Twitter: Cowboys will not tender LB Francis Bernard or T Mitch Hyatt

John813

Reaction score
Mitch seems like he can't stay healthy. Dunno if he ever had a future in the NFL but the injuries probably robbed him of any chance.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wonder if they will also look to bring those two players back at a lesser cost as well?

Both Hyatt and Bernard are exclusive rights free agents. We could have kept them for league minimum. Can't get cheaper than that. I assume that declining that option is waving our rights to them and waving them bye bye.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/7/13/20692788/salary-cap-nuggets-no-11-free-agency-erfa-rfa-ufa
EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT (ERFA)
  • An exclusive rights free agent (ERFA) is any NFL veteran [who reaches the end of his contract] with less than three accrued seasons. A rookie (first year player), second, and third year player each fall into this category.
  • A player with exclusive rights status may only sign a contract with their original team, if the original team placed the minimum salary tender, typically during the first days following the completion of the Super Bowl through the start of the new league year (mid-March).
  • Any player who receives a team’s exclusive rights minimum salary tender will not be able to negotiate with another team, and the player must only re-sign with his original team.
  • If the minimum salary tender is not given or the tender has been withdrawn by the original team to a player with less than three accrued seasons, that player will then be completely free to sign with any team without any penalty or any restrictions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both Hyatt and Bernard are exclusive rights free agents. We could have kept them for league minimum. Can't get cheaper than that. I assume that declining that option is waving our rights to them and waving them bye bye.

I thought the number was higher than that. It was $2.4 million for Gifford for some reason.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I thought the number was higher than that. It was $2.4 million for Gifford for some reason.

He's RFA and an UDFA. I thought the RFA tender for an UDFA simply set the pick you'd get if someone outbid you. I thought you *chose* the level, not that it is fixed.

It's fixed at a floor at least for guys you drafted who don't yet have enough accrued seasons to be an UFA.

I think. Things may have changed. It doesn't seem right that he is talking like there is a specific tender set for Gifford above league minimum.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am incensed!!! They're letting players walk that I didn't even know were on the team now???

This reminds me of when Booger said coaches were going to get really uncomfortable at Valley Ranch. Then fired a guy who's own family didn't know he had a job with the Cowboys,

Carson

Reaction score
Seems to be the par for most teams.

Rams did not tender Troy Reeder and the dude started multiple games and had 90 and 81 tackles the last two seasons.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's RFA and an UDFA. I thought the RFA tender for an UDFA simply set the pick you'd get if someone outbid you. I thought you *chose* the level, not that it is fixed.

It's fixed at a floor at least for guys you drafted who don't yet have enough accrued seasons to be an UFA.

I think. Things may have changed. It doesn't seem right that he is talking like there is a specific tender set for Gifford above league minimum.

It shocked me seeing that number for Gifford too.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think at one point, Hyatt was the highest paid rookie FA in the NFL when we signed him. Fought multiple teams to get him when he was coming out of Clemson.

Never once saw the field.