Cowboys vs. Oilers 1991 HL and full game-Battle for Texas

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Atlanta at some point also may have been running that offense too.

Back then was when I used to gamble heavily. Home games meant a lot more back then. That was the year the Lions simply did not lose at home. Houston was pretty good too at home. I was surprised the Cowboys were able to keep that game close.

I wonder why no team uses the Run & Shoot anymore?
Todays OC's probably were kids back then lol.
The thing about locking into a O like that, is in playoffs , and you run into a team
that can defend it good, your gonna lose, if you got nothing else.

I think that is what happened to houston, they had nothing else to switch to in playoffs, and they always ran into a team that could defend it or outscore them.
Houston was in playoffs alot, just could not get past the champ round.

I found the 91 oilers vs broncos div round game, going to watch that too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
here are some other games and urls
dallas vs wash week 13 yt comp

Houston Oilers vs Denver Broncos 1991 AFC Div Playoffs

1991 - Wk. 10 Oilers vs. Commanders 2:40:35

Dallas Cowboys @ Indianapolis Colts, Week 6 1993 Full Game

2:02:24
Now playing
85 Bears vs LA Rams - NFC Championship (Part 1) madden somerall

2:07:57
Now playing
Washington Commanders @ Dallas Cowboys, Week 14 1996 Full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XvzjWA1QAY

14K views 8 months ago
2:18:30
Now playing could be thiesman breaks leg, looks like him.
1978 Regular Season Week 5 Dallas Cowboys (3-1) at Washington

1992 NFC Championship Game Dallas at San Francisco 1 17 full 3hrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5gWjskRnM

2:06:50
Now playing
Washington Commanders @ Dallas Cowboys, Week 17 1993 Full
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaPYrJ88RYE

oilers giants 91 game 17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z9pWx_w7qI

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah I think Atlanta did also. Bunch of short passes... but I remember us having a rough time stopping it before 92.

Was a gimmick like the wildcat.

I'm not expert on the run and shoot. I know there are people here that are more knowledgeable. I don't think it was a gimmick. Maybe for its time it was seen as one.

Simply put, it was a 4WR, single back formation. No tight ends. As a side point, that's how Barry Sanders had to have it. He was no good otherwise. He needed a spread formation.

They would run or pass based on how many men were in the box. I think the routes were called at the LOS as the QB is reading the defense. So a lot of teams started disguising defenses.

What may have been a gimmick back then, may not be one now. We see a lot of spread formations and not a lot of defenses that are any good. Mainly due to the salary cap.

Flamma

Reaction score
Todays OC's probably were kids back then lol.
The thing about locking into a O like that, is in playoffs , and you run into a team
that can defend it good, your gonna lose, if you got nothing else.

I think that is what happened to houston, they had nothing else to switch to in playoffs, and they always ran into a team that could defend it or outscore them.
Houston was in playoffs alot, just could not get past the champ round.

I found the 91 oilers vs broncos div round game, going to watch that too.

That's a great game. But no, that's not what stopped Houston. Crazy games stopped Houston, and you're about to watch one of them. Another great playoff game is Houston VS the Chiefs, I think it was '92. Absolutely amazing game.

Very few teams were able to stop Houston. What basically stopped Houston was the strict adherence to the rules. It was hard for them to run clock. Also their D screwed the pooch on more than one occasion.

They should have beaten Denver. They should have beaten the Chiefs. They should have beaten Buffalo. The bizarre events that took place in all three games is fascinating.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm not expert on the run and shoot. I know there are people here that are more knowledgeable. I don't think it was a gimmick. Maybe for its time it was seen as one.

Simply put, it was a 4WR, single back formation. No tight ends. As a side point, that's how Barry Sanders had to have it. He was no good otherwise. He needed a spread formation.

They would run or pass based on how many men were in the box. I think the routes were called at the LOS as the QB is reading the defense. So a lot of teams started disguising defenses.

What may have been a gimmick back then, may not be one now. We see a lot of spread formations and not a lot of defenses that are any good. Mainly due to the salary cap.
Semantics. Maybe I used the wrong word.

Surely spread formations are used commonly now. I'd call the wildcat a gimmick but you do see teams running it here and there still, but only for a play, never an entire series, as they once did.

The run and shoot was a little different with what the QB was doing. You'd see things like a three step drop, but on an odd angle, then stop suddenly and throw. Also the shotgun wasn't a huge part of it.

It's not similar to what you see today. Theres no one that runs anything that looks remotely like it.

But I'm willing to change the word if it bugs ya lol!

Edit....should probably have added that it probably was quite influential in the game we see today.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I remember the date without looking it up. November 10th. Grrrrr...

Took me years to get over that loss and I'm not exaggerating. Several years after the Super Bowls in fact.

We weren't quite there yet and beating that run and shoot gimmick (which we could NOT do at all) and that Oilers team would have been huge. I wanted it badly (the difference between now and then? The players wanted it badly also lol).

