Twitter: CSG: I'm not convinced the cowboys run defense is in crisis it just had a really bad game

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maybe physics will convince folks. We simply don't have the size or experience to beat the better running teams.

Think if we had our 2016 running game...and we were facing this defense. Would you be scared or excited?
Our defense is good at what matters.

Anyone trying to run the ball to a championship is going to need a lot of luck.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sorry guy, I was a linebacker in college...

I believe in defense. I was a Falcon and then a Javelina, but our defense were the Border Bandits. Today, that is a relevant term as well.
Defense In todays NFL is just the other special teams.

The rules don’t allow teams to play real defense anymore.

It’s all a bend don’t break mentality in hopes your defense can force a mistake.

Dallas is only as good as their offense. That’s the reality.

CCBoy

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas — Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins did not practice once again on Thursday, as he continues to rehab the ankle that he injured against the Philadelphia Eagles on Dec. 10 in hopes of returning before the end of the regular season.

When asked on Thursday if he was going to try and push to get a game in before the start of the playoffs, Hankins seemed confident that he could get more than one game in.

"Trying to get a few games in before the playoffs," Hankins said. "I think we're just trying to be smart and play it safe and just understand what we got ahead of us."
Hankins sees the Dec. 30 game against the Detroit Lions as a realistic target date to return as he looks forward to playing against his hometown team in the final regular season home game of the season.

"I think Detroit is realistic," he said about his return. "I'm from Detroit so it'd be nice to play against them."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/johnathan-hankins-sees-detroit-game-as-realistic-return

CCBoy

Reaction score
Defense In todays NFL is just the other special teams.

The rules don’t allow teams to play real defense anymore.

It’s all a bend don’t break mentality in hopes your defense can force a mistake.

Dallas is only as good as their offense. That’s the reality.
Dallas defense was built to make it hard on quarterbacks...You shoot too soon.

It has a good pass rush and secondary...which matches well with today's game.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys can't catch a cold
The Cowboys took the field without Hankins for the first time this season when they traveled north to Buffalo and allowed a season-high 266 rushing yards in a big 31-10 defeat. Moving forward, Hankins hopes to see the defensive unit get back to what it knows it can do.

"It was tough to watch the game," he said. "That's definitely not our standard of play. To see them run and get that many yards, it was definitely hurtful. This week, we just have to take it back to the basics, understand how we play and do the things we need to do. I think this week will be a different team out there compared to last week."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/johnathan-hankins-sees-detroit-game-as-realistic-return

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas defense was built to make it hard on quarterbacks...You shoot too soon.

It has a good pass rush and secondary...which matches well with today's game.
I think Dallas has a top 3-5 defense.

NFal defenses just suck.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tagovailoa is literally the film college coaches use to teach the run-pass option and the system head coach Mike McDaniel brought to South Florida perfectly matches Tagovailoa’s skill set. The Dolphins offense is built to pull the defense up, using the running game and the short passes to lull a defense into watching for the slant, only to then have Tyreek Hill or Jaylen Waddle break long for the deep shot.

The Dolphins’ offense loves the slant and in-crossing routes. Tagovailoa’s anticipation and accuracy allows him to be a perfectly placed ball in the spot where the receiver is going to be, even before the receiver’s break has been made. He fits the ball into tight spaces, and he does it with seeming ease.

The Cowboys can disrupt Miami’s passing attack by keeping their linebackers home, putting them in the passing lanes for the slants and crossing routes. Tagovailoa will either be forced into making bad passes, or turning to his check down options. Running backs Raheem Mostert and De’Von Achane coming out of the backfield as receiving options in the flat or on wheel routes can be dangerous, but they are not the primary options and they are not Hill or Waddle.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-hill-injuries-offensvie-line-spread-gambling

CCBoy

Reaction score
It has been ugly when it comes to the Dolphins’ offensive line. Each of their starters has been playing well this year, but injuries are just crushing them. Left tackle Terron Armstead has been limited to seven games. When he is on the field, he is a dominant player who completely changes the line, but lingering injuries have continued to be the story of his career. Left guard Isaiah Wynn has been on injured reserve for most of the season and will not be coming back. Robert Jones and Lester Cotton have been replacing him, and they are fine. Jones is a good run blocker and he can be effective at either guard position.

