Cowboys upgraded their top 2 positions of need

conner01

Reaction score
Let’s see them play at the NFL level before popping the champagne.
You think? Lol
More so with smith since he didn’t play guard in college
He has tremendous potential though

Reactions: ICP

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Massive upgrade at LG with Tyler Smith… that Smith & Smith left side is NO joke. The Cowboys turned around and picked up All-SEC and 3rd team All-American DE Sam Williams. I’ll be the first to say I really wish things worked out with Randy Gregory, but Sam Williams is 6’4, 265 pounds, and ran a 4.46 40 at the combine. Those are some freaky numbers. Dan Quinn could turn this kid into a household name.
I dont follow the college game, so I dont know these players.

BUT, IMO the single reason our defense turned around last year was we finally flat got after the QB(when healthy) So if we needed to replace gregory and attempted to do so in the second, was this player we took in the second close to the guy we passed on in the first that was from Floridat St? He was number 11 on Kiper's board and we passed on him to draft the Tulsa kid.

Now if this ole miss player is pretty damn close to the kid from Fl State, then its all good, but seems to me stud pass rushers dont stick around real late.

Id be interested to see the draft position of .... say the top 10 pass rushers in the league right now. How many of those 10 players were drafted outside of the 1st round? Im just speaking out loud.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Massive upgrade at LG with Tyler Smith… that Smith & Smith left side is NO joke. The Cowboys turned around and picked up All-SEC and 3rd team All-American DE Sam Williams. I’ll be the first to say I really wish things worked out with Randy Gregory, but Sam Williams is 6’4, 265 pounds, and ran a 4.46 40 at the combine. Those are some freaky numbers. Dan Quinn could turn this kid into a household name.
Lol. Neither of those picks is an upgrade over the players who held the spots last year. They are mere replacements....a body to fill a roster spot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You think? Lol

The OP is being a little immature proclaiming our first two picks as major upgrades. Maybe they will be and maybe they won’t be only time will tell.

conner01

Reaction score
The OP is being a little immature proclaiming our first two picks as major upgrades. Maybe they will be and maybe they won’t be only time will tell.
I think it’s less obvious than you normally have at 24 for sure
The potential is there just very unproven and that’s risky at 24
Love the potential though

blueblood70

Reaction score
would be awesome if Sam get 6 sacks his rookie year to tie RGs career year LOL i mean Dorance nearly had identical numbers last year yet this place says we will rue the day we let old randy and HIS 13MIL a year deal walk.. Fowlers the bridge, replaces Gregory production. i have no doubt

Sams the future oposite Tank..hopefully..

blueblood70

Reaction score
not major upgrades but for sure fills their shoes admirably..

buts the word massive was maybe a fauxpas..Poor word choice but i see all 3 picks a lot better then the FO is getting credit for because they weren't household names i mean at 24 every round its slim pickings for those names while filling needs..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think it’s less obvious than you normally have at 24 for sure
The potential is there just very unproven and that’s risky at 24
Love the potential though

This is one of the weakest drafts in years as far as big-name players especially at QB. The first round of the draft just flew by, teams weren’t milking the clock like in previous years. As soon as teams were on the clock their pick was in. Every player drafted has potential its whether their game in college will translate to the NFL.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score

I can hope Smith will be good. But Williams was being thrown around like a bag of groceries against Alabama.......Talent is Real......Until Talent meets better talent....IMO Williams will be nothing but a pass rusher his first 1 to 2 years. Guy needs to stay in the weight room for his whole rookie season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Smith should prove to be an upgrade in a couple of years unless he is unteachable. It is doubtful that Williams end up being an upgrade over Gregory.
Smith is an instant upgrade. What did Gregory ever do here? 6 sacks? Not too tough to replace.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Again, I don't know what you have said about each draft pick, hence the line of "I'm not sure if you are one of the chicken littles of the forum or not". So my apologies if you felt like I was "calling you out".

Completely agree. Just like we don't KNOW if the player is a massive upgrade yet, we also don't KNOW if they are a massive downgrade either.

So while I know people will have their opinions on how good a player will be at the NFL level, for anyone to say that <insert player name here> is a "sure fire" Boom or Bust is just ego stroking at this point of their NFL careers.

Remember, just last year, the vast, vast majority of fans H-A-T-E-D the Parsons pick. One year later, many of those same people feel like he is the MVP of the team.

On the flip side, just about everyone L-O-V-E-D the Lamb pick. Two years later, many say that he isn't even ready to be a #1 WR at the NFL level yet.

So again, I feel like we agree that we will just have to wait to see what the players do ON THE FIELD before we truly know what we got.

The only real difference is that I lean more into being "recklessly optimistic" where as you seem to leans more towards "cautiously pessimistic".

In any case your original post I quoted was great. I just wanted to point out that it's premise could be used by the "other side" as well.
:thumbup:
Yep…..and the same cry babies that said we could never count on Gregory are crying about not having him.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
What did Gregory do exactly?

I don’t understand the infatuation with this dude. He had 6 sacks last year, 5 of which came in two games.

He missed 3 games. Take those 3 games and add the 2 games where he had 5 sacks in & you end up with 5 games. Subtract the 5 games and bye week from 18 and you’re left with 12. He had 1 (one) sack in 12 games. 1!

That number might’ve been cut in half if he was the defensive focal point for the offenses we faced.

As I pointed out in another thread , his hype ( pre draft and draft - top 15 talent) didn’t match his production even when he was fit and available .

J_Allen

Reaction score
Smith should prove to be an upgrade in a couple of years unless he is unteachable. It is doubtful that Williams end up being an upgrade over Gregory.

It won't be too hard to be an upgrade over Gregory. This guy was so overrated it was a joke.

ICP

Reaction score
You think? Lol
Exactly, I wouldn't use the term 'upgraded position of need' as these guys have never played a down in the NFL. It's more like they 'addressed position of need'

lqmac1

Reaction score
As I pointed out in another thread , his hype ( pre draft and draft - top 15 talent) didn’t match his production even when he was fit and available .
Yeah we need to move on as a fanbase, we look stupid still talking about this cat. He was a middle of the road pass rusher. DA would’ve had a better season than him if he would’ve gotten the playing time over Gregory.