Crazy Mock and Expectations

Sandyf

Reaction score
Crazy Mock and Expectations
On three weeks until free agency starts and although there will be a number of guys that are let go for salary cap reasons, going to look at what the Cowboys could do (hopefully do) and how what I believe will be crazy trades in the draft.
In free agency, I see Dallas being a bit more active than in past years. Believe we will sign Earl Thomas FS because he truly is still the best safety in the game. His range may have decreased but he is the smartest safety out there. He will QB the defense and make the defense better than it is.

If the Browns do not resign Greg Robinson, then I believe the Cowboys will sign him. If you look at his skill set, it is much like what the Cowboys OL runs. A former 1st round pick seems to be coming around and he isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. If Browns resign him then best bets would be we resign Cameron Fleming or someone similar but pickings are slim after those two for a quality backup.

I see us signing Tyler Eifert TE also. He needs a change of scenery and to see if he can stay healthy. Should be a low cost deal on a 1 year deal with an option for the 2nd year. When healthy, he is an outstanding TE and would be a nice addition. We also probably sign a CB, OLB, OG and possibly a K at least for camp.
Draft:
In the draft, it will be a long day with trades and guys falling, rising and the unexpected.

I see Arizona taking Nick Bosa DE with the 1st overall pick. 49ers take Josh Allen and Jets take Rashan Gary. Then I see Oakland taking Kyler Murry QB with the fourth pick and then the fun begins. Oakland will trade Murry, #27 and #35 to Arizona for Bosa. By waiting until the Oakland pick for the trade, both teams assure themselves of getting the player they want. Arizona will then trade Josh Rosen QB and Patrick Peterson CB to the NY Giants for #6 and #37. Giants trade Eli Manning to Jags for #38. Arizona trades #6 to Denver for #10 and #71. They will be a number of other trades go down in the first round.

In the second round, Dallas decides to jump into the fray trading #58, 3rd in 2020, Taco Charlton DE, Anthony Brown CB, and Jeff Heath S to Arizona for picks #35, #37, and #71. Dallas trade #37 for #54 and #77 follows other trades.

35. Dexter Lawrence DT Clemson - after falling out of the 1st round, Dallas finally decides to draft a mammoth DT that not only can stop the run but pressure the QB, a must in the Cowboy defense. Can he be a 3 down player is the question we hope McClay can answer.

54. Oshane Ximines DE Old Dominion - maybe the kind of player that Marinelli needs opposite of Lawrence. Definitely a great athlete and one that will make a difference. Great 1st step and good finisher.

71. Dave Edwards OT Wisconsin - definitely will be a starter someday at RT. Good feet and good length, a very tough player who is the kind of guy you want. With Collins in his contract year, definitely a fall back option and with the hopeful signing of Greg Robinson, it gives Dallas a great depth.

77. Kaden Smith TE Stanford - believe he will be there early 3rd round. Great seam runner, great route runner, large hands and extra large catch radius where he can really help the QB. Also will high point the ball very well and already a very good blocker.

90. Renell Wren DT Arizona St - a man with great size and excellent speed for a big man. Needs to learn to finish but Marinelli can help. Excellent athlete that could be a rare find in the 3rd round.

128. Bryce Love RB Stanford - would be an excellent compliment to Zeke and great out of the backfield on screens and pass routes. Would allow Zeke to rest more than 1 down at a time.

136 Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma - believe he falls due to size and foot injury but should be available sometime in training camp. He can fly, runs very good routes and can pull away. On the smallish size but would be an excellent slot or outside guy or special plays guy.

166. Michael Dogbe DT Temple - can play 1T or 3T, can rush the passer, one of those hidden gems.

243. Ashton Dulin WR Malone - a flyer on a small school guy that could be the next Jerry Rice type.

Hardline

Reaction score
Dexter Lawrence is still most likely a first rounder .
Kayden Smith and Bryce Love will not fall as far as you have them.
Marquise Brown may go in the first round also and definitely ain't making it out of the second round.

I appriciate peoples mock but please base them on some semblance of reality.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
In the second round, Dallas decides to jump into the fray trading #58, 3rd in 2020, Taco Charlton DE, Anthony Brown CB, and Jeff Heath S to Arizona for picks #35, #37, and #71. Dallas trade #37 for #54 and #77 follows other trades.
Well, you're right, it's crazy. Let's see,

By the traditional value chart:
#58: 320
2020 3rd: ~70
Total: 390

#35: 550
#37: 530
#71: 235
Total: 1315

1315-390 = 925

So, receiving a net of 925 points (that would be pick 17.5 in the first round). Now we estimate the trade value of the players we give up:
Taco Charlton: 0
Jeff Heath: 0
Anthony Brown: 10

Nope, that won't quite get us there. In fact, it won't even get us pick 37.

DanA

Reaction score
Remember when Seatle called us and said they’d trade Earl Thomas for pick 50?

So we’re offering Taco to Oakland for pick 35 and NYG are taking Brown for 37?

Sydla

Reaction score
One other thing, a lot of people are looking for the "compliment" TB to Zeke. I wonder why.

Frankly, I'd be looking at late round guys that might have some potential to take over for Elliott in 2-3 years.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Dexter Lawrence is still most likely a first rounder .
Kayden Smith and Bryce Love will not fall as far as you have them.
Marquise Brown may go in the first round also and definitely ain't making it out of the second round.

I appriciate peoples mock but please base them on some semblance of reality.
Definitely understand where you are coming from but every year I hear the same thing about this guy or that guy and no way they fall to this round or that round. Yet every year it happens. Injuries play a big part, the combine will play a part, guys taken by teams far ahead of where they are predicted play a part so I will stick with it and apologize when it doesn't happen.

Lawrence may go 1st round but my feeling it would be late 1st at the best. He still has to answer for the accidental use of wrong drugs.
Malcolm Brown had a LisFranc injury and we all know there is no guarantee that he will be ready at the start of the season or even out for the year.
Bryce Love had ACL surgery in December 2018, again should be ready by start of season but it does take a whole year to get right.
Kaden Smith is a product of a good and deep TE class. He isn't going 1st round and second is iffy but entirely possible.

Again I probably I'm wrong but we see it every year and this year will be no different.