I was dating someone new at that point and I remember being out with her afterward and being completely depressed. Could neither shake it or fake it.

That same scheme was the downfall to that season a couple of months later in Detroit. Guys like Manny Hendrix, Issac Holt, Ray Horton and Jack Del Rio just couldn't defend it.

Drafted Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson among others in the next draft and away we go....

Still really stung that day and I remember it all too well.
That sucks. Out on a new date but feeling so bummed out. Did you at least get lucky that night to help cheer you up a little?
;):cool::D

Flamma

Reaction score
Semantics. Maybe I used the wrong word.

Surely spread formations are used commonly now. I'd call the wildcat a gimmick but you do see teams running it here and there still, but only for a play, never an entire series, as they once did.

The run and shoot was a little different with what the QB was doing. You'd see things like a three step drop, but on an odd angle, then stop suddenly and throw. Also the shotgun wasn't a huge part of it.

It's not similar to what you see today. Theres no one that runs anything that looks remotely like it.

But I'm willing to change the word if it bugs ya lol!

Yes, the QB would have certain step drops. I forgot about that. But a lot of teams run 4WR single set back sets. Under center means nothing. Years ago disguising whether or not you were passing or running the ball was an actual thing. Today, not so much.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So detroit ran that offense too?
did not know that.
but also in this game , our offense was not as good as usual, they said houston def was good.
I am in 3rd qrt, but emmitt has not been a factor, troy has been off on passes, and they cant get in endzone.
This is why I get pissed when Troy talks smack against Dak about accuracy. Troy shouldn't talk.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, the QB would have certain step drops. I forgot about that. But a lot of teams run 4WR single set back sets. Under center means nothing. Years ago disguising whether or not you were passing or running the ball was an actual thing. Today, not so much.
Agreed. Huge mistake nowadays. Should go back to how it was and not make it so easy to opposing Defenses. It would definitely help our Offense, especially against tougher teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed. Huge mistake nowadays. Should go back to how it was and not make it so easy to opposing Defenses. It would definitely help our Offense, especially against tougher teams.

Just think of the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys. They never ran a single play from shotgun. Even at that time that was unheard of. Every team had shotgun. But the only way you knew if the Cowboys were running or passing was down and distance. Because every play was under center.

PS. I mean '92 - '95.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I wonder why the Titans didn't just allow the Houston Texans to get back the Oilers name and color scheme. The Titans have gone primary dark blue and gray type scheme for the most part. They have some of the old Oilers blue in their scheme but it's not even close to the same.
The Houston Texans would look dope if their uniforms looked like this...

Throwback to the old Oilers colors...
Screenshot-20220409-060048-Facebook.jpg

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep I don't disagree and I think we are on the same page. Like I suggested....semantics.

Overall it just looked very different and definitely isn't used today, not even for a single play. Is today's game a certain version of that, yep probably. At the very least greatly influenced by it.

It was one of those things that were effective until DCs figured it out, then not so much.

What I know for sure is the 1991 Cowboys had a tough time defending it, the secondary was remade the following offseason.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep I don't disagree and I think we are on the same page. Like I suggested....semantics.

Overall it just looked very different and definitely isn't used today, not even for a single play. Is today's game a certain version of that, yep probably. At the very least greatly influenced by it.

It was one of those things that were effective until DCs figured it out, then not so much.

What I know for sure is the 1991 Cowboys had a tough time defending it, the secondary was remade the following offseason.

Yeah Dallas did have a hard time defending it. In Detroit. Dallas was a different team at home. So was Detroit. In a lot of games I used to bet big money solely based on who was home. Back in the late 80s you'd bet Cinci/Oilers games based on who was home. They'd blow eachother out at home. You can't do that today.

Dallas didn't lose in 1991 because they couldn't stop the Lions. Dallas offense wasn't that good. They barely beat the Bears. That team sucked. We just weren't a very good team. Once they got behind it was a domino effect.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah Dallas did have a hard time defending it. In Detroit. Dallas was a different team at home. So was Detroit. In a lot of games I used to bet big money solely based on who was home. Back in the late 80s you'd bet Cinci/Oilers games based on who was home. They'd blow eachother out at home. You can't do that today.

Dallas didn't lose in 1991 because they couldn't stop the Lions. Dallas offense wasn't that good. They barely beat the Bears. That team sucked. We just weren't a very good team. Once they got behind it was a domino effect.
At least the arrow was undisputably pointing upward at that point.

I actually drove 10 hours each way from NJ to witness that debacle playoff game in Detroit.

But yeah that Lions team that destroyed us went to Washington and folded, a team we had beaten that November. It all worked out. Can't really complain. NOW we can lol.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. So many darts from Aikman and Moon from snaps taken under center w/o play action. So different than today’s game as others have discussed above. Moon was so good

1992 Draft of defensive help;
CB Kevin Smith
LB Robert Jones
S Darren Woodson

And I believe DT Chad Hennings became eligible in 1992.