Center Connor Williams suffered a torn ACL two weeks ago. He had been one of the top-graded centers in the league, and now Miami has to replace him. Liam Eichenberg, who has served as a pseudo-utility interior lineman, assumes the starting role, but he has a calf injury that had him questionable for the game last week and is still bothering him this week. He could play against the New York Jets, but he definitely was not 100 percent. If Eichenberg is not able to play, Jonotthan Harrison would likely start in his place, despite having been with the Dolphins for about a week now. Miami also has Matt Skura on the practice squad, giving them another option for the position if needed.

At right guard, Robert Hunt has been dealing with a hamstring injury for much of the season and it continues to sideline him. Eichenberg was playing well in his place, but now has to move to center. Jones likely starts here if Hunt is unable to play, with Cotton then in place to start at left guard. At right tackle, Austin Jackson has been a really good player this year and the most consistent of Miami’s linemen, but he is dealing with an oblique injury. I would expect him to play, but he is not at 100 percent. The offensive line is definitely a concern, but at least the Cowboys do not have a crushing pass rush or anything.

Wait...

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-hill-injuries-offensvie-line-spread-gambling

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This topic has been talked about plenty, but the run d is very fixable just have to commit more bodies to play closer to the line. Have to trust the backend players to own more 1:1 matchups, and for the pass rush to force the ball out earlier which we've had success with.

1942willys

Reaction score
266 yards on 49 carries for an average of 5.4 yards per attempt. I am surprised they even had any 3rd downs.

10+ minutes of time of possession.

I am pretty sure you lose 100% of any game with similar stats.
Not always. I believe we had that edge in TOP vs the Giants in the playoff game in 2007. We had a ten minute drive in the first half.
but the O Line got worn down as the Giants were able to platoon their D line.
Thankfully no one has that kind of depth anymore.

plasticman

Reaction score
Defense is always give and take. The Cowboy's defense was built to defend the passing game. They have sacrificed size for speed.

In addition, the two defenders that are probably the most valuable against a running offense is injured. That would be Hankins and Vander Esch. If your opponent is missing their big MLB and DT then it is practically an open invitation to run down the middle.

I've seen HC's exploit a weakness on the Cowboys, only to take advantage briefly before returning to some other strategy.

Not the Bills. They used the Parcells strategy.....keep doing what is successful until they find a way to stop it.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They've had three really bad games, and they've all happened when the defense didn't a have a big lead to force teams into pass mode.

Sometimes you have to win a game when you don't score 30+ on offense. This defense struggles in those games, and it's always the run.
It wasn't even so much about having a big lead. The offense struggled to even move the chains in those three games. I feel like even when this defense is struggling, if the offense can at least keep things tight they will rally enough stops to give a chance to win. The Seahawks game was a good indicator of that. Both defenses were obviously gassed out from the brutal 3 game holiday schedule, but in the end our guys had enough left to go out and make plays late to seal the deal because the offense was able to give them some long drives to give them time to suck in some oxygen.

Even with the few stinkers of games they've had, they are still one of the best defenses in the league. And every top 5 defense has had some 30+ point stinkers (except the niners, and even they gave up 29 to the Cards).

It's just the way the league is now. Offenses have all the advantages so there are going to be games where you need your offense to be the one to save the day.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You can't miss tackles and get dumb penalties. You're spoon feeding the opposition.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with the original post. I do think the Cowboys defense is prone to the kind of run defense lapses they had against the Bills but I also think it as a lot of bad tackling and some play calling by the Bills at just the right times.

But, I am worried about how poorly they can play on the road.