Video: Critical Analysis of each run by Zeke | Film Review

Soth

Reaction score
Zeke needs to do better. He is the only elite player on offense outside of Zack Martin. He is our only real weapon. We really can't expect much from the rest of the group. Swaim will never be Witten, no matter how hard he practices. Hurns will never be as good as Dez in his prime. Dak is no Brady.

But Zeke, is freaking ZEKE. He needs to start acting like it. He is the only player on the team that opponents respect and even fear. Back in 2016 you could tell that defensive players were scared to death of Zeke. He can have a big psychological effect on opposing players, and even our own players. You could tell the whole team was pumped after Zeke made a big play or punished a defensive player. He made everyone else better and opened up passing game.

He has not played well so far this year. He is not terrible, but he is not playing up to his talent. I know the line is not as good as 2016, but they are still decent in the running game. Like I said, I don't expect guys like Jarwin, Swaim, Gallup, Hurns, etc to be playmakers.

I think they should give him the ball more, even if he is just gaining 2-3 yards. If we keep pounding the ball we will eventually start to see open lanes and Zeke starts getting 5-6 or more. Our passing game is not effective and I doubt it will suddenly get better. I don't trust our coaches to come up with a better offensive plan, so just stick to the basics and run the ball more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Review every run by Zeke. The O-line did their job.

The Dallas offensive line steamed rolled the Seahawks defense. Zeke had 16 carries for 127 YDS. That is averaging 8 yards per carry. I get that Zeke made three mental mistakes. That is not typical Zeke. For this team to win,Zeke should get 30 touches per game. Collins and Martin are total beast when they are run blocking. Dallas needs to allow the O-line to impose their will on other teams.

Give Zeke the ball and let him run. This gets the play action passing working and also controls the TOP. When Dallas moves the ball methodically down the field the opposing team’s defense gets tired and sloppy which equates for bigger runs throughout the game. Controlling the clock also keeps the Dallas defense fresh.

Run Zeke more, that's why the Cowboys drafted a RB with a top 5 pick.

They didnt run the ball good in 1st qtr. I think they were behind 17-3 before the run game got going.,

Zeke should get 30 touches per game.... I agree, but maybe S. Jones doesnt want him running that much?
also I thought about it and unless dallas has several "drives" he wont get many carries.
The more drives the more carries he can get. Dallas has too many 3 and outs.
They should be a run heavy team, not balanced or pass heavy.

I was more impressed with carson running the ball for seattle than I was zeke.
That guy made a lot of yds just with extra effort.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Familiarity with the system would be the only reason

I think it's the "we've got our system, next man up" garbage.

But maybe Olawale completely stinks too, and we've got 4 "skill" position blockers we're carrying on the roster who they judge vastly inferior to Swain.

Snap Count
Swaim 163
Jarwin 48
Olawale 18
Rico 10
Schulz 2

superonyx

Reaction score
This guy's dialog is hard to listen to.
He sounds like an angry nerd who tries to much tough guy coach speak.
His bias show through a few times.

Sounds like that nerd you sit next to at the sports bar and quickly move away from him as soon as he starts speaking,

John813

Reaction score
It's bad when you wish you still had Fasano or older Dan Campbell on your roster.
Seriously, call up Anthony Fasano. Still was a very good blocker last year for Miami.
Better than the crap out there now.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He’s an air head.

But wow...we don’t have a single tight end who can really churn out blocks. Disappointed w/Swaim.

Witten you need to dump that trashy girl ESPN, and give us a half season. C’mon bro! And bring Tony w/you!
At this point I'd take Hanna back, at least he was a good blocker.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
This guy's dialog is hard to listen to. He sounds like an angry nerd who tries to much tough guy coach speak. His bias show through a few times.
Sounds like that nerd you sit next to at the sports bar and quickly move away from him as soon as he starts speaking,

I do the best that I can on the video. My voice and cadence has changed as I have gotten older, it is what it is. I am bias for the Cowboys. The tough guy part made me laugh. The nerd part was funny as well. The angry part puzzled me. I have always tried to be polite in this forum and on others.

Thank you for watching the video even though you did not find it appealing.

See you around.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
They didnt run the ball good in 1st qtr. I think they were behind 17-3 before the run game got going.,

Zeke should get 30 touches per game.... I agree, but maybe S. Jones doesnt want him running that much?
also I thought about it and unless dallas has several "drives" he wont get many carries.
The more drives the more carries he can get. Dallas has too many 3 and outs.
They should be a run heavy team, not balanced or pass heavy.

I was more impressed with carson running the ball for seattle than I was zeke.
That guy made a lot of yds just with extra effort.

