Video: Cowboys vs. Saints Chris Simms Unbuttoned

Number1

Reaction score
The takeaway is the Saints changed their game.

Game Review: Dallas Cowboys vs. New Orleans Saints, NFL Week 4 | Chris Simms Unbuttoned | NBC Sports

several poor assumptions and a lot of missed issues in there

for example, the biggest issue of the passing game was communication - crowd noise limited pre snap adjustments
they were unprepared

also the Boys didn't even try to go deep - likely the result of too many options that broke off deep vs the cover 2
notice the only big plays were deep middle to TEs

another way to break down a cover 2 is by throwing slants, that doesn't work well with Coop because his slant sucks
it would be a very different game if they'd targeted slants for real control XWRs, like Smith or Wilson, or Gallup

most important, the Boys faced a basic cover 2 most of the day, which is the classic defense of a power running team with deep speed - they have to throw X and Y slants and TE dumps to beat it - rolling out w/ multiple deep targets too

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Because you can barely hear in that big tin can of a stadium. You can't call signals. It's harder to do in those circumstances.

Many teams simplify things like that when they go into places like that.
What does crowd noise have to do with pre-snap motion? You call for motion with your leg or arm not verbal.
Half the fans were cowboy fans anyway.

JGRXXN

Reaction score
This game was a combination of both. Saints front 4 bully our OL. Run game didn't work because of that. With that in mind cut your playbook in half to a third. Two costly fumbles which may have yielded some points but who knows. Drop passes didn't help this team at all. More than likely Moore had to dumb out the playbook due to noise. This team could've still won and that game and probably could've drop a 30 burger on the Saints. It's hard to go up there and beat the Saints when they ready to play. Also add in the fact we beat the Saints twice in a row so far.

I agree... it just amazed me how everyone automatically thought the Saints were stacking the box so Dak could beat when it was actually the other way around... Now that we all know what they really did everyone of his haters are quite... they just don't like Dak as a person smh

gmoney112

Reaction score
several poor assumptions and a lot of missed issues in there

for example, the biggest issue of the passing game was communication - crowd noise limited pre snap adjustments
they were unprepared

also the Boys didn't even try to go deep - likely the result of too many options that broke off deep vs the cover 2
notice the only big plays were deep middle to TEs

another way to break down a cover 2 is by throwing slants, that doesn't work well with Coop because his slant sucks
it would be a very different game if they'd targeted slants for real control XWRs, like Smith or Wilson, or Gallup

most important, the Boys faced a basic cover 2 most of the day, which is the classic defense of a power running team with deep speed - they have to throw X and Y slants and TE dumps to beat it - rolling out w/ multiple deep targets too

I didn't watch the specific coverages enough to really see how they were playing Cover 2. But, the most popular "cover 2 beater" routes also are usually outbreaking routes toward the boundary between the S and CB zones, like 10-15 yards or so downfield.

That's what I'm most surprised at, we didn't really do that much. Tight groupings and bunches with TE, you flood zones and have guys breaking toward the sideline at these depths, usually have a pretty good shot. Like McVay with Goff, will usually destroy most Cover 2's, because that's basically how he runs most of his offense.

I wasn't really paying attention to how the Saints played it, but I think if we played them again, we'd be a lot more effective against it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Makes sense. Saints had two safeties back so play action wouldn’t be very effective.

I would like, just once, to hear our staff threw a curveball and changes some things up before the game that the other team wasn’t ready for.

Instead of the other way around. Which is a theme at this point.

I think it depends on what area of the field you are targeting. I mean, you can't cover everything so something has to give. You run play action, it's not only to entice a Safety, it's also to make a LB take a pause cause that one second is often the difference between getting there and getting beat.

Number1

Reaction score
I didn't watch the specific coverages enough to really see how they were playing Cover 2. But, the most popular "cover 2 beater" routes also are usually outbreaking routes toward the boundary between the S and CB zones, like 10-15 yards or so downfield.

That's what I'm most surprised at, we didn't really do that much.

bingo

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Could see this watching the game live. Our running game could not get it done vs 7 man fronts. Story of the game. The 2-3 yd gains was not going to force them out of this defensive alignment.

erod

Reaction score
What does crowd noise have to do with pre-snap motion? You call for motion with your leg or arm not verbal.
Half the fans were cowboy fans anyway.

