Cowboys to visit with WR Randall Cobb

Roland

Reaction score
So let's recap. Many have been screaming for an upgrade a S. No, we didn't bite on any tier 1's of FA, too much money... But this shows we are looking. Since losing two quality DL from last year,everyone can agree that we needed to shore up our DL. Well, we brought in 1 that should be a good rotational guy. We lose Beasley and we are looking to fill that role with another FA, again not a tier 1. A lot of people freaking out because we haven't grabbed the big marquee names in FA. But this has been the pattern of recent. Pick up middle level guys to fill holes which allows you to focus on BPA in the draft. I like it. We are staying away from overpaying in FA, while setting it up so we can draft what we want, instead of what we have to have. I bet we bring in 1 more DL in FA and then we go with BPA on Defense in the draft, (dl or safety but prob not a lb) at #58. Of course, all this is moot if Cobb and Geathers leave w/o a good offer.

conner01

Reaction score
Bringing them both to camp and may the best and most healthy WR reign. Time to let the cream rise to the top!
Depends on if you are stuck with the money
That’s easily 10 mil or more for both

conner01

Reaction score
Right now, Hurns is probably the No. 3/slot guy, splitting time at the position with Austin, who is still more of a utility player (jet sweep, etc.) than pure receiver ... at least I think Dallas views him that way.
I like the idea of cooper in the slot some if Wilson can develope into a player

conner01

Reaction score
I’m pro this signing.

But it’s funny how we load up at receiver but won’t invest in DT and safety
My hope is the draft or a guy like Boston at S
DT is a much harder position to fill
The good ones go fast though this is a deep draft and they are expensive in FA

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So let's recap. Many have been screaming for an upgrade a S. No, we didn't bite on any tier 1's of FA, too much money... But this shows we are looking. Since losing two quality DL from last year,everyone can agree that we needed to shore up our DL. Well, we brought in 1 that should be a good rotational guy. We lose Beasley and we are looking to fill that role with another FA, again not a tier 1. A lot of people freaking out because we haven't grabbed the big marquee names in FA. But this has been the pattern of recent. Pick up middle level guys to fill holes which allows you to focus on BPA in the draft. I like it. We are staying away from overpaying in FA, while setting it up so we can draft what we want, instead of what we have to have. I bet we bring in 1 more DL in FA and then we go with BPA on Defense in the draft, (dl or safety but prob not a lb) at #58. Of course, all this is moot if Cobb and Geathers leave w/o a good offer.

A couple of years ago, we needed a corner because we lost two in free agency. We signed Nolan Carroll.

Last year, we needed wide receivers because we cut Bryant and let Butler walk. We brought in Hurns and Deonte Thompson.

Those moves did not make us stronger or even help us maintain status quo. Filling your holes with "mid-level free agents" often means that you didn't actually fill the holes.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I like the idea of cooper in the slot some if Wilson can develope into a player

Although I hope for the best with Wilson, I'm not counting on anything there until I see it. Right now, our top three are Cooper/Gallup/Hurns with Austin bringing a different skill set to the slot if he can stay healthy. Hurns can play any of the spots, so Cooper can be moved around if Hurns is in the game.

This is not to say I'm not for replacing Hurns, but right now, he's a vet receiver who has at least shown that he can play in a regular-season NFL game. He's certainly accomplished more as a receiver than Austin ever has (despite the draft status). So the choice for me is replacing him with someone just as proven or keeping him around and hoping that someone like Wilson can prove worthy of stealing playing time from him.

conner01

Reaction score
Although I hope for the best with Wilson, I'm not counting on anything there until I see it. Right now, our top three are Cooper/Gallup/Hurns with Austin bringing a different skill set to the slot if he can stay healthy. Hurns can play any of the spots, so Cooper can be moved around if Hurns is in the game.

This is not to say I'm not for replacing Hurns, but right now, he's a vet receiver who has at least shown that he can play in a regular-season NFL game. He's certainly accomplished more as a receiver than Austin ever has (despite the draft status). So the choice for me is replacing him with someone just as proven or keeping him around and hoping that someone like Wilson can prove worthy of stealing playing time from him.
Austin is a gimmick guy
If used right he could have an impact but don’t know if he’s a true slot guy that can move the chains

Roland

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, we needed a corner because we lost two in free agency. We signed Nolan Carroll.

Last year, we needed wide receivers because we cut Bryant and let Butler walk. We brought in Hurns and Deonte Thompson.

Those moves did not make us stronger or even help us maintain status quo. Filling your holes with "mid-level free agents" often means that you didn't actually fill the holes.
Fair enough, good point. I still thinks it helps keep you from having to reach in the Draft

Carson

Reaction score
Austin is a gimmick guy
If used right he could have an impact but don’t know if he’s a true slot guy that can move the chains

Agreed.

You get Cooper and Gallup outside. Cobb in the slot. Austin is your gimmick, can play HB in certain plays. Brown is your blocker ... hopefully Wilson becomes a player.

But I love Cooper, Gallup and Cobb. That’s a pretty damn good 1-2-3 punch

gimmesix

Reaction score
Austin is a gimmick guy

I think that's how we view him, in that jet sweep role where he might also receive an occasional pass or be allowed to streak downfield. It will be interesting to see if Moore can do more with him than that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

He runs like a TE now. Another year older. Had another season of injuries.

I have no idea why this place is excited about him - watch this 75 yard TD run - if it wasn't due to bad palycalling by the Bears D, this would have not been a TD. Dude is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

slick325

Reaction score
Cobb being only 28 surprises me. Seems like he has been around so long that he'd be on the other side of 30.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Incentive based deal. He knows how to find the space and sit down in the soft zones. Could be a new favorite for Dak...

I like it, Cobb was always the guy I wanted if we couldn't get Golden Tate. (Technicall third after Humphries but I never thought he was a real target).

The other factor on this is you can cut Allen Hurns in the last day of camp and you don't owe him a dime. So you can let Hurns compete for a roster spot - or serve as insurance if one of the others gets injured - without any real financial commitment. He only gets paid if he is on the team, and you have all of training camp to see if that happens.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dude can't run anymore. Stupid.
Neither can anyone else available right now.

This is where you have to overlook blemishes. Everyone is going to have them.

That is a major consequence of bargain shopping.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Neither can anyone else available right now.

This is where you have to overlook blemishes. Everyone is going to have them.

That is a major consequence of bargain shopping.

If you can no longer run in the NFL, along with always having nagging injuries, there should be no place for you on a roster. We already have Witten bringing down our offenses average 40 time.