Crayton sticks it to Brad Johnson on his arm strength

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
A buddy passed this along to me.

It was a quote from Patrick "Mr. Route" Crayton about Brad Johnson's lack of arm strength.

"We call him check-down Johnson."

Ha-Ha. Funny.

OK, I'm among those who wish Brad J were playing out his golden years somewhere else. I'm among those wishing that Simms could get a tryout here. I'm among those who think our lack of depth in QB is a weak link (aside from Mr. Marshmallow Wade Phillips).

But something seems odd about Crayton making fun of another teammate's abilities, because Crayton still has not shown a consistency that is needed by a No. 2 WR. And I cannot forgive him for giving up on that route last season. And for having a Reggie Swinton mouth without the attendant skills.

Anybody have a nickname for Crayton?
He needs to be knocked down a notch, iffin you ask me.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2170314 said:
A buddy passed this along to me.

It was a quote from Patrick "Mr. Route" Crayton about Brad Johnson's lack of arm strength.

"We call him check-down Johnson."

Ha-Ha. Funny.

OK, I'm among those who wish Brad J were playing out his golden years somewhere else. I'm among those wishing that Simms could get a tryout here. I'm among those who think our lack of depth in QB is a weak link (aside from Mr. Marshmallow Wade Phillips).

So Johnson doesn't have the biggest arm. If we brought Simms in, he would throw fastballs right into defenders' waiting hands, which is not an improvement IMO.

There is a reason why Simms in not being considered for a starting role, despite his massive physical talent.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Just another reason, however, to be just a little concerned about the backup QB situation

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a little harmless ribbing. Hell, I'd bet PC syas that right to Brad.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
How many times have we been over this about Crayton. The route he "gave up" on was supposed to be an out route. Crayton got on the corner so quickly that him and Romo thought the same thing - lets do the go route to the end zone. His hesitation, a mistake for sure, was more about being undecided on whether to break from the intended route of the play. It wasn't from quitting. Everyone from Wade to Romo talked about this following the game.

Crayton caught 50 passes for nearly 700 yards and 7 tds. That's pretty good production when you're playing opposite of a HOF caliber receiver and a TE that caught 96 passes. There is only one ball - as far as I'm aware of. Crayton talks a bit much for my liking, but he sure gets alot of grief for a couple of bad plays in an otherwise solid season.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
parcells316;2170394 said:
How many times have we been over this about Crayton. The route he "gave up" on was supposed to be an out route. Crayton got on the corner so quickly that him and Romo thought the same thing - lets do the go route to the end zone. His hesitation, a mistake for sure, was more about being undecided on whether to break from the intended route of the play. It wasn't from quitting. Everyone from Wade to Romo talked about this following the game.

Crayton caught 50 passes for nearly 700 yards and 7 tds. That's pretty good production when you're playing opposite of a HOF caliber receiver and a TE that caught 96 passes. There is only one ball - as far as I'm aware of. Crayton talks a bit much for my liking, but he sure gets alot of grief for a couple of bad plays in an otherwise solid season.
Spin it,Twist it, Sing it or make a freakin Poem about it if you like...Crayton QUIT on that route...that simple.

And I gotta say that I was and stil am still a Crayton fan. I'm just not going to make excuses for him.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Don't read more into that than what's really there. Even if he is specifically pointing out BJ's lack of arm strength, he never says he can't get the job done ... it just may take a little longer.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2170406 said:
Don't read more into that than what's really there. Even if he is specifically pointing out BJ's lack of arm strength, he never says he can't get the job done ... it just may take a little longer.

Wow, two rational people in a Noodle-arm Johnson thread? Get out!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Seven;2170387 said:
Sounds to me like a little harmless ribbing. Hell, I'd bet PC syas that right to Brad.

I agree. While Johnson does not have the big arm he does not go out and lose games for his team by making stupid mistakes.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
pot...kettle... What's that saying about he who is without sin... Crayton needs to prove he's something more than a #3 WR before he starts chucking criticism

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
tomson75;2170408 said:
Wow, two rational people in a Noodle-arm Johnson thread? Get out!

It happens every once in a while, just like a successful Brad Johnson-led drive.

juck

Reaction score
Who cares about that route.He dropped a game changing first down or touchdown on the slant and he knows it.Last time I check ole man noodle arm has a ring.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
parcells316;2170394 said:
His hesitation, a mistake for sure, was more about being undecided on whether to break from the intended route of the play. It wasn't from quitting. Everyone from Wade to Romo talked about this following the game.

As you said, a mistake, one that had the very same effect as if he had quit on the ball. Drifting around aimlessly because of indecision is equally bad, because the result is the same, IMO.

And his drop on the slant was also likely because of a lack of focus. Give this guy a pass if you want, but he OWES us, especially after hearing his mouth prior to the game. **** that noise. It's free passes that make a team soft. Hell, Curvin Richards fumbled a couple of balls that turned out to be pretty meaningless, and I'm sure any number of people could come up with countless reasons why it happened. Guess what? Jimmy could not care less and cut his *** directly after.

Man, I miss Jimmy! :bow:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I think Troy could throw a ball farther with his left arm.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
My point (no, not the one on my head) is that someone who has a lot to prove, like Crayton, should not point out deficiences of others.

He quit on that route.
The game was altered and thus, so too was the season.
I can forgive a bobble or a dropped ball or a missed block.
But to quit on a route is a cardinal sin.

Had it been anybody else ribbing Johnson, by heck, I might have joined in.
But Crayton needs to work on his follow-through on routes a bit more and run his mouth a bit less.

Johnson, for all his lack of abilities, has never quit on us.
And that is something Crayton could learn from old man Brad.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GimmeTheBall!;2170473 said:
:confused: Has he played much?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My point (no, not the one on my head) is that someone who has a lot to prove, like Crayton, should not point out deficiences of others.

He quit on that route.

But Crayton needs to work on his follow-through on routes a bit more and run his mouth a bit less.

It seems as if you are taking harmless humor and trying to make it into some type of attack from Crayton to Johnson.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score

He quit on that route.

I can see what you're saying, but you've got to remember that Crayton, in all reality, is still learning the position since he was a QB in college. That doesn't give him a pass on letting up on the play, but you have to put it in perspective.

Also, Crayton's skills aren't diminishing. Brad's, due to his age, are. That's just the facts of being an "old" football player.