Creating a case for TE at 26 - Kincaid

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of taking a TE at 26. The positional value is a little iffy for me and I'm on the fence if there is a TE in this class worth the selection.That being said, after watching a Kincaid a few times dude arguably has the best hands / ball skills in this class. He runs quality routes, catches everything (bad balls included) and wins jump balls in the end-zone like #1 WRs do. You have to look at him as a mismatch TE weapon (Goeder, Engram) instead of the traditional inline.

- If he tests out like an athletic freak at his pro day
- If the WR board is wiped (Johnston, Addison, Flowers, JSN all gone)
- If our Offense can use him correctly and get him on the field (don't give me the BS excuse he can't block and make him TE3 year 1)
- If we sign / trade for a solid vet WR (OBJ / Hops / Cooks / etc...)

Obviously a lot of IFs but in this scenario I could get excited about a draft like (used PFF mock sim):

- Dalton Kincaid / TE
- Eli Ricks / CB
- Tyler Scott / WR

2023 O:

WR1: Lamb
WR2: OBJ (if healthy)
WR3: MG / Scott
WR4: MG / Scott
WR5: Tolbert

TE / Flex: Kincaid

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Good write up.

When is Utah’s pro day, do you know? I’m very interested in how Kincaid tests.

If he does too well, I think it might have him gone by pick 26. He’s such a smooth operator in everything he does.

tm1119

Reaction score
I kinda doubt he’s going to test like a “freak”. Nor do I think that should be the contingent of whether he’s worth the pick or not. The game tape speaks for its self in my eyes. Now will he be BPA is a different story…I will say I would rather take Kincaid over most of the WR’s.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I kinda doubt he’s going to test like a “freak”. Nor do I think that should be the contingent of whether he’s worth the pick or not. The game tape speaks for its self in my eyes. Now will he be BPA is a different story…I will say I would rather take Kincaid over most of the WR’s.
Athleticism is part of the eval and should be IMO. There is a direct correlation to the top TEs in football being high end athletes.

I wouldn’t want to try and draft an outlier.

tm1119

Reaction score
Athleticism is part of the eval and should be IMO. There is a direct correlation to the top TEs in football being high end athletes.

Depends what your definition of “high end” athlete is. If Kincaid runs in the 4.6’s with a 35ish vert it’s perfectly fine.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Yeah this is what I think. The wide receiver class isn’t so impressive and a big target they can do other things you’re still a weapon I would take a date in over a wide receiver this year

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schultz vs the 3 top TE's in this class and what else do they add:

Schultz vs Mayer - what would improve

Much better blocking
Close in athleticism - not a true deep threat
Better route runner, but this is close
Security blanket for Dak - think Witten

vs Kincaid

WR in a TE body - obvious better athlete
Adds more explosion to the offense
Great redzone target
Better hands

vs Washington

Better blocking - basically a 6th OL
Huge redzone target
Still questions on his actually receiving skills - not used as much, but oozing with potential
Better athlete

Assuming we add a WR in FA or via trade - Kincaid and Mayer to me would take the offense up a notch and I'm good with that in the 1st. Washington might end up doing that, but it could take a couple years.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Depends what your definition of “high end” athlete is. If Kincaid runs in the 4.6’s with a 35ish vert it’s perfectly fine.
The best and most dynamic TEs in the NFL run in the 4.6s - most of them being timed at the actual combine.

It’ll be tough for an accurate gauge bc we’re looking at pro day numbers so I’ll add .05 to whatever he runs. Due to his lack of length ideally he flies.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Draft history is littered with 'athletic freaks' that busted because they were much better athletes than football players

That is why TAPE should ALWAYS be more important than any underwear olympics

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of taking a TE at 26. The positional value is a little iffy for me and I'm on the fence if there is a TE in this class worth the selection.That being said, after watching a Kincaid a few times dude arguably has the best hands / ball skills in this class. He runs quality routes, catches everything (bad balls included) and wins jump balls in the end-zone like #1 WRs do. You have to look at him as a mismatch TE weapon (Goeder, Engram) instead of the traditional inline.

- If our Offense can use him correctly and get him on the field (don't give me the BS excuse he can't block and make him TE3 year 1)

Obviously a lot of IFs but in this scenario I could get excited about a draft like (used PFF mock sim):

- Dalton Kincaid / TE
- Eli Ricks / CB
- Tyler Scott / WR

2023 O:

There is no case

cnuball21

Reaction score
Draft history is littered with 'athletic freaks' that busted because they were much better athletes than football players

That is why TAPE should ALWAYS be more important than any underwear olympics
Of course. The combine is also littered with guys with great tape that were below average athletes that never became starters.

In the 1st round you’re trying to reduce the chance of bust - which equals great tape and great athlete.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Of course. The combine is also littered with guys with great tape that were below average athletes that never became starters.

In the 1st round you’re trying to reduce the chance of bust - which equals great tape and great athlete.
NO. numbers never equal tape.
Time has proven that

Cowboyny

Reaction score

- Dalton Kincaid / TE
- Eli Ricks / CB
- Tyler Scott / WR

2023 O:

We need offensive playmakers, no matter if it is at RB, WR or TE. Kincaid is just that. Sure, we need to see how he tests out, but he looks like a sure fire 1st rd prospect, who may even not be available at 26.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I keep coming back to this:

Who was the last 1st round TE that made a huge difference for the team that drafted him?
It’s a good question but I’d argue the game has changed so much the last decade or so to almost requiring teams to have a dynamic passing attack to have a chance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a good question but I’d argue the game has changed so much the last decade or so to almost requiring teams to have a dynamic passing attack to have a chance.
Of which 1st round TE’s haven’t shown themselves to be a valuable part.

Hence my point.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Im not on board with this

Im not taking a TE just because the QB failed last year in the playoffs

TEs take time to develop and make an impact.