Cowboys Top 10 All Time Offensive & Defensive Ranks

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peppersquad;2156378 said:
13 points a game? Holy crap! Different era but still.
That Defense was awesome.

Ed Jones, John Dutton, Randy White, Harvey Martin
Hollywood Henderson, Bob Breunig, DD Lewis
Dennis Thurman, Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Bennie Barnes

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
percyhoward;2156119 said:
It would if performance level were the same.

Performance level usually isn't the same, as your research showed. So 18 points on 9 possessions usually doesn't translate into 24 points on 12.

The research I did doesn't say anything about what teams that average nine possessions do when they get 12 possessions, nor does it preclude the performance level being the same -- or even better -- for some teams or, especially, in some games.

And your point still remains irrelevant. You've admitted that total points isn't always the best measure of an offense's performance. More possessions mean more opportunities for points and generally more points scored, but that doesn't always mean a better performance (as you've agreed).

All other things being equal (field position, strength of opponent, etc.) points per possession is the best measure of scoring. Or maybe you could think of ONE example when it's better to score fewer points per possession, with all other factors (except points and possessions) being equal.

Tovya

Reaction score
Actually, our defense is what has me pumped up this year for the first time in a long time. I'm more excited about the defensive side of the ball than anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tovya;2156540 said:
Actually, our defense is what has me pumped up this year for the first time in a long time. I'm more excited about the defensive side of the ball than anything.
That's pretty much why I posted this.

Tovya

Reaction score
percyhoward;2156189 said:
You know, I woulda thought so too, but...

link

:p:

Right, and if you factor in inflation rates, our first president made some serious dough back then. $25,000.00 was a LOT of money then.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2156538 said:
The research I did doesn't say anything about what teams that average nine possessions do when they get 12 possessions, nor does it preclude the performance level being the same -- or even better -- for some teams or, especially, in some games.
What could possibly happen in some games with some teams, and what usually happens are two different things. And no, technically, your research only suggested that your theory about points going up or down in proportion to possessions wasn't true.

When you say that points go up or down in proportion to number of possessions in a game, that's a radical statement. It would mean that the 60-minute time limit has no effect on how many points you can score. The way I see it, that puts the burden on you to show how it has no effect.

You could prove your theory easily--by taking the middle dozen or so teams in average number of possessions per game, then tracking their scoring patterns in games with 1-3 added (and 1-3 fewer) possessions. To save time, you could even use the same ten teams from your previous research.

Normally, if you can use facts to back up your argument, you do that. You've got the resources at hand, so what's stopping you?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile;2156536 said:
That Defense was awesome.

Ed Jones, John Dutton, Randy White, Harvey Martin
Hollywood Henderson, Bob Breunig, DD Lewis
Dennis Thurman, Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Bennie Barnes
Hos, the offense that year didn't make your list, but they led the league in scoring, and featured 3 HOFers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
percyhoward;2157638 said:
Hos, the offense that year didn't make your list, but they led the league in scoring, and featured 3 HOFers.
Yes, but they were not in the top 10 for Cowboys Offenses. These are the Cowboys top 10 Offenses and Defenses as far as points scored per game and points allowed per game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile;2158150 said:
Yes, but they were not in the top 10 for Cowboys Offenses. These are the Cowboys top 10 Offenses and Defenses as far as points scored per game and points allowed per game.
Well, yeah, but do you really think the 1983 offense (which ranked #5 in yards, #2 in scoring that year) was better than the 1978 offense that ranked #2 in yards and #1 in scoring?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
percyhoward;2158152 said:
Well, yeah, but do you really think the 1983 offense (which ranked #5 that year) was better than the 1978 offense that ranked #1?
I think we're talking around each other.

I did a ranking for Offense and Defense as far as scoring and points allowed for all 48 years of the Cowboys History.

In 1983 the Cowboys scored 479 points, which is 29.9 ppg.

In 1978 the Cowboys scored 384 points, which is 24.0 ppg.

I am not making any statements beyond those cold, hard numbers. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my opinion is. It is simply looking at the math and saying 29.9 > 24.0.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile;2158159 said:
I am not making any statements beyond those cold, hard numbers. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my opinion is. It is simply looking at the math and saying 29.9 > 24.0.
Looking at the league rankings for each year, though, 24.0 in 1978 > 29.9 in 1983. That's not opinion, it's just taking the era into account.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
percyhoward;2158176 said:
Looking at the league rankings for each year, though, 24.0 in 1978 > 29.9 in 1983. That's not opinion, it's just taking the era into account.
Again, just simply reporting the Cowboys, not any other team or where they ranked that given season. It was strictly about the numbers not how they translate.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Hostile;2158253 said:
Again, just simply reporting the Cowboys, not any other team or where they ranked that given season. It was strictly about the numbers not how they translate.
OK, for variety's sake here's my list that goes strictly by the numbers (just using different numbers)...

Top Ten Cowboys Offenses
League Ranking (points scored/yards)
'71 1st/1st
'68 1st/1st
'66 1st/1st
'78 1st/2nd
'77 2nd/1st
'69 2nd/1st
'62 2nd/2nd
'07 2nd/3rd
'92 2nd/4th
'93 2nd/4th