CFZ Cross Training T.J. Bass at Center

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL that's some overthinking there, bro.. :laugh:

let's just hope tylerB doesn't go down, that'll be better. this is probably why i don't understand why both faranak and lindstrom were cut. and neither made it back to the practice squad. i mean literally who is our backup center??..
Sean Harlow

65C6-4284284Oregon State

T-RO

Reaction score
Just get your snaps in boys. 10,000 practice snaps...and anyone...everyone... is a NFL caliber center.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Center adjustments will come slowly at this point, unless some kind of trade is born...I'm still lost in space on Harlow, beyond doubts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
:laugh:

Miami-Dolphins-Field-Goal-Snap-Fail-GIF.gif
This is exactly what's going to happen if Biadasz goes down. All thanks to the morons in charge of this team. You don't mess around with the most important position on the oline, especially with a very hard schedule like this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is exactly what's going to happen if Biadasz goes down. All thanks to the morons in charge of this team. You don't mess around with the most important position on the oline, especially with a very hard schedule like this year.
Here is who is handling this situation:

OFFENSIVE LINE​

MIKE SOLARI​

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy discussed cross training T.J. Bass at Center in his latest press conference. He said that in addition to learning the mental aspects of the position, a player needs about 10,000 practice snaps to obtain the muscle memory needed to be a good center. So, doing a little math:

If someone can go through a cadence and snap the ball about 3 times a minute (1 snap every 20 seconds on average), that means he can do about 180 practice snaps in an hour. If T.J. Bass were to dedicate himself to one-hour each day practicing snapping the ball, including his off days, he could get in about 1260 snaps a week. At that pace, it would take him about 8 weeks to obtain the muscle memory required to become competent to be the Cowboys backup center.

The Cowboys are going to play 6 games over the next two months, leading up to their 7th game against the LA Rams on October 29th, which occurs after the bye week. With two centers on the practice squad, the Cowboys can activate each practice squad center 3 times each to get through the first 6 games. After that time, if Bass puts the work in, he could become the backup center on the team for the final 11 games of the season, plus any playoffs. Of course, Bass would need to continue practicing at center to gain even more experience in practice during the season. But it is possible to create a realistic plan for Bass to become the Cowboys' primary back-up center by the end of October.

I cannot verify that this will be the plan of the Cowboys, but just running the numbers, this plan makes sense to me. We'll see if he becomes trusted to be the backup center after October.
I don’t think McCArthy was talking only about snapping the football. :)
It requires different footwork, blocking techniques and body positioning.

rambo2

Reaction score
Cab you run it better than a moron?

Hardline

Reaction score
There we go… Center makes Pro bowl… let’s draft a backup Center in the 2nd round!
You wouldn't be drafting a backup center. He would be an immediate starter. That is like saying by drafting Travis Frederick he would be a backup center.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I don't know much about the young man, but what they said about his demeanor is what I like. Nasty and mean, or something like that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Harlow, Hoffman, and Bass.
Harlow is a bust journeyman who is on his 3rd or 4th team now.

Hoffman is limited, but he does have a little practice at Center.

Bass is a bonafied Guard who has never played Center ever in his life. Asking him to suddenly be able to play the Center position right now when the season is about to start is beyond ludicrous. It takes a good year or more to learn the Center position.

Farniok was a better Center than these guys. Farniok had experience and even looked good this preseason when he did get to play Center. For some weird reason, the Cowboys got rid of their best backup Center.

Everyone had best hope Biadasz stays healthy. If he gets injured, especially early this season, it's going to become a mess at Center with whoever is chosen to step in out of the 3 you just mentioned.

rambo2

Reaction score
Harlow is a bust journeyman who is on his 3rd or 4th team now.

Hoffman is limited, but he does have a little practice at Center.

Bass is a bonafied Guard who has never played Center ever in his life. Asking him to suddenly be able to play the Center position right now when the season is about to start is beyond ludicrous. It takes a good year or more to learn the Center position.

Farniok was a better Center than these guys. Farniok had experience and even looked good this preseason when he did get to play Center. For some weird reason, the Cowboys got rid of their best backup Center.

Everyone had best hope Biadasz stays healthy. If he gets injured, especially early this season, it's going to become a mess at Center with whoever is chosen to step in out of the 3 you just mentioned.
If Farniok was better, they would have kept him.