I think Dallas has to start Zeke early to get the offense working. We both agree that it did work in the second half. Dallas has to work on several throwing strategies . Quick release pass to Beasley and Tavon and also throwing deeper bombs on 9 routes. It is tough to win games not converting 3rd downs.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think Dallas has to start Zeke early to get the offense working. We both agree that it did work in the second half. Dallas has to work on several throwing strategies . Quick release pass to Beasley and Tavon and also throwing deeper bombs on 9 routes. It is tough to win games not converting 3rd downs.
Another frustrating thing is that Tavon is averaging about 11yds a carry, but only gets 1 carry a game. That average won't hold, but he does need a couple more touches. A couple two back sets with Zeke and Tavon in the backfield, whatever it takes to get our playmakers the ball.

superonyx

Reaction score
I do the best that I can on the video. My voice and cadence has changed as I have gotten older, it is what it is. I am bias for the Cowboys. The tough guy part made me laugh. The nerd part was funny as well. The angry part puzzled me. I have always tried to be polite in this forum and on others.

Thank you for watching the video even though you did not find it appealing.

See you around.
I'm just giving you a hard time. Your voice is fine......it's better than mine :)

Thanks for the video. It was a good watch. Keep em coming.

Sorry for the razing.

jrumann59

Reaction score

The Dallas offensive line steamed rolled the Seahawks defense. Zeke had 16 carries for 127 YDS. That is averaging 8 yards per carry. I get that Zeke made three mental mistakes. That is not typical Zeke. For this team to win,Zeke should get 30 touches per game. Collins and Martin are total beast when they are run blocking. Dallas needs to allow the O-line to impose their will on other teams.

Give Zeke the ball and let him run. This gets the play action passing working and also controls the TOP. When Dallas moves the ball methodically down the field the opposing team’s defense gets tired and sloppy which equates for bigger runs throughout the game. Controlling the clock also keeps the Dallas defense fresh.

I do not fault zeke on the fumble I really don't with this offense being as inept as its been, he was trying to make a play, you could see it while he was running he was thinking EZ by an means possible. This team's limited number of playmakers are "over trying" and leading to breakdowns.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree, but dallas has a bunch of problems and no solutions.
I was watching the seattle game again, and on 3 plays dak was sacked in 3 seconds !! lol
you cant even throw a quick pass because the wr are not ready in 2-3 seconds. no one to throw too.

Dallas isnt picking up the various blitz's, and on some plays the way the linemen pull and block they create holes for a lb to
come thru free.
The Rb's should stay in to block, but they slip out too early to catch a ball that wont be thrown lol. It is a mess.

I would like to take all the Dak critics, and make them play qb for dallas for 1 qtr and see what is like lol.
I would not want to be in Daks place except for the money.
If I was a qb, dallas would be the last team I would choose to play for.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's good that you are attempting to analyze games; however...

Run #1:
Looney didn't push his man 7 or 8 yards. It's a zone run and the DT is running down the line. Looney let the DT get back to the inside to get in on the tackle of Zeke.

Run #2:
Swaim did not have responsibility for #54. The Cowboys generally don't pull the TE into the hole. I've reviewed all run plays this season and zero times have they pulled the TE into the hole. They have pulled the TE across to block on the outside many times this season.

Generally teams don't pull a blocker into the hole on Zone runs.

They have had plays this season where the player in 54's spot had already come forward (into the backfield) before the TE got to that spot and they still didn't block that player.

The idea on that play was to sell that they were passing. They expected the DE to jump to the outside. Collins was to stay in place until the DE jumped outside and then Collins would block down on #54. When they did this in the past, I've referred to it as a ping-pong block (i.e. The OT looks like a ping-pong going from the chip block on the DE back to the inside for his primary block).

It was a read-option but normally the DE is the read key; however, since the DE didn't jump outside there was not anything to "read". Ideally Dak should have kept the ball himself as Swaim was coming across to be his lead blocker and the WR on the outside was coming in to attempt to block the other outside defender.

Watch other read option plays. The DE is normally NOT blocked (Might be chip blocked before the OT gets back to his primary inside block, but the DE is "free" and has to decide to either attempt to tackle the RB or the QB).

The primary fail on this play (like many other Cowboys plays) is that the defense knew what was coming and didn't bite at all on it being a pass play.

ghst187

Reaction score

And these are just a few of the many reasons this staff should be fired

TheHerd

Reaction score
One this front office and coaching staff would spend a top 4 pick on a RB, 3 #1s on OL, carry 4 TEs worrying more about how they can block them how they run or catch passes, and then give that RB the ball 16 times a game despite him averaging more than 5 ypc.

You can't make this stuff up.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hahah.

Well, looks like we'll probably be taking a TE in the first few rounds. Definitely need to sign one as well, and a decent one at that.

Schultz can stay because hes a rookie and even the top Stanford guys needed some time. Everyone else, well, bye.