Twitter: Cowboys unofficial depth chart as Sept 22

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In the past it was on nfl.com: https://www.nfl.com/inactives/

You can download the Gamebook after the game. It is a pdf file with all details about the game including inactive players and snap counts.

Gamebooks! Thanks!
https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58186/DAL_Gamebook.pdf

Inactives
QB 7 B.DiNucci, DB 41 R.Robinson, LB 53 R.Smith, OL 64 A.Light, T 77 T.Smith

Interesting that Light was inactive, so that they had no backup T active. I wonder who was next up in case of injury to a T.

T and OT are the same thing...

But a competent web site wouldn't encode them with two different terms so that they split up on sorting.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I really thought Mcgovern will be further along then where is right now.Williams is below average and he cant even beat him out,its doesnt bode well for the future.
I just came from a thread saying Philbin and our OL were Golden.

You mean that thread was wrong?

Damn.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Usually yes. However, take a look at DE. Griffin is listed as backup for each. Doesn't matter a whole lot if we know I guess, but that was the one I really had questions about last week. Hopefully we won't find out (no injuries).

I'm not a fan of what I'm seeing from our alignment for the base defense. I believe we're putting Crawford, Poe and Hill out there as a Big 4-2 or 5-2 (with Lawrence at the other end and Aldon Smith at DPR), but what it did in the first game is limit Griffen to playing only close to 50 percent of the snaps. His snap count went up against Atlanta but the main reason for that is that Lawrence was dinged up.

IMO, any scheme that doesn't have Lawrence, Smith and Griffen each receiving around 80 percent of the snaps is not a good one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's because Biadasz was the game-day backup at center and guard.
McGovern started at both OG and OC in college. Biadasz has already surpassed him as the game day active player (actually they were both active for the Falcons game).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And when are we going to start talking about replacing Williams at LG?

That is absurd.

Connor Williams is a very good player.

I reviewed all of this snaps vs the Falcons. There were only 3 snaps that were even questionable.

1. Play where a pass rusher hit Dak's arm:
- There were 2 pass rushers and CW could only block 1.
- Zeke was right there waiting to block where the free pass rusher came through.
- That makes it appear that CW blocked the correct pass rusher.
- The pass rusher that Zeke partially blocked is the one that hit Dak arm.

2. Run play where the defender got into the backfield to make the tackle.
- Prior to the snap the DL shifted and the defender that CW had to block ended up align over the Center.
- It was a run to the right which meant the defender was about 3/4ths of a gap farther to the right than CW.
- It was basically an impossible block because they didn't change the blocking assignments after the DLine shifted.
- That might be something that would have bee changed when Frederick was the OC.

3. Another run play were a defender got past CW and Zeke bounced it outside.
- CW's man didn't make the tackle but he did affect the play.

In the Rams game the network showed CW getting beat by Aaron Donald.
- CW had 3 bad snaps in the Rams game, all against Aaron Donald. CW played well otherwise.
- Newsflash, all OL get beat by AD if they play enough snaps against him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gamebooks! Thanks!
https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58186/DAL_Gamebook.pdf

Inactives
QB 7 B.DiNucci, DB 41 R.Robinson, LB 53 R.Smith, OL 64 A.Light, T 77 T.Smith

Interesting that Light was inactive, so that they had no backup T active. I wonder who was next up in case of injury to a T.

But a competent web site wouldn't encode them with two different terms so that they split up on sorting.

If people making rosters on websites were smart, all OL would start with an O as in OT, OG, OC. That makes it easy to sort them together.

At least after many years some websites started categorizing draft prospects as EDGE to delineate pass rushing LBs from off-ball LBs and to group all outside pass rushers together regardless of DE or OLB.

It's still annoying that many sites list FS and SS. Just call them all Safeties and we can sort them together.

gimmesix

Reaction score
McGovern started at both OG and OC in college. Biadasz has already surpassed him as the game day active player (actually they were both active for the Falcons game).

Were they for the LA game? That's when Biadasz played. (I'm thinking McGovern may have been active against Atlanta because we didn't carry any tackle backups, since both were starting. That would mean we needed an interior backup to swing Martin or Williams out if necessary.)

I kept watching for reports of McGovern playing center in camp but I never saw any. As far as I know, the staff doesn't consider him a center right now, which would make Biadasz the game-day backup.

I'm not saying Biadasz hasn't surpassed him, only that Biadasz being active as the center/guard backup could possibly just mean McGovern isn't considered a viable center backup. McGovern being listed as the backup to Williams would seem to support that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That is absurd.

Connor Williams is a very good player.

I reviewed all of this snaps vs the Falcons. There were only 3 snaps that were even questionable.

