Video: Cowherd: Is giving Dak a big contract a huge mistake?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Interesting how the best teams have cheap QBs or elite QBs taking less money.

I’ll throw this one in here too about Cooper and the route running. My problem with the Cooper trade was not the player but My lack of confidence in the Playcaller and QB to get him the ball.

Praxit

Reaction score
..all of a sudden this guy has taken great interest in the cowboys. WHy?? You have 31 other teams to talk about. Ratings=$$$

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
..all of sudden this guy has take great interest in the cowboys. WHy?? You have 31 other teams to talk about. Ratings=$$$

All these shows do that.

The best thing that could happen for the NFL and all of these shows is the Cowboys winning tomorrow night.

reddyuta

Reaction score
You have to change the coaching staff, and see what he does in the 4th year of the contract. After that, transition tag him and make a decision.

we need to run a eagles offense for Dak,a lot more RPO.

Verdict

Reaction score
I know Dak can be very frustrating, but I have a feeling that if we had someone like Blake Bortles playing in place of Dak that you guys would lose your minds.

Dak is a top 15 QB. Let that sink in. That means that 15 other teams would love to have him. It also means that there are not enough good QBs to go around and there certainly aren't many backups that can even "place hold" for a game or two.

Eventuallly, teams are going to go with a totally different kind of backup instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and get guys who can pass a little but can run the hell out of the ball.

You could keep two of those types on the roster and if one went down it would be a "next man up approach" at QB and you would keep running it. There are plenty of those guys around.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I know Dak can be very frustrating, but I have a feeling that if we had someone like Blake Bortles playing in place of Dak that you guys would lose your minds.

Dak is a top 15 QB. Let that sink in. That means that 15 other teams would love to have him. It also means that there are not enough good QBs to go around and there certainly aren't many backups that can even "place hold" for a game or two.

Eventuallly, teams are going to go with a totally different kind of backup instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and get guys who can pass a little but can run the hell out of the ball.

You could keep two of those types on the roster and if one went down it would be a "next man up approach" at QB and you would keep running it. There are plenty of those guys around.
Good than maybe we can trade him and get a first for him so we can get Tau from Bama in the 2020 draft if he comes out, lol.

links18

Reaction score

You wont beat teams with real QBs doing that very often. When Brees and Brady retire, there will still be Goff and Mahomes.

Verdict

Reaction score
You wont beat teams with real QBs doing that very often. When Brees and Brady retire, there will still be Goff and Mahomes.

You won't beat teams very often with a horrible backup QB either. So if a running QB could get a win because of a matchup issue you get on that.

CashMan

Reaction score

In no particular order:

Brees
Ryan
Brady
Newton
Trubisky
Wilson
Roethlisberger
Cousins
Goff
Rivers
Mahomes
Luck
Watson
Rodgers
Stafford
Mayfield

At best, Dak is 17th best without knows a what a couple rookie QBs are.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score

Dak is a top 15 QB. Let that sink in. That means that 15 other teams would love to have him.

Does it really mean that 15 teams would “LOVE” to have Dak? That’s your opinion and mine is that I doubt it. Just because Dak is rated higher doesn’t mean that they want him. I would bet that only 5 teams “might” want him and the other 10 definitely wants better then what they have and Dak.

Yes there is a QB quality problem in the NFL where there is a huge drop off. We have a major decision to ride with him and hope he gets better or build a team around him so he can just be the bus driver but when was the last time a bus driver QB won a SB.

Or we can just blow it up and hope that we are bad enough in a few years to draft top 5. But that’s not going to happen because Jerry needs to sell tickets. Could you imagine Jerry blowing things up like Gruden is.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Interesting how the best teams have cheap QBs or elite QBs taking less money.

I’ll throw this one in here too about Cooper and the route running. My problem with the Cooper trade was not the player but My lack of confidence in the Playcaller and QB to get him the ball.

I rarely watch or listen to opinion pieces but I listened to that one and it makes sense Catch. No question that Brady has given the Patriots a huge break with his contracts. Brees and Ben as well. Now that hasn't always helped because the Saints have disappeared sometimes over the course of Brees career but the Pats and Steelers always seem to be in the hunt. Interesting piece and I actually like Cowherd. As far as Cooper is concerned, I still have questions about his worth the same as I questioned Dez's worth. He has opened things up for sure. I hope it's not a huge deal when he gets extended.

Dak? IMO, he's the type of player that will accept a bit less to keep the pieces around him. We'll see

Creeper

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay Dak elite QB money. I wouldn't have paid Romo the money Jerry gave him either. Overpaying players and especially QBs because the money is so high hurts the whole team. Dak is a mediocre QB with some unique skills. Unfortunately, throwing is not one of them. I get that Dak may develop into a better QB because he does work hard and he does want to get better. But I would not pay a guy based on what I want him to be. He has to show me he can be that guy first. To me, Dak has not demonstrated he will ever be an elite pocket passer, at least not yet. Considering that paying Dak a lot of money may mean having to let another star go, say a guy like Tank Lawrence or Zack Martin, I would hold off giving Dak a big contract right now.

Having said that, Cowherd is a clueless clown.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Brees
Ryan
Brady
Newton
Trubisky
Wilson
Roethlisberger
Cousins
Goff
Rivers
Mahomes
Luck
Watson
Rodgers
Stafford
Mayfield

At best, Dak is 17th best without knows a what a couple rookie QBs are.
Brady
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Brees

Those are the top 5 quarterbacks this season and proably going forward

Sydla

Reaction score
It's inevitable that a contract for him is coming down the pike. The Jones family is clearly all in on this guy.

My only hope and prayer is that it gives the Cowboys the chance to opt out in 2 seasons or so with minimal pain.