Cowboys vs Eagles Secondary

NotForLong

Reaction score
Bradberry is in concussion protocol and is a doubt for Thursday night against the Vikings, while Dean is expected to miss multiple weeks with a foot injury suffered on Sunday. The Eagles signed veteran LB Rashaan Evans, (He is a Name but I haven't followed his career of late. . . I do not know if this improves the Eagles or not)

Linebacker was already a question mark for the Eagles, who lost both starters to free agency, but cornerback -- and the secondary in general -- is a head ache for the Eagles

This has got me loving the Cowboys decision to pack the Roster with the Secondary. In this Pass Happy NFL. This will be key for the long season. Dan's Hybrid S/LB Role is genius and Revolutionary & McClay's ability to find the talent to fill it is astounding

Again, Thank you Dan and Will

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Other than Slay and Bradberry, their secondary is below average at best. They are weak at linebacker as you say. They put their money on the defensive front getting pressure. Putting most of the eggs in one basket is not the way to go. While their d-line can become very good, it's not as if they have the Reggie White/Jerome Brown/Mike Pitts/Clyde Simmons line from the Buddy days. Our Defense will be #1 or #2 this year. Theirs will be middle of the pack. We ride with the D to the promised land.

Sydla

Reaction score
Starting CBs are probably the same (although Bradberry is now in concussion protocol I believe). We have better safeties. We are deeper too across the board in the secondary.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Other than Slay and Bradberry, their secondary is below average at best. They are weak at linebacker as you say. They put their money on the defensive front getting pressure. Putting most of the eggs in one basket is not the way to go. While their d-line can become very good, it's not as if they have the Reggie White/Jerome Brown/Mike Pitts/Clyde Simmons line from the Buddy days. Our Defense will be #1 or #2 this year. Theirs will be middle of the pack. We ride with the D to the promised land.
Absolutely

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Eagles have a good secondary, but last year they were always playing ahead where their elite pass rushers really affected the game.
Yep. In their playoff run to the Super Bowl, their defense was never in any situation where they were under pressure to make plays, too. Both of those games were blowouts, playing Daniel Jones and Josh Johnson. Once they got to the Super Bowl, Mahomes shredded them. Dak shredded them in that Christmas Eve game. Their secondary is very meh to me. Mac Jones had his way with them week 1.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a ways to go by the time we play the Eagles.
Both teams will be differ by that time.
More in sync, and possibly improved. However both teams will have plenty of film on each other by then as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yep. In their playoff run to the Super Bowl, their defense was never in any situation where they were under pressure to make plays, too. Both of those games were blowouts, playing Daniel Jones and Josh Johnson. Once they got to the Super Bowl, Mahomes shredded them. Dak shredded them in that Christmas Eve game. Their secondary is very meh to me. Mac Jones had his way with them week 1.
Eagles have a similar defensive scheme as Fangio. They play a lot of two safety looks and allow you to convert passes underneath. The middle of the field is where they are exposed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You can never have too many. I sweet thing is we kept some talent and dumped off what didn't work out. Stacked in the backfield!

Mr_437

Reaction score
Stay tuned Mac Jones was gunning on them Eagles DBs. Maddox is good slot CB for them, but have Dallas better far and away.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Other than Slay and Bradberry, their secondary is below average at best.
Avonte Maddox is one of the better slot corners in the league. The rest of the CB’s are young but they actually played well in the preseason.

Blankenship is a solid FS. SS is a weak spot. I’ll bet Sydney Brown will be starting within a couple weeks.
LB’s are weak but that’s a position they don’t prioritize.

DanA

Reaction score
I think our freakish depth is not just going to pay dividends if we get injuries but keep our players fresher deep into the season.

We basically have 22 guys on defense capable of being regular starters on defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Avonte Maddox is one of the better slot corners in the league. The rest of the CB’s are young but they actually played well in the preseason.

Blankenship is a solid FS. SS is a weak spot. I’ll bet Sydney Brown will be starting within a couple weeks.
Maddox is pretty decent/good but Bland is likely better (and younger) in the slot.

Cowboys just have a better, deeper secondary....... at least right now. Who knows what can happen with injuries, etc.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
In today's pass happy 17 games NFL you can't just have two talented starters. Offenses are too sophisticated and will find a way to expose a secondary that doesn't have a capable squad. Teams should assume a one or two game absence from their starters in such a long season, not to mention, third and fourth receiver sets. The Cowboys will have four capable starters at CB with Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, and Lewis. There is also the new Cowboy Noah Igbinoghene, a former #1 pick. They are absolutely stacked at safety.

The Eagles are hoping that the defensive line will help make ther secondary look better. There is no doubt that the Cowboys D-line accomplishes that but their starting CB are talented by their own right with two of them being former All Pros

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Stay tuned Mac Jones was gunning on them Eagles DBs. Maddox is good slot CB for them, but have Dallas better far and away.
When a quarterback throws 54 passes in a game it’s always because his team is losing. Philly’s defense is still weak against the run, but the Pats were never in a position to exploit that. New England gets style points for their effort, though.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Been saying the eagles defense will regress as a whole. Yes they still have a top 5 Dline if not top 3, but they lost there best safety and outside of their top 3 corners, the quality of there corner depth is very suspect. Not to mention their LB group is absolutely horrible right now. It’s a pass happy league and Tight Ends play more like big receivers now. You need LBs that can cover.

Carson

Reaction score

Blankenship is underrated as hell! He’s a player

CWR

Reaction score
Eagles have a similar defensive scheme as Fangio. They play a lot of two safety looks and allow you to convert passes underneath. The middle of the field is where they are exposed.

Which should put us at an advantage running more wco type plays. KM had the offense blazing until the second half of the 2021 season. After Denver when we got hit with a ton of cover 2 looks, and our run game simultaneously went to trash, as well as we were a penalty machine. Basically we didn't have any of the ingredients to make a sustained drive. We should be in a better position this year.