First, because a lot of multiple motion is done verbally. Also, because you need everyone looking at the ball at the snap when it's that loud.

Dallas motioned some, but not nearly add much.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Saints should have saved that for the Playoffs now we now they are going to go cover two when Dak audibles etc... now K Moore can scheme against that

Bingo.

I doubt the cowboys are fooled by this twice.

This is the point that fellow fans are failing to see. There is a time and place for everything, and then it isnt.

JBond

Reaction score
Simms' breakdown goes along with what I saw, primarily a) the Saints defensive front four contained Dallas' run game and b) the Saints secondary remained in zone mostly. The passing attack barely attempted anything intermediate or deep and Simms quantified the reason well.

It would be a logical assumption the Cowboys practiced exclusively to recognize Saints' man coverage. Hopefully, that will not re-occur as the season progresses since it appears the offense must 'see' what the offense preps for or it is becomes stuck in neutral.

Now, there is little reason to think the coaching staff did not recognize the Saints squatting in an atypical defensive coverage for all four quarters. The offense has practiced for zone coverage in the past. The question becomes either "Were Garrett and Moore confident enough not to get out of the offense's prepped gameplan, expected the defense to keep the Saints' offense bottled up, and thought they could win a close game even though the offense's opportunities to score would be extremely limited due to the Saints' zone coverage"?

OR

"Were Garrett and Moore not confident enough to ditch the gameplan designed to beat man coverage and did not believe the offense would execute well IF the adjustments were made for zone coverage?"

If it were the former, it is a sure sign that linear thinking remains a Cowboys coaching trait. There should always be enough prep time devoted to preparing for what an opposing defense does NOT normally show in-game. If it is the latter, it does reflect coaching's lack of confidence in its personnel in executing what has not been primarily taught in practice in the week leading up to the game.

The latter is a troubling thought since it will give defensive coordinators a clear blueprint for neutering Dallas' offense. They can confidently switch to zone mainly if their defensive secondary strength is man coverage, knowing they can easily switch back to their base coverage scheme if Dallas' offense beats zone. They can prep heavy in pre-snap disguise if their secondary's strength is zone coverage. The next few games should give some indication how or if Garrett, Moore and the offense can adjust for this new defensive curveball.
Several folks have mentioned or alluded to Dak's ability/inability to read defenses and to adjust. I hope he continues to learn, grow and adapt.

GORICO

Reaction score
Dak is who he is, an above average NFL who needs to be surrounded by top 10 NFL talent at all key positions to have a realistic chance at success

He is great when the going is good but cannot be a difference maker when Zeke and Cooper get shut down

He is not in the same QB zip code as Wilson or Rodgers or Brady or Mahomes

Paying him 30 + million will be a big mistake
Dak is not on the level of those 4 QB's you mentioned...and he does need a real good supporting cast to succeed....i have seen improvement in his mechanics and field vision..i hope he bounces back against pack and rogers

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Dak is who he is, an above average NFL who needs to be surrounded by top 10 NFL talent at all key positions to have a realistic chance at success

He is great when the going is good but cannot be a difference maker when Zeke and Cooper get shut down

He is not in the same QB zip code as Wilson or Rodgers or Brady or Mahomes

Paying him 30 + million will be a big mistake
Fail. Unbelievable......

Number1

Reaction score
cannot agree more

the biggest reason for drafting Dak was his ability to extend plays and make great throws on the move

he was brought in to develop as a play action deep QB
let him do what he does best

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The Saints didn't do anything that any other team will marvel at. Of course every team will want to stop Zeke. But you take away Witten's fumble, Zeke's fumble that wasn't, and an terrible offensive PI call on Cooper, and I think we win that game.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Makes sense. Saints had two safeties back so play action wouldn’t be very effective.

I would like, just once, to hear our staff threw a curveball and changes some things up before the game that the other team wasn’t ready for.

Instead of the other way around. Which is a theme at this point.
Jacksonville last year. Saints game last year. Seattle in playoffs last year. Giants week one this year.