Video: Cowherd - Cowboys future is confusing

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is a must watch video. I wasn’t going to make a thread but Colin makes some great points when it comes to Dak.

Compares him to Tebow and how the Broncos used to win.

Saying Dallas has a lot of big money players that will need to paid and Daks salary could make us lose guys that contribute to winning.

Says that Elway didn’t fall for Tebow and the Cowboys shouldn’t fall for Dak.

It’s a great video and brings up some good talking points.

More on how Daks completion percentage isn’t something to brag about.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Good video.
The next Tebow, Mark Sanchez, & Blake Bortles.
Cowherd is spot-on, & objectively analyzes the situation.

I’ve been saying all year Dallas has one of the best rosters in football but the passing game holds us back.

If we could throw the football then you could just go ahead and give us the Lombardi but our pass offense is just not dependable.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Tebow was terrible. He had a career completion percentage of 47.9% compared to Dak's 65.7%. Lazy reporting to try and make a point. Tebow wasn't half the NFL QB that Dak is. Tebow should have never been an NFL QB and Dak would probably rank as an average NFL QB at this point in his career. Tebow should have been an NFL TE. How soon people forget that Dak was actually in the running for MVP in 2016.

Also, I don't think we are going to find another Peyton Manning on the street to replace Dak Prescott so where does Cowherd suggest we find our next QB? Ask Elway if he wished he would have drafted Prescott instead of Lynch in 2016.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Really all depends on the contract that they give Dak. He's a good QB for the right price. The priorities really should be Lawrence, Byron Jones, and getting a safety. If this defense can stay together and play like that consistently, we could be the 2015 Broncos

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'll watch the video in a bit but a few thoughts before I do.

1) Dak is similar to Tebow in some respects, but is overall much more efficient. The comparison for me really ends there. Tebow couldn't have dreamed of completing 18 straight or having a 66-percent completion percentage for a season. He was a guy that would stink for three quarters and shine in the fourth. That really hasn't been Dak's track record at all. His issue in my opinion is he's too up and down during the 60-minute course of the game.

2) This team is, as it was in the 90s, built on efficiency at the QB position. We need a Troy. A 2014 Romo. A 2016 Dak, even. We don't want, or need, a QB slinging it 40 times. No different than with Troy, which is why so many non-Cowboy fans felt he was overrated because he lacked the Favre/Elway stats. Didn't matter. It's counter to what we are trying to do offensively and defensively as a smash-mouth team. We need a guy that can shine in YPA, QB Rating and Completion %. Dak has shown he actually has some of the making to be that guy. He MUST get better with his ball protection (fumbles), pocket awareness and can't miss the gimme TDs as he has in each of the last two weeks. Still ... with those warts ... his YPA, QB Rating and Completion % during this winning streak have been good.

3) I do think a cheap Dak is a winning solution for this franchise. I always worry that an expensive Dak will set us back. I look at Seattle and see a lot of financial similarities and what the Russell Wilson contract has done to that franchise.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’ve been saying all year Dallas has one of the best rosters in football but the passing game holds us back.

If we could throw the football then you could just go ahead and give us the Lombardi but our pass offense is just not dependable.
a QB would would make this team elite and superbowl contender like the 90s team...unfortunately there aren't many options in FA and we don't have first round pick to even consider a rookie....maybe trade dak for Luck :0)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Tebow was terrible. He had a career completion percentage of 47.9% compared to Dak's 65.7%. Lazy reporting to try and make a point. Tebow wasn't half the NFL QB that Dak is. Tebow should have never been an NFL QB and Dak would probably rank as an average NFL QB at this point in his career. Tebow should have been an NFL TE. How soon people forget that Dak was actually in the running for MVP in 2016.

Also, I don't think we are going to find another Peyton Manning on the street to replace Dak Prescott so where does Cowherd suggest we find our next QB? Ask Elway if he wished he would have drafted Prescott instead of Lynch in 2016.
agreed. tebow was horrible. just plain horrible. Dak is middle of the pack......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'll watch the video in a bit but a few thoughts before I do.

1) Dak is similar to Tebow in some respects, but is overall much more efficient. The comparison for me really ends there. Tebow couldn't have dreamed of completing 18 straight or having a 66-percent completion percentage for a season. He was a guy that would stink for three quarters and shine in the fourth. That really hasn't been Dak's track record at all. His issue in my opinion is he's too up and down during the 60-minute course of the game.

2) This team is, as it was in the 90s, built on efficiency at the QB position. We need a Troy. A 2014 Romo. A 2016 Dak, even. We don't want, or need, a QB slinging it 40 times. No different than with Troy, which is why so many non-Cowboy fans felt he was overrated because he lacked the Favre/Elway stats. Didn't matter. It's counter to what we are trying to do offensively and defensively as a smash-mouth team. We need a guy that can shine in YPA, QB Rating and Completion %. Dak has shown he actually has some of the making to be that guy. He MUST get better with his ball protection (fumbles), pocket awareness and can't miss the gimme TDs as he has in each of the last two weeks. Still ... with those warts ... his YPA, QB Rating and Completion % during this winning streak have been good.

3) I do think a cheap Dak is a winning solution for this franchise. I always worry that an expensive Dak will set us back. I look at Seattle and see a lot of financial similarities and what the Russell Wilson contract has done to that franchise.

I posted another video below the top video with Colin addressing the completion percentage.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There is no reason to fall for anything. Dak is still under contract next season. We can see what he does over that period and go from there.

LOL...:laugh:

Not happening. This situation could be the Le'veon Bell situation all over. And Dak isn't worth that trouble. I can already see the hold out coming.:rolleyes:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
a QB would would make this team elite and superbowl contender like the 90s team...unfortunately there aren't many options in FA and we don't have first round pick to even consider a rookie....maybe trade dak for Luck :0)

Another guy who has low stock right that I think is still a good player but needs out is Derek Carr and Gruden might be willing to let him go.

Stafford could be another but even though I recognize his arm talent I just don’t view him as a championship QB.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Sounds crazy I know, but if Flacco become available this off season, I would go for him if the numbers are good.

I am afraid Dak is gonna hold this team back in this crucial window where all contracts seem to allow us to keep them all

:cool: