Twitter: Cowboys Working Out More Kickers Today

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So he's a friend to a mediocre punter and a good but aging long snapper. The Cowboys are supposed to keep a guy who misses half his FG attempts to keep these two guys happy? Its a meritocracy, dude. If your friend could kick FGs he wouldn't be leaving.

Country club mentality. I think Garrett promotes it with his philosophy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes, with only 3 of 16 games left in the regular season, I would stay the course with Maher. If a change was going to be made at that position, it should have been made much earlier in the season.

I'm for getting rid of a kicker who can't even make 70 percent of his field goals as quickly as you can find a replacement, even if it's not an ideal replacement.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are just making excuses for the FO. Nixing Maher and adding Forbath is a nonsense move. It will end up costing us another game.
that
That's completely laughable. There is no excuse that needs to be made for replacing a kicker that is at or near the least accurate in the entire NFL. You are completely ignoring facts and going on emotion.

To say that having a guy that is more able to kick the rare 60+ yarder is more valuable than a guy who is notably better at kicking the much more frequent 30-50 yarders is like saying a QB who can throw a 70 yard hail mary is more valuable than a QB who can make the down after down plays needed to score. But it's a false premise, because the abilty to win hinges dramatically more on the ability to make the plays teams have to make and are expected to make than on the rare play.

Let go of the emotion a minute and consider the facts. There have been something like 15 60+ yard kicks in the entire history of the NFL, but every kicker has close to double that number every year they play that are under 60 yards. You are arguing that the 1-5% of 60 yard attempts are more important than the 95-99% of kicks at shorter distances.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
I don’t get it. I guess they just had to fire him to have a scapegoat. If you were replacing him with someone better, it would be one thing. The new guy is not any better and is probably worst.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, with only 3 of 16 games left in the regular season, I would stay the course with Maher. If a change was going to be made at that position, it should have been made much earlier in the season.
It probably should have been earlier, but if it was justified then, it was still justified now. He has only made 1 of his last 4.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I simply can’t believe any one person other than the guys mom want Maher to stay with the Cowboys.

I’m sure his dad and dog even realize it’s time to go.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
that
That's completely laughable. There is no excuse that needs to be made for replacing a kicker that is at or near the least accurate in the entire NFL. You are completely ignoring facts and going on emotion.

To say that having a guy that is more able to kick the rare 60+ yarder is more valuable than a guy who is notably better at kicking the much more frequent 30-50 yarders is like saying a QB who can throw a 70 yard hail mary is more valuable than a QB who can make the down after down plays needed to score. But it's a false premise, because the abilty to win hinges dramatically more on the ability to make the plays teams have to make and are expected to make than on the rare play.

Let go of the emotion a minute and consider the facts. There have been something like 15 60+ yard kicks in the entire history of the NFL, but every kicker has close to double that number every year they play that are under 60 yards. You are arguing that the 1-5% of 60 yard attempts are more important than the 95-99% of kicks at shorter distances.

It probably should have been earlier, but if it was justified then, it was still justified now. He has only made 1 of his last 4.

We've exchanged far too many words over the employment of kickers, IMO. We disagree. Move on!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've exchanged far too many words over the employment of kickers, IMO. We disagree. Move on!
I agree with that, but will still point out I've contributed statistics, not just emotion, to the discussion.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I simply can’t believe any one person other than the guys mom want Maher to stay with the Cowboys.

3hqxpd.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree with that, but will still point out I've contributed statistics, not just emotion, to the discussion.
Stats lie all the time. Look t the Cowboys' #1 ranked offense to figure this out. 4000-yard passer, 1000 yard receiver, 1000 yard RB, in just 13 weeks but are they any good?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats lie all the time. Look the Cowboys' #1 ranked offense to figure this out. 4000-yard passer, 1000 yard receiver, 1000 yard RB, in just 13 weeks but are they any good?

Not remotely the same. Those are volume stats, not efficiency or effectiveness. A QB can throw for 300 yards but not score a point, so it is open to interpretation as to how well he played.

A kicker either makes it or misses it, and that does speak directly to efficiency and effectiveness. He isn't judged by kicking a cumulative 600 yards of distance over the season, he is judge by either being accurate or not. No interpretation involved.

And, again, by missing from 50+ yards half the time, half his attempts from that range only result in giving the opponent great field position. And by missing 80% of his kicks from 40-49 yards he dropped himself into the bottom of the barrel of NFL kickers.

Now, let's look at your supporting stats, or stat really. And that's that he is capable of kicking a FG from a distance that has only been made something like 15 times in the 100 year history of the NFL. That's like picking a QB for having thrown 2 long hail Mary's in his career instead of picking a QB who actually sustains drives and scores points. The desperation plays aren't what lead to consistent production.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I think we're reading too much into this.

It's clear Maher had a case of the yips. His confidence was shot. If the Cowboys are to have any chance of making a run, they need a kicker whose mind is in the right place.

Kai Forbath may or may not be an upgrade, but he's coming in here with a clean slate. "Fun" fact: after hitting 15 of his first 16 career field goals, Maher made just 34 of his last 50 attempts (68 percent).

conner01

Reaction score
Blaming the kicker for our problems is just dumb. How many games have we lost by 3 points or less? 2 is what I count, granted, I would much rather me 8-5 right now. Replacing Maher was a move made by the FO to look like they were doing something without really doing anything. It's a Band-Aid on a gapping wound.
It’s a start

conner01

Reaction score
Not remotely the same. Those are volume stats, not efficiency or effectiveness. A QB can throw for 300 yards but not score a point, so it is open to interpretation as to how well he played.

A kicker either makes it or misses it, and that does speak directly to efficiency and effectiveness. He isn't judged by kicking a cumulative 600 yards of distance over the season, he is judge by either being accurate or not. No interpretation involved.

And, again, by missing from 50+ yards half the time, half his attempts from that range only result in giving the opponent great field position. And by missing 80% of his kicks from 40-49 yards he dropped himself into the bottom of the barrel of NFL kickers.

Now, let's look at your supporting stats, or stat really. And that's that he is capable of kicking a FG from a distance that has only been made something like 15 times in the 100 year history of the NFL. That's like picking a QB for having thrown 2 long hail Mary's in his career instead of picking a QB who actually sustains drives and scores points. The desperation plays aren't what lead to consistent production.
I expect about half over 50
I expect about 80% under 50
His problem is he’s not good at what should be almost automatic kicks
He’s better over 60 than anywhere else which is just crazy to me
I don’t know anything about kicking but leg strength aside the closer you are the easier a kick should be because there is more room for error
At 60 you have to be dead on

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Bottom line... this kicker talk is wasting too much of my time.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Firing Garrett in itself is really nothing
But it’s a start like moving on from a bad player
You got to start somewhere
LOL, wrong again. Firing Garrett would be significant but what matters most is who replaces him. That won't happen until this season is concluded.

conner01

Reaction score
LOL, wrong again. Firing Garrett would be significant but what matters most is who replaces him. That won't happen until this season is concluded.
I agree the replacement is really the key
Then letting him do his job