Twitter: CSG: I'm not convinced the cowboys run defense is in crisis it just had a really bad game

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Run defense is usually an easy fix because it’s about playing assignment sound football and has such a low correlation to winning. The safeties were terrible in run support last game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I disagree. twice we have given up 200+ yards. this past game over 250 yards. we are giving up 4.3 ypc. not good. we are 19th in the league in run defense. our run defense is very suspect.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They've had three really bad games, and they've all happened when the defense didn't a have a big lead to force teams into pass mode.

Sometimes you have to win a game when you don't score 30+ on offense. This defense struggles in those games, and it's always the run.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I believe the run defense can be fixed whenever DQ chooses too. When the Cowboys load the box and still get ran on then I'll be concerned.

cmoney23

Reaction score
The breakdown in run defense is all in how we scheme our defense. We want to create pressure off the edges with sound interior presence. Teams that can attack us on the edges in the run game will excel.

We will slow our pursuit to the passer on the edges and correct the issue but we won't be as effective in pressuring the QB.

Fortunately for us we have a very proliffect offense that scores teams out of running the ball. PLUS football these days is so pass heavy that teams staying with the run is not normal.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Help the defense overall by moving the chains on offense and getting into the end zone.

This is a good defense…but it needs cooperation from the offense.

Praxit

Reaction score
......good analysis. The Defense is fast pressure machine.

Thats thier default mode. They sometimes need to switch off and go hybrid.

DQ hopefully, will find ways to switch off the fast mode and go into strategic mode.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Maybe physics will convince folks. We simply don't have the size or experience to beat the better running teams.

Think if we had our 2016 running game...and we were facing this defense. Would you be scared or excited?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Having a defence that creates opportunities by confounding the offence with attacks in various gaps makes said defence suspect with the run.

If loss of gap control continues into the playoffs, and the Cowboys have to travel to an outdoor venue this could be problematic.

We need to find a away to rush the passer and affect the QB without vacating gaps, and constantly running stunts and games.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Revisit after the next two games. Teams with good run attacks with speed
Sorry guy, I was a linebacker in college...

I believe in defense. I was a Falcon and then a Javelina, but our defense were the Border Bandits. Today, that is a relevant term as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Maybe physics will convince folks. We simply don't have the size or experience to beat the better running teams.

Think if we had our 2016 running game...and we were facing this defense. Would you be scared or excited?
That as well may open up some turn-overs and change any sense of desparity.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
stats lie

you wont have a perfect game every game,

heres something the stats dont say

the other team was better that day, deal with it