Recap: Cowlishaw With Brad Biggs Chi Trib On Melton

CashMan

Reaction score
Wonder what he thoughts nationally are for the Bears DL after losing these players. ESPN and NFLN act as if Dallas is in dire straights after losing Ware and Hatcher, and possibly Spencer. And rightfully so. But with the Bears losing Peppers and Melton, wonder what the opinions are.

Do they think they are better off with Ratliff over us now having Melton? I think because of youth by itself Melton is an upgrade over Hatcher.
Allen and Spencer still in the mix. Then there is the draft. Will be interesting.

The problem is, The Bears are trying to use this hybrid 3-4/4-3 Defense. I don't think it is going to work. Also, their new GM seems to do well with FA but does not know how to draft.

CashMan

Reaction score
At least Melton didn't go after his owner when it was suggested that he wasn't rehabbing hard enough.

But then again, how often do you hear owners go after a player in the media? Ratliff might of been dogging it, but Jerry has a tendency to pay people prematurely. Remember, when Ellis was "hurt" Jerry met with him, paid him some money, then Ellis had like 10sacks in 8-10 games that one year?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Makes me love this signing even more. If it doesn't work out, JJ will get the blame, as well as Jason. But hey, they signed a fairly big name to fill a huge, gaping, hole. They tried.

That's my stance on the Brandon Carr and Claiborne picks and its astonishing to me that people choose those moves to show how incompetent Jerry is......WE and the worst secondary in the league. Instead of ignoring it they went out and got the best corner on the market and the best corner in the draft. If it doesn't work fine. That's life. You do things that you intend on working but they don't. But no one can convince me that the moves were bad. They were the RIGHT moves as is signing Henry Melton. It might not work. Sure. But you have to try.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But then again, how often do you hear owners go after a player in the media? Ratliff might of been dogging it, but Jerry has a tendency to pay people prematurely. Remember, when Ellis was "hurt" Jerry met with him, paid him some money, then Ellis had like 10sacks in 8-10 games that one year?

I won't fault Jerry for the Ratliff signing. Ratliff was incredibly underpaid and Jerry tried to reward him and it backfired because Jeremiah became a child.

CashMan

Reaction score
I won't fault Jerry for the Ratliff signing. Ratliff was incredibly underpaid and Jerry tried to reward him and it backfired because Jeremiah became a child.

Ratliff had like 2-3yrs left on his contract when Jerry resigned him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ratliff had like 2-3yrs left on his contract when Jerry resigned him.

I know.......he re-signed him to a deal to make Ratliff happy. He shouldn't have done it but it was his generosity getting the best of him and Ratliff took advantage.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas' only shot at Donald is to trade up because Chicago will take him. Now it comes down to how much like they like Jernigan or Ford.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas' only shot at Donald is to trade up because Chicago will take him. Now it comes down to how much like they like Jernigan or Ford.

We'll find out soon enough. But I don't do it and hope Jerry doesn't either.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I know.......he re-signed him to a deal to make Ratliff happy. He shouldn't have done it but it was his generosity getting the best of him and Ratliff took advantage.

Jerry's been burned (at least) twice trying to keep guys happy. TO is the other one.