1. Play where a pass rusher hit Dak's arm:
- There were 2 pass rushers and CW could only block 1.
- Zeke was right there waiting to block where the free pass rusher came through.
- That makes it appear that CW blocked the correct pass rusher.
- The pass rusher that Zeke partially blocked is the one that hit Dak arm.

2. Run play where the defender got into the backfield to make the tackle.
- Prior to the snap the DL shifted and the defender that CW had to block ended up align over the Center.
- It was a run to the right which meant the defender was about 3/4ths of a gap farther to the right than CW.
- It was basically an impossible block because they didn't change the blocking assignments after the DLine shifted.
- That might be something that would have bee changed when Frederick was the OC.

3. Another run play were a defender got past CW and Zeke bounced it outside.
- CW's man didn't make the tackle but he did affect the play.

In the Rams game the network showed CW getting beat by Aaron Donald.
- CW had 3 bad snaps in the Rams game, all against Aaron Donald. CW played well otherwise.
- Newsflash, all OL get beat by AD if they play enough snaps against him.

I agree with this assessment based on what I saw. I'm all for replacing Williams with a better player, but the criticism of his game as a whole based on a few plays is inaccurate.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with this assessment based on what I saw. I'm all for replacing Williams with a better player, but the criticism of his game as a whole based on a few plays is inaccurate.

He does not need to be replaced.

He is better at LG than when La'el played that position.

Fans loved it because La'el made a few highlight power blocks but he made a huge number of mistakes per game.
- La'el struggled with awareness and struggled to pick up and hand off blitzing/stunting pass rushers.
- CW is terrific at picking up and handing off pass rushers. He is also terrific had help blocking in the run game before quickly kicking out to block on the 2nd level.
- His 2nd level block is far above average.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were they for the LA game? That's when Biadasz played. (I'm thinking McGovern may have been active against Atlanta because we didn't carry any tackle backups, since both were starting. That would mean we needed an interior backup to swing Martin or Williams out if necessary.)

I kept watching for reports of McGovern playing center in camp but I never saw any. As far as I know, the staff doesn't consider him a center right now, which would make Biadasz the game-day backup.

I'm not saying Biadasz hasn't surpassed him, only that Biadasz being active as the center/guard backup could possibly just mean McGovern isn't considered a viable center backup. McGovern being listed as the backup to Williams would seem to support that.

I understand all of that and there is no way to know for certain which one would get the start if it came to that.

The bottom line is that an inactive player is generally not a significant threat to replace a starter (CW) that is going into his 3rd season starting.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He does not need to be replaced.

He is better at LG than when La'el played that position.

Fans loved it because La'el made a few highlight power blocks but he made a huge number of mistakes per game.
- La'el struggled with awareness and struggled to pick up and hand off blitzing/stunting pass rushers.
- CW is terrific at picking up and handing off pass rushers. He is also terrific had help blocking in the run game before quickly kicking out to block on the 2nd level.
- His 2nd level block is far above average.

Although I don't think Williams needs to be replaced, either, I'm always for the better player playing. If McGovern or Biadasz reaches a point where either is considered a better option, then the better option should start. (I think it's pretty clear they have not reached that point yet, and they might never,.)

I'm not actively advocating that Williams be replaced like some are. Usually the ones who do that are just focusing on those few bad plays against top-notch DTs. Donald is the best defensive lineman on the Rams, so it's understandable that he would cause the most problems for any of our linemen. Same with Jarrett for Atlanta.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I understand all of that and there is no way to know for certain which one would get the start if it came to that.

The bottom line is that an inactive player is generally not a significant threat to replace a starter (CW) that is going into his 3rd season starting.

I definitely don't think there's any indication McGovern is a threat to replace Williams. But I don't think being inactive means much for his position. Game-day backups are based on position flexibility (a tackle who can play both sides, a guard who can play center or vice versa). A player can be considered the next great guard, but not a viable option at center and thus left inactive for games.

I'm just saying that even though you know it because you seem to be dismissing McGovern just because he's inactive. There's more to being made inactive, though, than your ability to play your position. And again, I don't mean that to say he's a threat to Williams, because that definitely doesn't appear to be the case right now. I do think the hope with McGovern will be that he's ready to replace Williams when Williams becomes a free agent. That's the best use of resources if the players are close in ability.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I really thought Mcgovern will be further along then where is right now.Williams is below average and he cant even beat him out,its doesnt bode well for the future.

But are we sure its the player? I mean look at the linebacker Thomas. He actually played and looked like a NFL linebacker. He is playing good while LVE and Jaylon have struggled, although thomas started just one game.