Landry created the OC position, he was the prototype for that, and some head coaches today call the plays.
Because of the cowboys success at that time, other teams started having HC or the OC call the plays instead of the qb.

I dont really care for it, but he did create that too.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you left out 1 thing, Landry created the OC position, he was the prototype for that, and some head coaches today call the plays.
Because of the cowboys success at that time, other teams started having HC or the OC call the plays instead of the qb.

I dont really care for it, but he did create that too.
Staubach was never happy about not being able to call his own plays.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
These three Cowboys- one coach and two players- literally changed the way the NFL game was played for decades to come. All three of course are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
  • Tom Landry- One of the most innovative coaches in football history on both sides of the ball. Landry was credited with several innovations that literally changed the way Football was played:
    • He invented the 4-3 defense while an assistant coach in NY. which became the base defense for most NFL teams for decades.
    • While in Dallas, he developed what became known as “multiple formation offense“, which had multiple offensive players moving to non traditional places on the field. Like TEs lining up in a slot, or RBs moving into multiple places. It also featured having the OL stand up while players were shifting, making it difficult for the defense to see where players were moving. Now known as “the Landry shift”.
    • In 1975, Landry reintroduced the “shotgun formation”, moving the QB five yards behind the center. It has become the most common snap formation in football. Landry didn’t invent the shotgun, but he’s the one that made it work and stick around.
  • Bob Hayes- one of the few players in NFL history that was so unstoppable as a speed receiver, NFL defensive coaches had to change coverage schemes from man to zone. Before Bob Hayes, man coverage was the dominant way secondaries covered receivers. Bob Hayes shattered that. Look at his numbers in his career:
    • In 1965, ‘67, ‘70 and ‘71, Hayes averaged over 20 yards per catch, including two of those years averaging 26 and 24 yards per catch.
    • Retired with a 20 yard per reception avg. Unbelievable.
    • Hayes had 6 TD receptions of 85 yards or more.
    • The modern NFL speed receiver began with Bob Hayes.
  • Roger Staubach- he was already a very successful QB when in 1975, Tom Landry reintroduced the shotgun formation and Roger used it so effectively, eventually all NFL teams use it today. In fact, over 60% of NFL plays today are from the shotgun.
    • In the 1975 season, Staubach used the shotgun to devastating effect in the playoffs, including the famous “Hail Mary” pass to Drew Pearson against the Vikings in the divisional round on the way to an NFC championship.
    • Staubach was so effective in the shotgun, his completion % increased 5 points and he was able to see passing and running lanes much quicker.
    • Staubach’s success in the shotgun paved the way for the modern use of it in the now common “spread offenses”.
Here’s an interesting 2017 article about the installation of the shotgun by Landry in 1975:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...andry-installed-shotgun-for-cowboys/96558584/

N
ot many NFL teams can say they have three people that literally changed the game of football and how it is played.

Deion Sanders.

I know most of you so called fans dont like him as a person. Still you should appreciate his talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well done Bob!!

You forgot one other who possibly has had the greatest impact how the game is played.

Jerry was revolutionary in his revenue brilliance for which he was Inducted into HOF changing how NFL football was built and managed with Salary Cap( Jerry a major proponent) , broadcasting with Fox and NFL Network( Jerry a major influence) , Stadium sponsorships ( Jerry spearheaded suing the league for rights) and Fantasy ( Jerry is a major owner and promoter).

Jerry basically paved the way no longer requiring success on the field to spur revenue and popularity while watering down the talent depth not only for the Cowboys but all teams.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well done Bob!!

You forgot one other who possibly has had the greatest impact how the game is played.

Jerry was revolutionary in his revenue brilliance for which he was Inducted into HOF changing how NFL football was built and managed with Salary Cap( Jerry a major proponent) , broadcasting with Fox and NFL Network( Jerry a major influence) , Stadium sponsorships ( Jerry spearheaded suing the league for rights) and Fantasy ( Jerry is a major owner and promoter).

Jerry basically paved the way no longer requiring success on the field to spur revenue and popularity while watering down the talent depth not only for the Cowboys but all teams.
Sadly, you’re right. Great for the owners...bad for the fans.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two things i didn't like about the mad scientist with the funny hat.
- What was his infatuation with constantly wanting to use safeties as cornerbacks (ala charlie waters, dennis thurman, aaron mitchell, mike downs, benny barnes, etc, etc.)
Downs was quickly changed back to safety after he was atrocious one game start at CB his rookie year.
Ditto with Waters after a year.at CB

-the Other was Landry wanted to be so cute and aggressive with his pass game that he had tendencies to abandon the run - see Cowboys Steelers Super bowl game where Dorsett was eating the defense but Landry halted the run and reverted to the pass -which helped
Steelers and hurt Cowboys chances to win that Super bowl.
I hear you. Those are true weaknesses in Landry’s coaching. Of course it’s hard to complain about a HC that took his team to 12 NFC championships in 17 years, winning 5. When you haven’t seen one in 25 years, the “weaknesses” Landry had pale in comparison to clowns like Garrett, Coach Cupcake, Campo, Gailey, etc.

GMO415

Reaction score
Awesome job Bullet, thanks! It still pisses-me-off that the NFL ranked Green the fastest NFL player in history over Bullet.

Like most of the guest on the episode said..."Green? How many Golds did he win in the Olympics?"

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well done Bob!!

Beat me to the punch with the JJ references. Despite all the criticism and cynicism, Jones has had an undeniably positive (meaning $$$$) affect on the NFL.

And, JJ pioneered the use of JWB in media engagements.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Awesome job Bullet, thanks! It still pisses-me-off that the NFL ranked Green the fastest NFL player in history over Bullet.

Like most of the guest on the episode said..."Green? How many Golds did he win in the Olympics?"
Bob was called the “fastest human “on the planet during his time.

But was he faster than Green? We know Bob wouldn’t be the fastest human now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I saw Bullet Bob play in person several times over the years. I’ve seen a ton of exciting, game changing football players over the years. But in my memory, there’s no one I’ve ever seen that was more exciting to watch.

He was literally a threat to score every time he touched the ball. He had 71 TD passes, 2 rushing TDs, and 3 punt return TDs. He had 6 TDs over 85 yards! A game changer- literally.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Beat me to the punch with the JJ references. Despite all the criticism and cynicism, Jones has had an undeniably positive (meaning $$$$) affect on the NFL.

And, JJ pioneered the use of JWB in media engagements.
When you say positive effect in the NFL, you need to be specific. He’s had a positive effect on revenue to all involved including owners but not the product on the field.