Curious: Thoughts on Cornell Green...

Dion2288

Reaction score
With all of the ROH talk, I was curious about any thoughts y'all may have on Cornell Green. Due to relation, I have a biased opinion on him. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him in action myself.

Maybe those that saw him play can educate us young bucks on him or any of the players from the 60's and 70's who truly deserve ROH or HOF recognition. Feel free to direct me to any threads that may apply.

Reaction score
Cornell was getting up there in age when I was first watching the Cowboys...
So while he was a big tough CB, he was getting past his prime then...

It was a pleasure however to meet him at the NFL scouting combine here in Indy a few years back and have a beer with him & talk football...

I think he said he was scouting for the Cards?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Cornell was getting up there in age when I was first watching the Cowboys...
So while he was a big tough CB, he was getting past his prime then...

It was a pleasure however to meet him at the NFL scouting combine here in Indy a few years back and have a beer with him & talk football...

I think he said he was scouting for the Cards?

Ahhh... Don't blame their drafts on him.....

Dion2288

Reaction score
He actually scouted for the Broncos since @ 84...Reeves brought him over. He just retired after this past draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dion2288 said:
With all of the ROH talk, I was curious about any thoughts y'all may have on Cornell Green. Due to relation, I have a biased opinion on him. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him in action myself.

Maybe those that saw him play can educate us young bucks on him or any of the players from the 60's and 70's who truly deserve ROH or HOF recognition. Feel free to direct me to any threads that may apply.

Cornell Green was actually a Basketball player when Dallas found him at Utah State. Green was actually a 1st round draft pick by the NBA but ellected to play football. Extremely good athlete with tremendous size for the position. 6-4, 211 lbs. Hey played both CB and Safety. This guy really was an acceptional athlete. Played 13 years, was a 5 time Pro Bowler and a 4 time All Pro. Really amazing considering he never played football in college. Lead the team in INTs 4 times. His nickname was "Boards".

I've seen interviews with Mel Renfro and according to Renfro, Cornell was the best athlete he'd seen at DB. Believes it's an oversight not to have him in the ROH or the HOF. What a surprise.

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates DION2288 & ABQ...

Longboys:
I wasn't blaming anything on him...
He is a good guy, was nice to meet him...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cornell was a very good CB. He belongs in the ROH. HOF is a stretch but he was very talented. If that team had won another SB things might be different.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jobberone said:
Cornell was a very good CB. He belongs in the ROH. HOF is a stretch but he was very talented. If that team had won another SB things might be different.
I don't think it is a stretch at all to believe that Cornell Green belongs in the ROH or even the HoF (not EVER gonna happen, but...). I had the privilege of seeing him play and he was a tremendous athlete. In those days a CB was actually allowed to play football and he was a dominate corner with his size, strength and athleticism.

notherbob

Reaction score
Cornell was the best of his time, a true cover corner. Deserves to be in both ROH and HOF.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
notherbob said:
Cornell was the best of his time, a true cover corner. Deserves to be in both ROH and HOF.

Probably does but looking at the cowboys that were snubbed, I don't think there's a chance for him getting into the HOF

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I don't think it is a stretch at all to believe that Cornell Green belongs in the ROH or even the HoF (not EVER gonna happen, but...). I had the privilege of seeing him play and he was a tremendous athlete. In those days a CB was actually allowed to play football and he was a dominate corner with his size, strength and athleticism.

I said he belongs in the ROH. The Hall is a stretch because he's been over looked so long. I think he belongs in the HOF but they don't ask me. He played 13 years and was slightly overshadowed by Renfro which IMO didn't help his Hall chances. He made the Pro Bowl 5 times.

He was a very good player on some very good teams. He still has a chance for both. The ROH is long overdue IMO.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Cornell Green was one of the most underrated players of his era and has been forgotten by most of the media for years.

I watched him play for almost his entire career (missed his rookie season). He was an excellent cover corner, a solid tackler, a very physical player who used his size to deny receivers the ball, and he could play both Corner and Safety.

He did a good job against some of the best WRs in the game, and was one of the best DBs in the game during the late 60s-early 70s as his 5 Pro-Bowls attest.

Dion2288

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your input. As I mentioned earlier, all of his highlights come from NFL Films clips. Unfortunately, they're always of the Packers getting over on them, chasing Fran Tarkenton around, or trying not to be run over by him.

Not to name drop, but he is my uncle and a long time idol of mine. It's awesome to hear him tell stories about the 1st generation Cowboys, coach Landry, and what a great player guys like Jim Brown were.

Unfortunately, like many of the 1st and 2nd gen Cowboys, he has no hope of or doesn't expect to be honored by the team. That's why it's so important to have a Cowboys HOF at the new stadium. It honors thw past, and makes up for the previous snubs by management.

Once again thanks.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Thanks for the updates DION2288 & ABQ...

Longboys:
I wasn't blaming anything on him...
He is a good guy, was nice to meet him...

I'll have to remember to put the ;) in next time.....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Early in my football fan life, we brought over Herb Adderley from GB and paired him with Mel Renfro at CB....that pushed Cornell Green to safety, and I thought he was a better safety than CB.